Georgetown University

Georgetown University Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Georgetown University President and Director Jack DeGioia

Jack DeGioia

Pros
  • Decent benefits, work-life balance, opportunities for continuing education(in 15 reviews)

• It's a friendly and relatively easy-going work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The salary I got was enough, but not really comparable to what I would have made in my midwestern hometown when compared to cost of living(in 4 reviews)

• Little training, often inexperienced middle-management(in 5 reviews)

105 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The organizational mission couldn't compete with turf battles among supposed colleagues

Web Services Administrator (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDecent benefits, work-life balance, opportunities for continuing education. Pretty easygoing environment, depending on where you work.

ConsAn extremely high amount of politics and turf battles. Very little turnover, so people are there for decades with little incentive to increase their knowledge or skills. The quality of work suffers due to very poor accountability. Little or no metrics for how well a job is being performed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSubscribe to some continual improvement methodology (ISO, Six Sigma, etc.) and earnestly implement it, as well as 360-degree reviews; managers have less accountability than anyone else despite needing it the most.

Assistant Director at Georgetown

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWork life balance is great; students are great

ConsVery little professional development or long term growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees - do not treat them like cogs in a wheel but instead as important components of the university.

Satisfactory experience working for Georgetown University

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt's a friendly and relatively easy-going work environment.

ConsNot many long term career paths.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, but don't expect to be social.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSupportive management, Learn a lot while you work, Feel like your analysis might actually make a difference, Decent pay considering the hours and skill required

ConsResearch centers are typically pretty silent. If you're a collaborative worker, don't expect to have a ton of human interaction

Very enjoyable place to work!

Program Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe benefits - including incredible tuition benefits
    Company culture is laid back while challenging
    Perfect for young professionals!

ConsSalaries can be lower due to the high benefits
    Challenging commute
    Can be very stressful if you regularly interact with students

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it is important for the management to regularly communicate with employees. Six month reviews where a dialogue is established to set-up expectations, learn from mistakes, and discussion about future goals is extremely important for the employee's success and satisfaction. Sometimes frustration occurs when the employee sees no future where he or she is.

supportive but slow-paced

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Proson campus and close to classes

Consa lot of bureaucracy, slow to get things done

Advice to Senior Managementspeed things up a litle

Laid-back atmosphere, nice people, but low salary and the evil, dreaded PTO (e.g., no sick leave)

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPeople are nice and it's laid back

ConsWages are quite low and they offer no paid sick leave (just crappy PTO)

Advice to Senior ManagementGive paid sick leave. Every time my kids get sick or I have a doctor's appt. it's incredibly stressful because I have to choose between forcing my husband to stay home, not getting paid, or missing out on vacation. At another university where I worked I had 3 weeks vacation, all the holidays we have at Georgetown AND like 8 days sick leave/year. PTO is not consistent with an ethic of social justice and the Jesuit tradition.

Great Institution, but struggling with legacy finances and decentralization.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood environment. Great campus despite being out of the way, but compensates with free shuttle service. Good health care and retirement matching.

ConsSalaries are basically frozen for the next few years. Very decentralized organization, which leads to disorganization, redundancy and big ranges for productivity.

wonderful

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosamazing school spirit, HOYA SAXA!

Conslimit to how high salaries can go

unless you are tenured faculty, stay away from Georgetown.

Accountant III (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGeorgetown has great retirement benefits, they will match up to 7% by just allocating 3% of your salary to the plan. You are also eligible for free tuition after 1 year of work as long as you get into a program

ConsGeorgetown has a 2 class system of employees; those that have to follow rules and protocol (staff) and faculty who are allowed to be rude, break rules, and in some instances Georgetown will even cover when the law is broken by faculty members.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees equally, publish the rules of the game (reimbursements, travel, professional behavior), and make one set of rules for everyone. Stop making decision on cost basis only and make more decisions based on value added.

Worked for Georgetown University? Contribute to the Community!