George Street Photo & Video
www.georgestreetphoto.com Chicago, IL 50 to 149 Employees

George Street Photo & Video Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Tim Muller

A great way to fill out my wedding season!

Washington, DC

Pros-George Street actually cares about their photographers, and treats them as if they matter. They consistently ask for feedback on current policies and make adjustments where needed.
    -I have the freedom to run my own business, and that doesn't step on anyones toes
    -They are one of the only studios who allows me to keep (and use!) the photos I shoot with them
    -I don't have to edit, cull, or spend any time on the client before the wedding

Cons-I don't earn as much as I do when shooting for myself
    - I don't have any control over the wedding day timeline plans (but then again it's nice that not responsible for it either!)

Advice to Senior Managementconsider built in raises or bonuses when clients give your photographers positive reviews

love it, because I can still shoot for me

Boston, MA

Pros-i have met alot of great people in my local market in Boston through them who have become good friend in photo and video.
    -They let me still shoot for myself and I am not just shooting for them only
    -I can use the photos I shoot for them, noone else was letting me do that

Cons- yes, the pay i heard is not great but its also not terrible, and its not that much, but when you are thinking about what you do its not to bad. I have shot for others in the area who pay less and they make up for it saying "you gain experience and we can talk business after"

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing, I have been with you guys for over 2 yrs, and I do enjoy it alot. I know i can block off my own days and i am happy about that. I do also greatly enjoy being able to have meet n greets and wish we had them more often, also seeing the faces behind the company in NY and Vegas was awesome, and you guys knowing who I was and about me, well that brightened my day

Poor quality company that cares little about employees.

Chicago, IL

ProsFriendly co-workers, laid back environment and dress code. The office is in a nice River North location near lots of bars and restaurants.

ConsHorrible pay, no growth opportunity, poor benefits, no integrity. They often take advantage of their employees by expecting them to go above and beyond (staying late, working weekends) without anything in return. They care more about turning a profit than they care about delivering a quality product to their customers. They want to trick people into thinking they are a small company that delivers a personal customer experience, but the company is structured to do the exact opposite. George Street really doesn't recognize hard work in their employees and in order to get even the smallest pay increase, you must be prepared to put up a fight.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Junk Company

Lead Photographer (Current Employee)

ProsNo editing of your photographs

ConsTHEY edit your photographs and do a lousy chop job. I hear complaints from my clients all the time how they run colored filters over the same image to produce a few variations and call it "creative".

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

Flag Review
    George Street Photo & Video Communications Manager responded to this review Jun 3, 2014 EditDelete
    We are sorry you had a bad experience with us, and we certainly don't require anyone to continue shooting with us if they don't want to. We expect all of our photographers to aim for proper exposures ... More

High volume, low paid wedding photography

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe main positive of George Street is the ability to fill in your schedule with wedding shoots, sometimes last minute. It is relatively low commitment for the photographer; essentially, you just have to show up and shoot. George Street handles the photo editing post-event.

ConsIt is very low-paid for the industry. $450 for a 10-hour wedding shoot, not including travel, is as low as I've seen for an experienced wedding photographer. You also lack the relationship you might have with couples who have booked you personally, since you are generally meeting them for the first time on the wedding day.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease rates for your photographers and other contract employees!

Use to work for them...now have to compete with them.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeing able to get work without having to track down your own clients; don't have to deal with the clients afterward. Since they don't edit client's photos, it may make the company look less desirable to couples & drive them to book with independent photographers.

ConsPay is low with no chance for every getting more than $50/hr. as a lead, and weddings are 8 - 10 hour days. Client's are expecting more for their money, and are disappointed after--the studio does not edit the client's photos. Photographer's are expected to shoot (or deliver) files straight out of camera as jpg. I have tons of wedding photography experience & a strong portfolio, but I was getting very little bookings because it is up to the sales staff who's portfolio gets shown to clients. There are too many photographers in the market I'm in, so I was also in competition with other freelancers within the company to get work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are just looking to make a buck, and hire people for the least amount of pay. Stop trying to be the cheapest game in town & killing the independent photographers. Hire better quality photographers, just not people who can barely get the job done.

