Georgia Division of Family and Children Services

CEO

Telecom Interviewer

Current Employee - Interviewer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping clients with social service needs. The benefits are good as far as sick/vacation. 5 of each per pay pd.

Cons

The pay is much too low. The new method of training is long and time consuming. 4 weeks at home, 4 weeks in class and then you are sent to your designated county for placement.

This is a political based company. Stop the politics and pay the workers what we are worth.

Worst job I have every had. Almost everyone here is looking for a new job.

Current Employee - Economic Support Specialist in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Economic Support Specialist in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some flexibility... but not really... only pro is that I have a job

Cons

no raises in 8 yrs, pay is not suitable for anyone who has a family. not suitable if you have a household of one. on this salary you will be able to afford an apartment for 675 or less per month. Having a degree equals no better pay. Management changes job assignments on a daily basis. No organization and very high expectations. This company wants you to bend over backwards for them, but when you ask for something the answer is no. People want even do overtime. It can take two months to get your overtime pay.

A good first job, wouldn't want to stay any longer than I have to

Current Employee - Case Manager in Carrollton, GA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Carrollton, GA

Pros

Very flexible schedules. Good benefits and vacation time. Lots of opportunity for growth. Great training for a future jib in social work and looks really good on a resume.

Cons

Long hours and not enough pay. Hard to keep steady staff so more of a burden on current employees. Lots of driving. Very overworked.

Terrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Doing work that helps children.

Cons

The pay is low. Management turns over whenever a new Governor is elected so policy and procedures change every 4 years. The agency is always in a state of flux and the children suffer as a result. For this to be a social services agency...employees are treated horribly.

Talk to front line staff who is actually doing the work to find out what works. Stop brining in people from the outside to run things...promote from within and reward your employees with decent pay and incentives.Treat your employees with respect and show they are valued.

Thrown to the lions and expected to survive

Current Employee - Social Services Case Manager in Camilla, GA
    Current Employee - Social Services Case Manager in Camilla, GA

I have been working at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services

Pros

Good Benefits. very flexible scheduling.

Cons

we have been on furloughs for three years. They do not pay workers a competitieve salary.

Listen to the front line people.

Directors, Commissioners and Governor's of the State of Georgia Listen to the voice of your DFCS case manager's.

Current Employee - The State Recently Chagned Our Title (Family Preservation Worker) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services

Pros

The only reason a Social Worker should work for DFCS is to gain experience and knowledge. Other than that after a year a person should move on. Stability is another good reason to work for DFCS. I am currently working on an MBA in HR, in an effort to move out of the company.

Cons

The media is always attacking the agency on how their employees including higher level management on their ability to protect the children in our community. It is very important to be trained on how to serve our families and protect our children. However, their isn’t any motivation to do the job, the main factor is the salary, then the management and their lack of leadership skills. DFCS is a huge agency that has an agency in every county in the state of Georgia.

Senior Management and I am referring to Directors, Consultants, and the Commissioner. They should listen and to their employees. They should send a job survey State wide and ask questions in reference to their current job. Their employee’s likes and dislikes, what needs to change, discuss the low pay for educated social worker and high turnover. Management ignoring their employees when it comes to morale and burn out.