Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Georgia-Pacific Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Georgia-Pacific Corporation President & CEO Jim Hannan

Jim Hannan

Pros
  • Employment is stable and there is generally a good work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

• Market-Based Management: It really does make a difference in the decisions we make and how we do business(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • GP doesn't practice core values of parent company (MBM "Market Based Management")(in 7 reviews)

• A strict and unforgiving set of guiding principles(in 12 reviews)

Good company, stable career.

ProsMany opportunities to learn. Not too stressful. A lot of different areas to work, depending on your interests.

ConsEntry level pay is lower than competitors, lower bonus. Only two weeks vacation to start. Not enough training, it's on your own. Promises of training are not followed through on.

Excellent company.

Strategic Sourcing Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsMarket based management focus on creating values.

ConsBecoming a little too big with lots or procedures and red tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess procedures, more guidelines.

Great Place to work and grow

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCulture is very flexible and want you to improve yourself. They want you to challenge each other even your supervisors to find the best solution for a problem.

ConsEntry-level jobs are few and they mostly look for more experience in the IT sector. they will pass up new employee who they can shape in their own culture for someone who will demand more pay because of their experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees need help

Consumer Products IT Worker (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood principles and a focus on safety. Flexible work schedules and realization that employees have a life outside of work.
    A lot of different career paths although horizontal moves aren't always easy.

ConsMBM culture is good on paper but not all leaders walk the talk.
    May departments are understaffed and overworked. This has been a real issue the last 2 - 4 years. There is a major fulfillment problem at the moment, especially in IT.
    I would have given the company 4 or 5 starts a few years ago before "do unrealistically more with less" became the philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees and let your current employees know from time to time they are appreciated. Get the employees feedback more regularly. Fulfillment is a real issue right now.

Poor mid management

ProsStable job, and pays well with overtime

ConsManagement is clueless on how to manage people. They only know how to manage the machines, but have poor skills on dealing with employees, Very Very Very high turn around.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you preach it, live by it.

It's okay

Brand Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsA steady pay check. Great location. Located in downtown Atlanta. Lean layers between junior levels and senior levels. General Management training.

ConsDon't give pay raises. Average benefits. Management is good at numbers but bad at people development. Be prepared to deal with conservative politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange to reflect more diverse workforce. Develop your people. MBM is not all world end world that you think it is.

Great company with great values.

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) Palatka, FL

ProsThe company truly lives its values and pays a competitive salary. Benefits are great and the PTO is acceptable.

ConsTime demanding. Frustrating dealing with unnecessary issues at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain your values in the face of opposition.

Good People

ProsMill I worked at was great. Manager has my own best interest at heart. Can work wherever there are opening company wide.

ConsFrustrating at times to move projects forward due to hoops you have to jump through. Salary wasn't as high as what competitors can offer.

Transportation planning isJust hypocritical disappointed below market for pay no yearly raise

Transportation Planner (Former Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsReally nothing left for,similar job 10k raise

ConsJob is being,replaced by temps if you love being micro managed you will love it

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace all managment

Good company if you are at the right facility

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Camas, WA

ProsInvest in new employees with training and base rate increases, peers are generally friendly and nice to work with. Lots of opportunity to advance within the company quickly.

ConsBenefits are pretty middle of the road as far as medical. compensation can be low in comparison to other heavy industry. In recent years the location I worked at has shifted to a lot of short term thinking with much less focus on reliability and continuous improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to focus on talent retention including base rate increases and training. Also a shift toward long term investment and away from aggressive cost cutting in the interest of creating long term value

Worked for Georgia-Pacific Corporation? Contribute to the Community!