Georgia Gwinnett College Reviews

3.2
Stanley C. “Stas” Preczewski

1. It's changing and not for the better

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're young and inexperienced this is a great place to get your foot in the door and add a few titles on your resume.

Cons

Not a great place to be a staff member. Administration is only concerned with keeping faculty happy and enrolling large number of students. This is not an institution that welcomes diversity. If you're a woman or a minority you won't go very far. You're expected to work all hours of the night and on weekends. Worklife balance is NOT taken into consideration at all!

Advice to Management

Your staff carries the college. Stop abusing them. Shuttle some funding in the way of Student Affairs. The students that come to Georgia Gwinnett College (an open access institution) don't care if they faculty went to Harvard so stop investing money in degrees and start developing a supportive institution and maybe your retention will be better.

2. Not What it's Cracked Up to Be

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Students are eager to learn and, for the most part, appreciate your help.

Cons

Leaders abuse their power. Employees consistently work 60 hour or more weeks and state standards for employment are not followed. I have seen colleagues treated in disrespectful, hurtful, and unfair ways, including being yelled at, lied about, and humiliated in front of peers. Management either initiates the abuse, ignores it, or supports it.

3. Discriminatory Hiring Practices in Film Program?

Pros

They advertise frequently for Film positions.

Cons

I applied for advertised positions in the Film program at GGC on several occasions. I NEVER received even a rejection note. More important, I am one of the top film professors in the USA, with numerous national and international accolades for my publications and pedagogy. When I checked on who WAS fired for these positions, it turns out that no one with a national reputation was ever hired; in fact, these ads run almost every year or two so GGC seems unable to hire even adequate instructors. They had their chance to fire a "star" -- albeit someone who was over 50 years of age, which SHOULD be a protected class.

Advice to Management

Investigate the hiring processes and procedures of your HR department and the Film Program

5. Horrible company to work for!

Pros

None! In the process of leaving the company.

Cons

Horrible pay. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better!

6. A great place to work under the first president but declining due to new leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's lots of flexibility to work on different things. College is still young (less than ten years) so few entrenched ways of doing things that can't be changed.

Cons

Where to begin? GGC is chronically understaffed and when staff are added, it's often based on who has the ear of the new president. In fact, that generally describes how resources are allocated at GGC. Note: My "CEO" rating is based on the new president, not Dr. Kaufman who was amazing but has since moved on.

Advice to Management

Work for the good of the college rather than the good of your department and/or your friends/old connections.

7. GGC experiences very real growing pains.

Former Employee - Librarian in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Librarian in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I will say the vast majority of the people I worked with were great. The students were great to work with and most were enthusiastic about their education. Faculty outside my department were easy to work with and communicate with. There is a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement on the campus for its mission and goals.

Cons

The area I worked in was not very supportive of family, children, or single parents. Communication from further up the chain of command was slow to travel to others. Where the department I worked in was going, what the plans were for getting there, how I fit into those plans, and communication on my performance were highly lacking. Upper management left no recourse for filing grievances or seeing anything done to resolve issues.

Advice to Management

Support those with children. Understand they may be the only caretaker available. Younger children are more prone to illness when in daycare. Communicate plans for your departments and how those working there fit into these plans.

8. Resume Builder Only, Not a Place for a Career

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get plenty of time off. Newer equipment (when it works, but good luck getting help from IT)

Cons

The President does not have much control on his underlings They continuously try to re-invent the wheel with lackluster results Knee-jerk reactions to everything They allow anyone and everyone to attend. If a student can sign a financial aid form, they can attend

Advice to Management

Then the herd a bit and find VPs that work better together for the greater good of the school and not individual gains.

9. student assistant, student involvement

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with schedule Networking prospects Being involved with the school.

Cons

-Lots of red tape -ignoring students workers needs in departments. -too much focus on academics, they think anything not academics should get no budget or say. -improper use of student tuitions. -very disorganized, last minute events. Wasting students' funding. -student workers are students too and should have a right to know what their money is being spent on. - No evaluations on how student worker is doing. - no response to misconduct

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what students are using in the building. Dining hall and Game room are break places for students. the game room is a therapy for students stressing and wanting to belong on campus. Having broken equipment for years and no funding for it is unacceptable. Ignoring your workers and having budget meetings where they are not even on any of the meeting is disrespectful and sets a tone that students workers aren't valued.

10. Enjoyable job

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy commute, flexible hours, friendly coworkers

Cons

Administration is somewhat disorganized, lots of meetings, not enough time to conduct research, classes getting bigger every semester

11. Positive but with growing pains

Current Employee - Instructor of English in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Instructor of English in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

Very collegial atmosphere amongst the faculty and staff.

Cons

Disorganized because of the rapid growth

RSS Feed </> Embed