George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates

Reset
3.1
Stephen L Badger

Enjoyable place to work

I have been working at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I work in a department where the administrative staff enjoys a great working relationship with one another. Most of us have been with the department between five and ten years, and genuinely enjoy the work and each other's company. I think our patients receive excellent service because of this positive environment. I trust our physicians and recommend them to my friends and family. In return, the physicians have always gone out of their way to make me feel appreciated. A few years into my position, I took on a large new responsibility that was not part of my initial job requirements. After some time, I met with my supervisor, made a case for a raise, and received nearly the full amount I requested. I also asked for support (non-monetary in nature) in pursuing a professional development opportunity and received it without hesitation. I know not all other departments are like this so I've always been especially grateful for the good fortune to land here.

Cons

MFA has been taking steps towards improving the quality of service provided by all departments of late. I see why, given that some of front desk staff I've encountered have been just plain rude or unhelpful. There's no need to spend a bizillion dollars bringing Disney in to teach people how to be nice to patients or make us all suffer through juvenile training sessions; simply hire the right people in the first place and provide them with the support and resources they need. I know so many good people who need jobs that I wonder how in the world some of these clear bad apples got hired here at all. I will say there have been integral improvements from the HR Dept in the eight years since I started here (back then they were inept at best and bizarre at worst). The Business Office has also been a constant source of frustration. Perhaps they're understaffed there? Whatever the problem, it is unacceptable that I have such a hard time reaching help there when I need it. If I can't reach them as an employee, I can't imagine what it must be like for patients on the verge of getting sent to Collections. I've clearly voiced problems to the powers that be there, supported by specific examples, only to be flatly ignored. Again, this makes me appreciate the colleagues in my dept all the more!

Advice to Management

Avoid seeking out new physicians with micro-specialties who balk at the thought of taking patients with regular, run of the mill, treatable illnesses. Also, on a separate subject, please consider a partnership that would give your employees a discounted gym membership. Surely we're large enough now that giving employees an affordable means to decrease stress and improve fitness would translate into long-term savings on healthcare costs for the MFA.

Mismanagement

Current Employee - Emergency Medicine Residency Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Affiliation with GW medical school and hospital. Great location in DC.

Cons

Mismanagement of finances, human resources, faculty/staff career and professional development, disorganization, expansions to too many offices and not enough staff support, near bankruptcy, little concern for staff wellness, facade, patient care is not the #1 priority and money is in the forefront. Faculty are glorified while staff are underappreciated. Too much red tape and politics. Malignant environment...

Advice to Management

Hire a consulting firm and let them take over all business aspects. Sell to the highest bidder. Remove all of administration and higher management. Fresh blood.

3. MFA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Nice place to work,diverse patients. The physicians are young and old. Close to metro for transportation

Cons

As a teaching facility they only offer tuition assistance for GWU at 2/3 %. Raises are at 2% or less, management is clueless of the loads of work. micromanagement in thee wrong areas

Advice to Management

Get more healthcare experience,learn how to conduct real meetings

research coordinator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Diversity of people and projects.

Cons

Management treatment of employees sometimes heavy handed.

Good overall company with some management issues

I have been working at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates

Pros

Good growth opportunities and excellent clinical talent

Cons

Senior leadership is a little shady

Mediocrity at its Best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance Commute A few go-getters who want to help improve the organization

Cons

CEO and senior management lacks a clear focus No overarching strategic direction Wasteful with resources Infighting and politics among physicians/senior management Big egos, small brains

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and think more strategically about the future of the organization.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Physician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Physician in Washington, DC

I have been working at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment ; good patient mix

Cons

Management is a bit too hands-on

Great til it wasn't...

I worked at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Physicians are great to work with for the most part. When I was supported my dept was great.

Cons

The CEO is cocky and ridiculous and unwilling to put time and resources into making the HR dept more than a cost center. There was no strategic thinking and the HR team was nothing but paper pushers run by an overworked, passive aggressive manager wannabe HR executive. There was little to no communication between clinical depts and positions were often abolished as a way to get rid of employees. Org structures were confusing and in at least one case a person supposedly hired by the CEO as a special projects person was suddenly announced to be the new PGA because of her relationship to a JV exec.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and don't give jobs to people based on who they know or are related to. Think strategically rather than with greediness.

Team work , compassion, going the extra mile, customer service, respect, confidentiality are terms MFA/AMG missed in cla

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Germantown, MD

I worked at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates

Pros

Best part of working at MFA was meeting/helping patients and being appreciated for taking the time to listen and helpful by the patient.

Cons

Coworkers wanting to be seen as "I'm the only one working, see me working hard, no one else work hard as me, I can do everything and multitask "

Advice to Management

Everyone is hired to do a job so allow them to do that job. We are not robots most things can be done differently and get the same end result so stop allowing those "attention seekers" to cause ripples in your team. Micro management is not the way to get good productivity.

Money grubbing

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

Pros

Opportunity to attend school after 1year of service.

Cons

Promises of increased pay never materialized just more work

Advice to Management

People work hard to be advanced for their work. A raise should be given if unable to promote.