Georgetown University

Updated September 18, 2014
3.7

Georgetown University President and Director Jack DeGioia
Jack DeGioia

Pros
  • Decent benefits, work-life balance, opportunities for continuing education (in 15 reviews)

• It's a friendly and relatively easy-going work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The salary I got was enough, but not really comparable to what I would have made in my midwestern hometown when compared to cost of living (in 4 reviews)

• Little training, often inexperienced middle-management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great pay for PHD

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Georgetown University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very friendly faculty members and high profile research projects

Cons

Very limited flexibility to design and conduct your research projects, since the principal investigator as a control freak wants you do everything as she thinks is right, without considering your opinions.

Stop being ignorant and arrogant to your fellow graduate students, be more transparent about long term plan.

Worked for the School of Continuing Studies,

I worked at Georgetown University as an intern

Pros

Great office culture, developed personal relationships with managers and truly enjoyed my time there. Understanding of working hard while also having fun.

Cons

Difficult commute especially if you live outside of the immediate D.C. area. The metro can be a pain and you may also need to take a bus, there is also very minimal parking which is also expensive.

Assistant Director

I have been working at Georgetown University full-time

Pros

Well-balanced workplace with great benefits

Cons

Very little growth/ highly bureaucratic organization

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Georgetown University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free School for most employees

Cons

Stuffy atmosphere and hard work

Good place to teach because of the students more than the culture or the leadership

Current Employee - Associate Professor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Georgetown University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible, great students, good colleagues

Cons

Administrators have little real regard for education, swayed by trendy issues.

Overall favorable experience for a visiting professor, but pay could be better

I have been working at Georgetown University part-time

Pros

low pay, some students thing they are overly entitled to things

Cons

good motivated students, no micromanagment from from administration

improve pay

Do *NOT* work there, unless you are that financially desperate

I worked at Georgetown University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent salary (but low compared to other universities in the area) and the possibility of a tuition benefit.

Cons

No pension, limited benefits, incompetent management, rampant emotional abuse, and struggling so much financially that I was concerned for my job the entire time I was there. Also, had i had the financial means, I would have filed a law suit for mistreatment and discrimination. I highly recommend to everyone I know to never work there. It simply isn't worth it.

University culture is problematic for staff

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Georgetown University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice location. Pays more than other universities in the area for comparable positions. Tuition benefits. My Kaiser Permanente health insurance was amazing.

Cons

Very little consistency between departments. My supervisor had very little regard for my actual job description, and along with needing to chip in with a number of tasks over my pay grade on short notice, I found myself running personal errands for my supervisor, helping with their Doctoral dissertation research and even had to type up their Dissertation cover page and work on citations. I was an Executive assistant for Student Affairs--- not this person's personal assistant. I felt that I could not refuse to work on these tasks without damaging my annual review and position in the office. The University charged much too much for parking (even though they have a garage) and a year of taking Metro was actually cheaper than paying for a year of parking. Problems within the department (when an employee was stealing, for instance) were not dealt with in a consistent way that clearly involved HR because the department wanted to keep the incident quiet from the students.

Human Resources should work closer with employees and the different departments.

Over ten years I've watched the once very special, collegiate quality of working in this community deteriorate.

Current Employee - Public Relations, Communications  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Public Relations, Communications in Washington, DC

I have been working at Georgetown University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good retirement package. And, yes, it still draws really great, gifted, and dedicated people who can be a real joy to work among. Why they seem much less likely to hire these peoople into jobs at the supervisor/administrator level is a puzzle.

Cons

Departments that should be keenly focused on providing good systems of service more often are so difficult to work with that it is a huge frustration to work with them--especially those involved with the smooth financial operation of business affairs--something you would expect a model operation at a school trying to promote a leading edge School of Business like McDonough.
    As has been written before, the administrative level makes decisions and policies that most often block rather than facilitate the organization's healthy growth into a 21st century management model.

Move into the 21st century. Learn how to work cooperatively with your departments/work groups. Don't just 'pan' a listening pose, but listen and implement. Recognize those who contribute to a healthy existence as a thriving organization are working in areas of the university that extend well beyond the classroom and ithis organizaton's continued positive growth requires a focus on stewarding the positive operation of all areas of this organization--a 'systems' thinking approach.

Didn't love it didn't hate it

I have been working at Georgetown University

Pros

The benefits are excellent, the campus is beautiful and some of the management is great!

Cons

It is what you make of it.

Worked for Georgetown University? Contribute to the Community!