Georgetown University

Georgetown University Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Georgetown University President and Director Jack DeGioia

Jack DeGioia

Pros
  • Decent benefits, work-life balance, opportunities for continuing education (in 15 reviews)

• It's a friendly and relatively easy-going work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The salary I got was enough, but not really comparable to what I would have made in my midwestern hometown when compared to cost of living (in 4 reviews)

• Little training, often inexperienced middle-management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
106 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

unless you are tenured faculty, stay away from Georgetown.

Accountant III (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGeorgetown has great retirement benefits, they will match up to 7% by just allocating 3% of your salary to the plan. You are also eligible for free tuition after 1 year of work as long as you get into a program

ConsGeorgetown has a 2 class system of employees; those that have to follow rules and protocol (staff) and faculty who are allowed to be rude, break rules, and in some instances Georgetown will even cover when the law is broken by faculty members.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees equally, publish the rules of the game (reimbursements, travel, professional behavior), and make one set of rules for everyone. Stop making decision on cost basis only and make more decisions based on value added.

Mission focused and service oriented company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWorking with colleagues who care about learning and helping others.

ConsAcademic leadership and focus is excellent, administration lacks behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger administrative leadership and follow through.

I teach a graduate class in communcations

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsStudents in the graduate school are motivated to learn and they contribute to teaching.

ConsAs an adjunct professor, it's a challenge to juggle various accountabilities, but the school dean and I are clear on what we need to accomplish, and I am 100% committed to best achievable outcomes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pro learning, health and family

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEmployees are encouraged to focus on their well being be it health-wise, education-wise or family-wise.

ConsThere are parking issues being in DC. Getting to and from work is an expensive hassle even with the University transportation options which are actually very good.

Advice to Senior Managementfind more options for parking on or near campus

research assistant

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat Colleagues
    Access to fantastic resources
    Access to the nation's capitol

ConsA very large institution, bureaucratic headaches
    Research may be it's own reward, but more pay would help

Advice to Senior ManagementThe high level of work that is expected and that people want to contribute is at a level that deserves higher compensation, even if it is in tuition assistance.

Excellent place to work/learn, not stressful and though the pay is not great you get a lot of incentives in academia.

Research Technician II (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcellent work environment.
    Pursuing degrees part-time is an option. (120 credit hours per year)

ConsPay on the lower side

I had some of my very best work experience and career opportunities at Georgetown University.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosexcellent academic and scholarly atmosphere.
    lots of diversity in workforce
    great dining and entertainment facilities in close proximity (neighborhood)
    prestige and international reputation of the institution

Consrush-hour traffic of daily commute: no metro accessibility!
    not sufficiently cutting edge in the IT technology
    lots of crowded office space on-campus
    high employment turnover rate in mid to upper management

Advice to Senior Managementkeep lobbying for better public transporation
    no more new building construction on campus
    more professional development opportunities for mid-level management

Totally adequate early career position

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsReasonable hours
    Fantastic Benefits - especially tuition
    Some unique access to interesting speakers and events

ConsComplex, slow moving bureaucracy
    Intensely political intra and inter-office relationships
    Poorly defined career tracks and limited opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop the quality and responsiveness of "support functions" especially in finance and human resources.

No room for advancement; failure to live up to stated value of organization

Project Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Working with students often means working with highly intelligent, very idealistic young people who will appreciate it when you trust them with real responsibility
    - Tuition assistance

ConsBased on my experience as an administrator and middle manager at Georgetown for eight years:

- There is little or no opportunity for advancement within each department or the University as a whole, even for employees who have earned excellent performance reviews, have used their tuition benefits to increase their education, etc.

- There is a consistent preference, across departments, to fill higher-level positions with outside talent, rather than through promoting talented people from within the University. Over time this becomes a major disincentive for employees either (1) to remain at the University long term or (2) to work at their maximum level of ability. It also often results in management that does not understand the special problems inherent in dealing with students, student employees, parents, academic departments, etc. It also results in departments with ZERO institutional memory; so that, for example, policies that failed in the past will be introduced by the leadership, who are unaware that those policies have already been attempted--and then rescinded when they proved overcostly or counterproductive.

- In many departments, the managerial strategy seems to be one of divide-and-rule: A handful of people at the top are paid exceptionally well (to ensure their loyalty) while everyone below is paid wages far below what they would make for the same work, even at other colleges and not-for-profits.

- A pervasive feature of Georgetown's professional culture -- quietly conceded by many staff -- is a cynical disregard for the University's own stated values. I once had an very-very-upper-level administrator inform me that my job was to get as much work out of my student employees as possible for as little money as possible. When I objected that this approach was not consistent with the Catholic values that Georgetown espoused, the response was laughter, and a stern command to "tow the company line." (Until that moment, I thought only villainous cartoon bosses like Mr. Burns gave orders like "tow the company line.")

Advice to Senior Management- Develop a more consistent system of internal promotion. This would not be some radical novelty that no other university has ever attempted: At NYU, for example, when a new position opens up, their HR requires that they promote a current employee into the position, rather than any outside applicant, unless it is shown that no qualified internal applicant is available. This policy increases employee satisfaction, since ambitious junior-level employees can realistically hope for promotion if they remain with the University long-term.

2. Fess up to your values. if Georgetown is now merely a business, where the bottom line is maximizing revenues rather than supporting certain educational and spiritual principles, please have the courage to admit this. Too many staff, current and former, have sought careers at Georgetown thinking it would allow them to live out their values in their workplace, only to turn away disillusioned by the experience.

Look elsewhere.

Program Coordinator (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits. Decent work/life balance.

ConsEmployees at Georgetown are underpaid, overworked, and the bureaucracy here is one of the worst I have ever experience in higher education. Although the name carries some weight, I did not find my experience here worth much for my career.

Worked for Georgetown University? Contribute to the Community!