Georgia Aquarium Reviews

Bernard Marcus

Fun Internship - should be paid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was a really unique internship experience. You could walk around and see the animals nearly every day if you wanted. I was able to take on a lot of responsibility for an internship role and work on plenty of different tasks on the communications side of the operation. They let the interns sit in on larger meetings so we got a feel of how the place really runs.

Cons

The interns are unpaid "volunteers" which is ridiculous because we were essentially doing the same work as others working above us. It's clear certain departments in the aquarium are understaffed and they're using interns as free labor. I was one of the first people there in the morning and one of the last to leave the office - all while being unpaid. Interns in other departments were treated better than others as well.

Please pay your interns at least minimum wage. Most of us are almost done with college if not done already.

Fun temporary part time job, but not practical for long term employment.

Former Employee - Guest Programs Team Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Guest Programs Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent part time pay in guest programs at $12/ hr. You are able to earn time off, even as a part time employee. Full time benefits are decent. The people you work with are fun and creative. Many special events on weekends throughout the year, so each week is different. Free admission tickets for each employee.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the department. Full time positions are very limited. Upper management can sometimes be very stubborn. Asst managers truly have an "open door" policy, but are usually limited with how much they can do by upper management.

You have talented employees working for you and you need to be more open to their ideas and opinions.

A great experience working there for the summer.

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work at if you like meeting new people from around the world.

Cons

The managers in the guest service department are horrible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

blah

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free tickets, free parking, employees discount

Cons

Working outside no matter weather conditions and no vacation time

Get a new career and some training

Don't work here!

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule, if you're on the office level you get a regular schedule M-F 9-4. The rest of us have to work weekends, holidays and later hours. The health insurance is really good, and your holidays end up being paid back in PTO for use on other days.

Cons

Everything is top down, nobody on the bottom has any voice. There is so much bureaucracy that no one can get anything done without a multitude of other peoples needless opinions and months of others sitting on the approval for no other reason than their own laziness. Bad employees are rarely fired but woe to those who speak up or you'll be the one to get the boot. Schedules always change last minute and managers aren't held accountable to the standards they hold to those below them. TOO MUCH HIERARCHY!

Start listening to the employees on the bottom. Give anonymous reviews of management teams by the employees below them. If a manager isn't carrying their weight fire them!!

Cool job, awesome co-workers, poor upper management.

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's hard to beat working in a building as beautiful as the aquarium, plus most of the people you work with are amazing.

Cons

Rare chances for advancement; upper management promises a lot (like full time jobs) but rarely follow through; lots of employees complaining about 'unfairness'. When working here, you have to learn to not expect much and not worry about things you can't control, even if they'd be an easy fix and would help significantly. Things don't change here. Get used to it. It's great for a temporary job, but don't expect a career here. (Unless you're in animal care. I have no knowledge there)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is helpful and happy to work here. Good benefits. Good work environment.

Cons

Have to use benefit days to take off on holidays.

Great Educational Experience

Current Employee - Volunteer Gallery Interpreter
    Current Employee - Volunteer Gallery Interpreter

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium for more than a year

Pros

Getting to constantly watch and learn about a wide variety of marine animals. From fish to sea birds to whales and sea otter you really learn a lot. The employees are generally very helpful and it's a great work environment. You get pretty good benefits even as a volunteer.

Cons

Occasionally the shifts can be long and sort of monotonous depending on what area you are working in. Getting classes and finding out about how certain things work can be somewhat difficult.

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Overnight Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Overnight Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic co-workers, flexible schedules, decent pay, nice benefits, hanging out with beautiful marine life is fantastic. There is room to grow and advance.....management is easily accessible and truly have an open door policy.

Cons

Inconsistent management at times....not much to complain about.

Better organization across the board......Pay more attention to the way some team members treat others with a power trip....let's not let a crabapple or two spoil the entire bunch. We love our jobs, so we deal with it...but should we really have to?

Good

I worked at Georgia Aquarium

Pros

Fun Job, lots of vacation

Cons

Low Pay, bad work environment

Worked for Georgia Aquarium? Contribute to the Community!