Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Georgia-Pacific Corporation President & CEO Jim Hannan

Jim Hannan

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall, an excellent company with world-class senior management

Director, Planning & Analysis (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell-managed, plenty of opportunities, fair compensation structure, privately owned, empowering, highly respectful workplace with minimal tolerance for low integrity individuals

ConsLess-than-ideal work-life balance, extremely conservative, IT systems are non-integrated, extremely high expectations and standards, benefits are fair but nothing to write home about

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to re-visit compensation and retention strategies for top talent

Who you know

Packaging Engineer (Former Employee)
Norcross, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits: great 401k match
Health insurance

ConsMoving up is who you know and kissing ass and not based on performance. Also you're more likely to move up first you're male & white
Focus is on all the wrong things.
High level of favoritism, pettiness, politics & bureaucracy
MBM is used as a weapon 100,000% of the time. Sometimes it's almost occultish. A culture that will eventually not work because they refuse to move with the changes of the world
GP packaging may not last long; all sales rep do is maintain old accounts and not get new accounts
They talk of challenging the process but that only applies to management. If you're at the bottom don't try to challenge just hush & get your money

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Management at the innovation institution : there's really no innovation going on there all they do is gossip with the receptionist who always looks shabbly dressed

Good Company for compensation but bad management and political views forced upon employees

Logistics Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benefits good pay, work from home

ConsMixed politics with everyday business due to them being a Private Company

Very Rigid Corporate Atmosphere

Analyst (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary was not that bad and the company seemed to have good values. Some of the employes who have been there a long time give you good advice about the company. If you reach out for help someone who has been there a while will help you.

ConsThey live by the MBM Priniciples. They lead you to believe that they care about you and your development. Don't believe it. Stressful place to work and very political. At one time I heard was a great place to work. My experience was not good. It's not a laid back place to work. As a matter of fact you have to watch your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to lighten up. OK I get it about the MBM Principles but listen to your employees.
Need to fix some internal problems with management. Take the fear factor out of being approached with some new ideas.

PHONEY and OVERRATED

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time

ProsYou'll be lured to GP with a great starting salary, subsidized transportation, a downtown location, and the promise of MBM (respect, value creation, challenge process....).
Will look good on your resume.

ConsYour expectations will be dashed. No annual cost-of living raise, and most promotions don't include a raise. Horrifying micromanagement that will suck the joy out of your job and the life right out of you. The MBM guidelines, if actually implemented, would be awesome. But, GP management only talks about MBM it doesn't actually walk it.
Management wants you to think GP isn't like other huge corporations, that they hold themselves to a higher standard called MBM guiding principles. However, once you get here, you find out its just as bad or worse than other companies, GP just hides it better at first. If you do challenge an idea in a meeting, be prepared to have it show up on your review. Respect and integrity, though part of MBM principles, is phoney and counterfeit.

Advice to Senior ManagementMBM needs to be more than talk, please walk it. Don't pretend to embrace "change" and the "challenge process" and then retaliate in reviews. Don't talk about value creation when all you mean is that you'll promote only your friends who you value. If the Koch brothers saw how GP interprets MBM, they'd be ashamed.
Many middle managers have no people skills, and are so paranoid and insecure they blame others for their mistakes and problems. Listen when employees tell you a boss can't manage, they're telling you the truth and giving you an opportunity to fix the problem. Otherwise, you'll keep losing excellent workers in order to appease bad managers.

I believe GP is a wonderful incubator for those in transition or looking for a steady 9-5.

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

ProsLarge corporation with plenty of problems to solve.

ConsUnfortunately many of those problems are organizational/political.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your people and compensate them fairly.

Disappointed

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsMBM is a great culture if practiced

ConsPoor middle management. Empty promises and people are overworked if you are in the wrong group. There are a lot of pockets of dissatisfaction.

Great Work Environment

ProsThere are no Prod that I have encountered

ConsGreat Culture and Leadership. MBM Framework works well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Great company to work for.

Payroll Accounting (Former Employee)

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGeorgia Pacific is a company that values it's employees. There are plenty of career opportunities at Georgia Pacific, as well as room for growth within the different areas of Georgia Pacific.

ConsLike most companies, there were some challenges with Management. For example, allowing specific individuals to get away with things that were obviously inappropriate at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide regular customer service training to management, quarterly, so that the lessons will stay fresh in their heads.

Great company but not progressive enough for experienced IT professionals

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time

ProsGreat downtown location
Great onsite amenities so you rarely need to leave the building for anything
Executives are very friendly and personable, which us very rare

ConsIT is SLOW as molasses and management is not as receptive to change as they claim to be. The IT department is great for those looking to either jump start their technical career or those complacent in their careers and just looking for a stable employer to work out the remainder of years until retirement. There is much talk about MBM, wanting employees to drive innovation and challenging management. The truth is, most employees here are much older, set in their ways and resist any talk of change, especially from younger employees, which there aren't very many by the way. There does not seem to be much opportunity for growth and advancement for younger professionals due to older management, who do not appear to be leaving anytime soon. Any seasoned IT professional coming in with formal processes, procedures, etc, none of it matters and is unwelcome here. Everything is done at a very basic level so if you come from more formal and structured IT environments, this most likely will not be the place for you unless you're ok with "dumbing it down".

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more receptive to new ideas and truly allow employees to innovate without immediate resistance. Otherwise, I don't see ambitious, creative and highly talented professionals staying with the company long term.

Worked for Georgia-Pacific Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Georgia-Pacific Corporation reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Georgia-Pacific Corporation CEO Jim Hannan. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Georgia-Pacific Corporation employees.