Georgia-Pacific Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.1
Georgia-Pacific Corporation President & CEO Jim Hannan
Jim Hannan

Pros
  • Work/life balance may be a the best you could hope for (in 10 reviews)

• Pay and benefits were OK once the Koch's took over in 2005 (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The owners drive the company on a set of principles called Market based management(MBM) (in 8 reviews)

• Management wants you to think GP isn't like other huge corporations, that they hold themselves to a higher standard called MBM guiding principles (in 13 reviews)

1. Great Place to work if you are into adding value and working with people who try their best to live by principles.

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

- Very capable management. - Long term investors - Focus on doing the right thing.

Cons

- big company sometimes gets hard to handle

Advice to Management

MBM and the Principles are the right way to manage. Continue to hold people accountalbe to their application.

2. A great company of great exposure and opportunities for career growth that had a focused enviroment

Former Employee - National Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - National Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

Leaders in the industry and Inovative... Presence they have in the industry... A diverse company that positioned the divisions well in markets. Good reputation for having the best and most experienced sales and buyers. Recruited some of the best in manangement teams....

Cons

Politics was and is always an issue in large companies and often times would get in the way between business groups!

Advice to Management

holding on to your experienced is key to customer satisfaction....looking forward to a recovery in the economy to get back to a healthy business...

3. Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Monticello, MS
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Monticello, MS

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

Friendly people and a great culture Believes in teamwork opportunities for growth

Cons

takes a while to get project approved long hours (but only at times)

A rewarding career choice in a company with integrity

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

Georgia Pacific LLC has a culture of integrity at all levels. Employees are held accountable for their actions without regard for position or connections. Fair treatment is the cornerstone of what to expect.

Cons

Profit is the main ingredient for success at Georgia Pacific LLC. The balance of cost vs. quality may tend toward cost, though great emphasis is placed on finding the balance.

6. Great firm and true respect

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

A true family, many people have had other generations work there and consider it an honor to be there. Koch Industries have help with some inefficiencies and are looking to always improve providing new opportunities. Southern Hospitality from the day I started through the day I left.

Cons

Still a paper company so other roles have little turnover.

7. The Best Job I Ever Had

Current Employee - Finance and Accounting in Yulee, FL
    Current Employee - Finance and Accounting in Yulee, FL

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

They are a great company to work for. There is always room to advance. Benefits are great.

Cons

Did not find any in the time I worked there.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work as I am trying to get rehired because the location I was employed at sold out to another company.

Fulfilling

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

People, Work Ethic, Social responsibility, Opportunity, Principled Entrepreneurship, Encourages new ideas, ownership, challenge process, Minimal Bureaucratic Overhead, Accountability, Employees viewed as greatest asset. Top management reviews business results with organization.

Cons

The benefits could be a little better; more formal HR processes and training for new managers would be beneficial; more opportunities for sharing ideas and experiences across operating companies.

Advice to Management

9. GP gave a big opportunity when I was young, and I took it and have not look back.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GP select the talents and retain their employees. Paper products are residential and commercial use, so you know this GP Corporation will be there for a long time.

Cons

Safety is a big deal for the company.Be safe and one incident is too many.

Advice to Management

Everyone start at the beginning of the race line, when you get ahead, remember where you started!

10. overall pleasant experience so far

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent real world experience, friendly work environment, great benefits and opportunities available to those who actively pursue and show a willingness to advance

Cons

develop more professional development courses for novice employees, seek advice from those who have the proper input to make wise solutions and decisions

Advice to Management

none

11. Work at a great Company,Emporia Plywood,Emporia,Va

Former Employee - Shift Electrician in Emporia, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Electrician in Emporia, VA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with a easy to get along with Immediate Supervisor,And the Superintendent was a laid back fellow also,but,they still scheduled the work and it was done correctly and timely. The company always had a choice of bottled water and Gatorade in the summer and in the winter if you had to stay out in the cold you could take a short break to warm up

Cons

The parking lot was a good walk from most of the work stations. They have fixed shifts instead of rotating shifts and if you wanted to change your shift,it could take a while

Advice to Management

Keep up the Laser like focus on the safety programs and the rewards that went with it. I think that is the way,instead of just have discipline side of it. And keep up the good work

RSS Feed </> Embed