Georgia Aquarium

www.georgiaaquarium.org

Georgia Aquarium Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Georgia Aquarium – US – “the ocean voyager”

Bernard Marcus

Fun temporary part time job, but not practical for long term employment.

Guest Programs Team Specialist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsDecent part time pay in guest programs at $12/ hr. You are able to earn time off, even as a part time employee. Full time benefits are decent. The people you work with are fun and creative. Many special events on weekends throughout the year, so each week is different. Free admission tickets for each employee.

ConsDifficult to move up in the department. Full time positions are very limited. Upper management can sometimes be very stubborn. Asst managers truly have an "open door" policy, but are usually limited with how much they can do by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have talented employees working for you and you need to be more open to their ideas and opinions.

A great experience working there for the summer.

Guest Service Team Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat place to work at if you like meeting new people from around the world.

ConsThe managers in the guest service department are horrible.

blah

Guest Service Team Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFree tickets, free parking, employees discount

ConsWorking outside no matter weather conditions and no vacation time

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new career and some training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here!

ProsSomewhat flexible work schedule, if you're on the office level you get a regular schedule M-F 9-4. The rest of us have to work weekends, holidays and later hours. The health insurance is really good, and your holidays end up being paid back in PTO for use on other days.

ConsEverything is top down, nobody on the bottom has any voice. There is so much bureaucracy that no one can get anything done without a multitude of other peoples needless opinions and months of others sitting on the approval for no other reason than their own laziness. Bad employees are rarely fired but woe to those who speak up or you'll be the one to get the boot. Schedules always change last minute and managers aren't held accountable to the standards they hold to those below them. TOO MUCH HIERARCHY!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the employees on the bottom. Give anonymous reviews of management teams by the employees below them. If a manager isn't carrying their weight fire them!!

Cool job, awesome co-workers, poor upper management.

ProsIt's hard to beat working in a building as beautiful as the aquarium, plus most of the people you work with are amazing.

ConsRare chances for advancement; upper management promises a lot (like full time jobs) but rarely follow through; lots of employees complaining about 'unfairness'. When working here, you have to learn to not expect much and not worry about things you can't control, even if they'd be an easy fix and would help significantly. Things don't change here. Get used to it. It's great for a temporary job, but don't expect a career here. (Unless you're in animal care. I have no knowledge there)

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEveryone is helpful and happy to work here. Good benefits. Good work environment.

ConsHave to use benefit days to take off on holidays.

Great Educational Experience

Volunteer Gallery Interpreter (Current Employee)

ProsGetting to constantly watch and learn about a wide variety of marine animals. From fish to sea birds to whales and sea otter you really learn a lot. The employees are generally very helpful and it's a great work environment. You get pretty good benefits even as a volunteer.

ConsOccasionally the shifts can be long and sort of monotonous depending on what area you are working in. Getting classes and finding out about how certain things work can be somewhat difficult.

Amazing place to work

Overnight Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFantastic co-workers, flexible schedules, decent pay, nice benefits, hanging out with beautiful marine life is fantastic. There is room to grow and advance.....management is easily accessible and truly have an open door policy.

ConsInconsistent management at times....not much to complain about.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter organization across the board......Pay more attention to the way some team members treat others with a power trip....let's not let a crabapple or two spoil the entire bunch. We love our jobs, so we deal with it...but should we really have to?

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun Job, lots of vacation

ConsLow Pay, bad work environment

Deceitful not-for-profit operating a for-profit business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree parking, nice central location

ConsPoor management with lack of integrity and financial transparency. Over paid exec staff and underpaid employees. Lack of experienced leadership, lack of vision or mission. Big corporate practices, like working for Walmart of public museums with no concern for individuals. Basically it's an aquarium for Bernie Marcus (founder) with little concern for anything more than making money.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some vision, be genuine and take actions that match your statements. start thinking beyond ticket sales and how to make a buck from visitors and think about your mission first. Employ people with experience worthy of a nationally recognized institution.

Worked for Georgia Aquarium? Contribute to the Community!