Georgia Aquarium Reviews

3.7
Bernard Marcus

1. Marketing Internship Review

I worked at Georgia Aquarium

Pros

Lots of opportunities to take responsibility and help manage events and, eventually if you prove yourself, oversee them yourself. Access to a wide spectrum of marketing roles and responsibilities

Cons

Work from the intern room primarily with no real company culture (everyone is pretty secluded). Lots of grunt work, which is expected, and often events are required to attend on holidays. And, unpaid.

2. I worked at Georgia Aquarium

Pros

Great team focused mind set. Everyone, with in their department, works together toward a common goal.
    The people are amazing. Very friendly and inclusive. You can make work buddies real quick.
    Good benefits for anything towards the aquarium. Free tickets, discounts on certain things in the aquarium and some of the surrounding stores, awesome access to the exhibits. Get to see some really cool things that most people don't.

Cons

Small inter-departmental fighting. Mostly miscommunications that become overblown.
    Low pay. Don't expect to make a lot. You are always replaceable in their eyes because someone wants the position you're in.

Pay the people more. They deserve it for all of their hard work in keeping the aquarium the amazing place it is!

3. Love it

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium

Pros

Great environment in which to work. Coworkers are top notch. Highly educated staff.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement because industry is saturated with highly qualified people.

Provide more opportunities to connect with different departments.

5. Great place to work but not long term

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of obvious benefits to working at the Aquarium. There are a lot of great employees and passionate volunteers.

Cons

The pay is very low and a lot of part time positions require full time availability because of varying hours of operation.

Management should treat volunteers with more respect and appreciation.

6. Marine Biology Internship

I worked at Georgia Aquarium

Pros

I loved getting to learn more about the fish and getting to learn about the procedures behind the scenes. It was very interesting to know what what into maintaining such a large environment and what was needed to take care of each animal individually.

Cons

It was very time consuming. Studying the manta rays took many hours of sitting in front of the Ocean Voyager tank and taking notes.

The only thing I would say would be maybe making our mentors a little bit more available to us. I know they are busy but I think my project would have benefitted from more interaction.

Animal Care/biologist

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium

Pros

Pays well for the animal care/training/aquarist industry. Professional and respectable management from associate curator up to director level. Great benefits and vacation time. Overall well-ran company, once you finally get in. In the animal care department, I feel like my ideas are heard and appreciated.

Cons

If you have any intention of working in animal care, it will be a very long and uphill process. I was among many qualified candidates, be prepared to volunteer and intern after school before even being considered.

No constructive criticism comes to mind.

8. Great Internship

Former Intern - Marketing & Communications Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Marketing & Communications Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to complete an internship with, especially in the Marketing & Communications field. The people you will get to work with are amazing and you will definitely learn a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

Your workload can change at a moments notice, so just be prepared for an ever-changing schedule. If you are looking for something a little more streamlined, then this might not be the environment for you.

9. Fun Internship - should be paid

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It was a really unique internship experience. You could walk around and see the animals nearly every day if you wanted. I was able to take on a lot of responsibility for an internship role and work on plenty of different tasks on the communications side of the operation. They let the interns sit in on larger meetings so we got a feel of how the place really runs.

Cons

The interns are unpaid "volunteers" which is ridiculous because we were essentially doing the same work as others working above us. It's clear certain departments in the aquarium are understaffed and they're using interns as free labor. I was one of the first people there in the morning and one of the last to leave the office - all while being unpaid. Interns in other departments were treated better than others as well.

Please pay your interns at least minimum wage. Most of us are almost done with college if not done already.

10. Fun temporary part time job, but not practical for long term employment.

Former Employee - Guest Programs Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Guest Programs Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent part time pay in guest programs at $12/ hr. You are able to earn time off, even as a part time employee. Full time benefits are decent. The people you work with are fun and creative. Many special events on weekends throughout the year, so each week is different. Free admission tickets for each employee.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the department. Full time positions are very limited. Upper management can sometimes be very stubborn. Asst managers truly have an "open door" policy, but are usually limited with how much they can do by upper management.

You have talented employees working for you and you need to be more open to their ideas and opinions.

11. A great experience working there for the summer.

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at if you like meeting new people from around the world.

Cons

The managers in the guest service department are horrible.

Georgia Aquarium Photos