They're the Walmart of the wedding industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people who work there are great. It's a very young and awesome group of people

ConsThe pay is very low, the turnaround is extremely high, there is no diversity (everyone's white), and the owners only care about doing more volume at less cost. If you need to get your foot in the door they'll probably take you, but long term no one sticks around for good reason.

Better - Smarter - Shooting for George Street Photo & Video makes my life simpler.

Chicago, IL

ProsGeorge Street has come up with a better system that allows everyone to focus on doing what they love. People who are gifted in customer service get to focus on that, editors focus on making videos/photos look their best, and wedding photographers get to focus on what they love - SHOOTING. No sales meetings, no marketing, no post production, etc.
    Flexible - They work around my schedule, via a convenient online calendar. All I have to do is mark dates accurately, and bookings come rolling in!
    Support -The Assignment Team dedicates their time and energy into making sure photographers and videographers have everything they need to do their job well. It's like a family!
    Great talent pool - only 1% of applicants become GS photogs. I've met so many awesome industry connections!
    Communication - They have open ears. If I have a concern, question, idea, worry, whatever, I can talk about it like an adult with a team who is interested in what I have to say.
    Passion - They have high standards. In their people, their service, and their product delivered. In the end, they really do care about what they are doing.
    Freelancers - Great for photojournalists who want more jobs without the hundreds of hours of extra work. When you calculate all that goes into working on your own with a personal client, GS is a very valuable resource for photographers who want to add to their booking schedule.
    Technology - They are always improving systems, and researching new tools. I get to upload my images right from home the next day after the shoot.
    Portfolio - I can use images I shoot with George Street for my own portfolio and promo! I've never worked with a studio that allows that.

ConsIf you are not passionate about wedding photography, this company probably isn't a good fit.

What will help you excel with GS:

Personality, promptness, professionalism. If you regularly leave emails in your inbox unopened, or you aren't prompt to a shoot start time, this probably won't work for you. Also, they expect photographers to act like professionals - aim for proper exposure, time sync your cameras, and all the other things that pro wedding photographers should be used to doing.

And most of all, if you have an issue, talk to your team. Communication is key!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome!

Factory style High Volume wedding photography

Chicago, IL

ProsThey book a lot of weddings. So if you have a good portfolio, you can fill your calendar.

ConsLOW pay for seasoned pros. When you have over a decade of experience and over $10k invested in equipment, it's disheartening to make $450 on a 10 hour wedding. Especially when you consider all the time you've put into the gig, prewedding phone calls, filling out pre-event & post event review forms, gear prep, converting RAW files to jpeg then uploading images & waiting 2 weeks for a check. Often times jobs are a bit of haul (with gas over $4 gallon, it adds up) and you only get reimbursed mileage if it's over 100 miles :-/ You get penalized for everything, you have to take a photo of the computer screen to prove you time-synced your camera or they'll penalize you $30 bucks, you have to upload your images the day after the wedding which clogs up your internet line for two days, make sure they're all uploaded within 3 days or they penalize you $50 bucks, respond to & set up engagement requests within 24 hours or again, penalized $50 bucks! They require you to have backdrop/strobes, etc. They're quick on the penalties but never, ever, ever reward you for going beyond the call of duty. I got repeat clientele for them, multiple rave reviews posted online. No recognition for doing great, it's just expected. But make one mistake and your tiny little check starts getting cut into.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation when a photographer has exceeded your clients' expectations. Give bonuses when you book referrals based on the photographer's great work. A revolving door of mediocre photographers can't possibly be better than a long-term, solid, reliable team.

Feels more like a family than a workplace.

Internal Communications (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI was able to start as an intern, learn new things, and develop my skills into a full-time position. I was always impressed by the high standards, innovation, and talent that I saw in my team. If you are hard-working and passionate about your skills, GS might be a good fit. Whenever I had problems or concerns management and HR were happy to listen and help. The overall aim towards doing things smarter and better is very important to me in a workplace. From our HQ team to our Field team, lots of intelligent and creative people here!

ConsDuring busy season, as with any wedding-related company, workloads can get intense and stress is high. The monthly happy hours help take the edge off :)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving internal communications and listening to your team members and clients and there are no limits to what we can achieve.

Worked for George Street Photo & Video? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at George Street Photo & Video reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for George Street Photo & Video CEO Tim Muller. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by George Street Photo & Video employees.