George Street Photo & Video

Updated April 23, 2015
26 reviews filtered by
3.3
Tim Muller

Really fun & challenging part time job, must be comfortable on straight commission with high sales goals though!

Former Freelancer - Wedding Consultant
    Former Freelancer - Wedding Consultant

I worked at George Street Photo & Video (More than 3 years)

Pros

-You don't have to schedule your own appointments
    -You choose when and where you work, so long as you have mostly evenings and 1 day per weekend free.
    -iPads are provided!
    -Get paid a flat rate per appointment plus a % of what you sell
    -Company flies ou out for training and the office is a lot of fun!
    -You get to meet new couples every day and chat all about their wedding

Cons

-Your an independent contractor, so no benefits, working on commission
    -Bonus is paid out only if you close 60% of all the appointments you took that month
    -Management can be a little frustrating to deal with if you aren't closing higher than 60%
    -They change pricing and procedures often as the company still continues to grow very quickly from where it was 5 years ago.
    -Lots on inconsistencies in the information you're given so you're often times finding out you're doing something the wrong way after the fact.
    -Only in very select areas could a person get enough appointments to consider this a full time job.
    -Unless you live on Chicago, there is almost no chance for job growth.

Advice to Management

-Make more of an effort to keep consultants on the same page as procedures and processes of doing things change regarding sales and company policy
    -Better incentives for good performance since the commission rate is pretty low
    -Create more opportunities for consultants to get together since working from home alone can be very challenging in such a stressful job

2. Headquarters employee

I worked at George Street Photo & Video

Pros

This company hires a lot of really great people in headquarters, both in skill and personality.
    If you take initiative, you can gain a lot of experience. It can look good on a resume.
    The physical office is really great, lots of sunlight and an open environment.
    It's a decent enough place to start your career.
    The company is growing.

Cons

Management can be overly demanding and often aloof.
    While there are many superficial benefits, such as a cereal bar, the employee relations leave something to be desired. There is often a lot of talk about how important you are to the company and how you are valued, but it's not followed up by anything more than words.
    The pay is mediocre at best. From my understanding of my own and many others who have told me after I left, the pay is actually rather insulting. If you're a new college grad who needs to get their feet yet, this is appropriate, but I wouldn't bank on it for the long haul.

Advice to Management

George Street does a good job of finding great talent, however the steps used to retain them are deplorable. I've seen many talented workers learn that they can get verbal praise from doing a job well done, but this rarely translates into an adequate raise in compensation or job title.
    While the company is growing, their plans are only to look 6 months into the future. This undoubtably was a good plan when they were a much smaller company, but for a company that has grown to its size, the business plan has to extend out much longer.

3. Great Opportunity for Freelance Photographer

Current Contractor - Lead Photographer
    Current Contractor - Lead Photographer

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been a freelance photographer with George Street for three years now. George Street has been great for me and my photography business. I run my own studio, since they do not expect me to exclusively shoot for them and I am able to also focus on my personal business. I am able to book my own weddings and they help fill my open dates, which is great since I don't have to worry about the customer service, wedding planning or post-production for their weddings. I can focus my time on my clients but also get to shoot more without all those extra post-production hours. George Street also allows me to retain usage rights to my photos, so its great for building my portfolio. They have a clean and professional system for working with the studio and managing my assignments. Really nice team at their Chicago headquarters to work with.

Cons

I have to accept bookings when they book the clients, so I need to keep my availability up to date pretty far into the future. I make less shooting their weddings than I do for my own, but I only shoot so it is understandable. I don't get as much personal time with the clients prior to the wedding day as I would like, other than Engagement Sessions and pre-shoot phone calls.

Wedding Photographer

Current Freelancer - Wedding Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Freelancer - Wedding Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video (More than 5 years)

Pros

they give you artistic freedom and you take out the days you are not available in the future

Cons

they don't pay mileage for events under 100 miles round trip

Advice to Management

mileage pay

6. Low paying and unorganized. High School atmosphere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time

Pros

Casual Dress is the best thing one could say about this place. You get your own desk and Sometimes you get a day off.

Cons

Low paying, benefits are bad, there is a lot of immaturity among the management, you can't speak against them or they become defensive. They do not recognize hard work. They font appreciate their employees. You are on call 24 hours a day and do not get paid for it. They are constantly loosing great people because they pay so horribly. The job is very stressful and not worth the low pay or drama.

Advice to Management

The more your staff feels appreciated the better results you will get.

7. Limited growth, horrible pay for work load, college like environment, and no privacy.

Former Employee - Marketing & Sales
    Former Employee - Marketing & Sales

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 owners are very professional, friendly, humble, and hardworking. They are truly are dedicated to their company and its growth.
    Concept of business is great, however has out grown itself.
    Clean fridge due to weekly throw outs
    Casual work attire

Cons

Poor pay
    Limited growth
    No privacy-3 bathrooms for 80 people
    1 kitchen table that sits 4 people
    Must eat at desk during lunch due to lack of space, and more or less forced to work.
    Constant birthday celebrations for marketing purposes that lack sincerity.
    Management is not good
    No holiday pay
    No insurance for 6 months
    Groups can feel cliquey.
    If you are looking to grow professionally, look elsewhere. They will hold you back financially as well as personally. Holiday party/pay was a paid night at the bar...

Advice to Management

Managers should consider employees schedules, and not ask to swap shifts within their groups. Should offer a 2 week time off request. They do not.

Managers should be trained managers. Not individuals who are good at their jobs. If this is the case, then classes should be offered to these individuals to train them on management styles techniques.

Do not work here

Former Employee - Wedding Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Wedding Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video

Pros

I have met some good people here, although since I no longer work there we don't speak. Occasionally, they have pot lucks.

Cons

very cliquey. LOW PAY, very low pay, especially for the river north area of Chicago. You are constantly expected to stay late, which makes the salary per hour breakdown not even worth it. Depending on who you know or who likes you can determine everything within this company. Management plays favorites, and even when I was favorites, I could not stand how they treated other people. Management hangs out with a few people outside of work and makes it obvious at work, as a former manager at other companies, this is very unprofessional. Benefits take SIX MONTHS to get, no one stays there for more than a year and there is little opportunity for advancement. Management often refuses to deal with difficult clients and expects you to do the work for them. one call can take an hour and them you may have to stay an hour or two late and/or come in early the next day to complete the expected work, no consideration is paid to this.

Advice to Management

Try your hardest to be professional and fair. This is why your employees keep leaving. You don't care about them enough to make them want to stay. If someone has different opinion than management, make sure not to voice it and ALWAYS be happy about every decision they make. Pretty much make this your entire life, only associate with people who work here and allow yourself to be brainwashed or sink. Management sets a very poor example and lack compassion.

Great Team and Great Environment

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture of collaboration and innovation. Good systems, latest technology at HQ. Lots of great people and opportunities to learn new things.

Cons

Benefits are getting better as the company grows, but compensation could be a little more competitive. Great environment and team, would love to see pay and benefits grow as the company continues to grow.

Great to work with!!!

Current Contractor - Lead Photographer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Contractor - Lead Photographer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Really good people to work with and friendly enviroment. No post process is a plus and you get to use the photos for your personal portfolio. I have booked with them venues that I never could book on my own.

Cons

Pay can be better and the milleage pay can be reviewd.

Advice to Management

Please review the pay scale and the millage pay.

Just Ok

Current Contractor - Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Photographer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Working with some very talented photographer and nice people!

Cons

Poor communication from management... kind of like a photo-factory rather than a reputable photography business.

George Street Photo & Video Photos