Georgia Gwinnett College

Georgia Gwinnett College Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Daniel J. Kaufman

Not What it's Cracked Up to Be

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

ProsStudents are eager to learn and, for the most part, appreciate your help.

ConsLeaders abuse their power. Employees consistently work 60 hour or more weeks and state standards for employment are not followed. I have seen colleagues treated in disrespectful, hurtful, and unfair ways, including being yelled at, lied about, and humiliated in front of peers. Management either initiates the abuse, ignores it, or supports it.

It's changing and not for the better

ProsIf you're young and inexperienced this is a great place to get your foot in the door and add a few titles on your resume.

ConsNot a great place to be a staff member. Administration is only concerned with keeping faculty happy and enrolling large number of students. This is not an institution that welcomes diversity. If you're a woman or a minority you won't go very far. You're expected to work all hours of the night and on weekends. Worklife balance is NOT taken into consideration at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour staff carries the college. Stop abusing them. Shuttle some funding in the way of Student Affairs. The students that come to Georgia Gwinnett College (an open access institution) don't care if they faculty went to Harvard so stop investing money in degrees and start developing a supportive institution and maybe your retention will be better.

GGC experiences very real growing pains.

Librarian (Former Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsI will say the vast majority of the people I worked with were great. The students were great to work with and most were enthusiastic about their education. Faculty outside my department were easy to work with and communicate with. There is a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement on the campus for its mission and goals.

ConsThe area I worked in was not very supportive of family, children, or single parents. Communication from further up the chain of command was slow to travel to others. Where the department I worked in was going, what the plans were for getting there, how I fit into those plans, and communication on my performance were highly lacking. Upper management left no recourse for filing grievances or seeing anything done to resolve issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport those with children. Understand they may be the only caretaker available. Younger children are more prone to illness when in daycare. Communicate plans for your departments and how those working there fit into these plans.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heart is in the right place

Professional Writing Tutor (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsEveryone who works here is more than happy to lend a hand, or offer a suggestion, even if you're in the middle of a session or they are. It's a very welcoming environment for staff and students, and the management really lets you take the lead on things and set the pace in the workspace.

ConsUnfortunately, this soft-managing has repercussions, specifically when it comes to the student assistants and their understanding of what it is we "do." Many times they will seat us with a student who thinks they're getting their paper edited, only to have us tell them this is in fact the one service we do not offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet everyone on the same page. Have your tutors understand what it means to tutor the student in writing skills and strategies and not to edit the work for the students themselves.
    Have the student assistants learn the same, especially the fact that we do not edit. Rhetoric is everything, and the assistants are the first line of defense when it comes to making sure students understand what the writing center is for, and how they can best utilize its services.

Nice environment to work in, but not enough hours to go around.

Professional Writing Tutor (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsFlexibility in a college environment

ConsBudget cruch...lose hours...no annual raise

Adjunct Professor

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsEnvironment. Low stress if you plan ahead.

ConsPay could be a little better per class.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjunct salaries should mirror what the full time professors make. i.e. Business School professors should make more than English professors.

Library Assistant

Lilbrary Assistant (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsFlexible hours, great staff, and easy job

ConsHours are limited and deal with a lot of people

GGC is a great environment to be working in, especially in the school of science and technology

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsA very supportive environment, especially for women.
    Excellent colleagues in School of science and technology
    The vision of the school is well communicated
    Freedom to work according to your personal schedule
    Good pay scale

ConsToo much college related committee work.
    Do not get enough time for research

Positive but with growing pains

Instructor of English (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsVery collegial atmosphere amongst the faculty and staff.

ConsDisorganized because of the rapid growth

Great place to work as a student

ITEC PEER TUTOR (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsAs a student it can be tough to get a job. GGC has many different jobs available for students and takes great care in utilizing as much of its student population as possible.

ConsI have not experienced any real cons except that there are no full-time positions for students. So without full-time status there are no health benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementFull-time capability would be excellent.

Worked for Georgia Gwinnett College? Contribute to the Community!