Georgia Aquarium

Bernard Marcus
1 Rating

Marine Biology Internship

I worked at Georgia Aquarium

Pros

I loved getting to learn more about the fish and getting to learn about the procedures behind the scenes. It was very interesting to know what what into maintaining such a large environment and what was needed to take care of each animal individually.

Cons

It was very time consuming. Studying the manta rays took many hours of sitting in front of the Ocean Voyager tank and taking notes.

The only thing I would say would be maybe making our mentors a little bit more available to us. I know they are busy but I think my project would have benefitted from more interaction.

Great place to work but not long term

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of obvious benefits to working at the Aquarium. There are a lot of great employees and passionate volunteers.

Cons

The pay is very low and a lot of part time positions require full time availability because of varying hours of operation.

Management should treat volunteers with more respect and appreciation.

Animal Care/biologist

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium

Pros

Pays well for the animal care/training/aquarist industry. Professional and respectable management from associate curator up to director level. Great benefits and vacation time. Overall well-ran company, once you finally get in. In the animal care department, I feel like my ideas are heard and appreciated.

Cons

If you have any intention of working in animal care, it will be a very long and uphill process. I was among many qualified candidates, be prepared to volunteer and intern after school before even being considered.

No constructive criticism comes to mind.

Great Internship

Former Employee - Marketing & Communications Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing & Communications Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to complete an internship with, especially in the Marketing & Communications field. The people you will get to work with are amazing and you will definitely learn a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

Your workload can change at a moments notice, so just be prepared for an ever-changing schedule. If you are looking for something a little more streamlined, then this might not be the environment for you.

Fun Internship - should be paid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was a really unique internship experience. You could walk around and see the animals nearly every day if you wanted. I was able to take on a lot of responsibility for an internship role and work on plenty of different tasks on the communications side of the operation. They let the interns sit in on larger meetings so we got a feel of how the place really runs.

Cons

The interns are unpaid "volunteers" which is ridiculous because we were essentially doing the same work as others working above us. It's clear certain departments in the aquarium are understaffed and they're using interns as free labor. I was one of the first people there in the morning and one of the last to leave the office - all while being unpaid. Interns in other departments were treated better than others as well.

Please pay your interns at least minimum wage. Most of us are almost done with college if not done already.

Fun temporary part time job, but not practical for long term employment.

Former Employee - Guest Programs Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Guest Programs Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Aquarium part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent part time pay in guest programs at $12/ hr. You are able to earn time off, even as a part time employee. Full time benefits are decent. The people you work with are fun and creative. Many special events on weekends throughout the year, so each week is different. Free admission tickets for each employee.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the department. Full time positions are very limited. Upper management can sometimes be very stubborn. Asst managers truly have an "open door" policy, but are usually limited with how much they can do by upper management.

You have talented employees working for you and you need to be more open to their ideas and opinions.

A great experience working there for the summer.

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work at if you like meeting new people from around the world.

Cons

The managers in the guest service department are horrible.

blah

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free tickets, free parking, employees discount

Cons

Working outside no matter weather conditions and no vacation time

Get a new career and some training

Don't work here!

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule, if you're on the office level you get a regular schedule M-F 9-4. The rest of us have to work weekends, holidays and later hours. The health insurance is really good, and your holidays end up being paid back in PTO for use on other days.

Cons

Everything is top down, nobody on the bottom has any voice. There is so much bureaucracy that no one can get anything done without a multitude of other peoples needless opinions and months of others sitting on the approval for no other reason than their own laziness. Bad employees are rarely fired but woe to those who speak up or you'll be the one to get the boot. Schedules always change last minute and managers aren't held accountable to the standards they hold to those below them. TOO MUCH HIERARCHY!

Start listening to the employees on the bottom. Give anonymous reviews of management teams by the employees below them. If a manager isn't carrying their weight fire them!!

Cool job, awesome co-workers, poor upper management.

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's hard to beat working in a building as beautiful as the aquarium, plus most of the people you work with are amazing.

Cons

Rare chances for advancement; upper management promises a lot (like full time jobs) but rarely follow through; lots of employees complaining about 'unfairness'. When working here, you have to learn to not expect much and not worry about things you can't control, even if they'd be an easy fix and would help significantly. Things don't change here. Get used to it. It's great for a temporary job, but don't expect a career here. (Unless you're in animal care. I have no knowledge there)

Georgia Aquarium Photos