Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Updated September 12, 2014
2.9

Georgia-Pacific Corporation President & CEO Jim Hannan
Jim Hannan

Pros
  • Employment is stable and there is generally a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Market-Based Management: It really does make a difference in the decisions we make and how we do business (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • GP doesn't practice core values of parent company (MBM "Market Based Management") (in 7 reviews)

• A strict and unforgiving set of guiding principles (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Employees need help

Current Employee - Consumer Products IT Worker  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consumer Products IT Worker in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time

Pros

Good principles and a focus on safety. Flexible work schedules and realization that employees have a life outside of work.
    A lot of different career paths although horizontal moves aren't always easy.

Cons

MBM culture is good on paper but not all leaders walk the talk.
    May departments are understaffed and overworked. This has been a real issue the last 2 - 4 years. There is a major fulfillment problem at the moment, especially in IT.
    I would have given the company 4 or 5 starts a few years ago before "do unrealistically more with less" became the philosophy.

Hire more employees and let your current employees know from time to time they are appreciated. Get the employees feedback more regularly. Fulfillment is a real issue right now.

Long term employee who loved the work and only left due to layoff.

Former Employee - Human Resources/Safety  in  Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Human Resources/Safety in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun, competitive workplace while still being cooperative. The corrugator plant (Spartanburg) I was in , did very well my 13 years with the company.

Cons

Big decisions come out of corporate in Atlanta and plants just have to "deal with it":!

Plants getting results should be copied. Part of why I was cut was because they wanted headcount reduction. Our plant was already lean, so the reduction was stupid and incompetent.

Overall decent experience.

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/life balance was great. Good overall team. I learned a lot.

Cons

Someone untrustworthy was promoted to be the boss. The salaries for this position were all different. Found that I was on the bottom range of the salaries, yet I was a top contributor.

Please, KNOW your people before you promote them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

At least the pay is nice

Current Employee - Staff Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Project Engineer

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice and the pay is higher than average.

Cons

My biggest disappointments with GP has been the lack of safety (4 fatalities in the first half of 2014), employee development, department organization, communication of goals, and collaboration. There is a large gap between those who are nearing retirement and those who have been with GP for less than a year. While the older employees are very knowledgeable, that wisdom is kept in their heads and not shared when it is needed the most. These older employees are also very resistant to change or utilizing anything new meaning they function like companies did in the 80's. Management is highly unlikely to spend any money on anything that does not have a direct payback in the immediate future (employee training or evening updating plant drawings). Teamwork, communication, and collaboration are almost non-existent even when needed. High turnover of the best people, who leave in frustration. High deductible health insurance. Lastly, even with the life-long, GP dedicated employees, there is a sense the company makes money off of its employees through such things as charging employees to park in the GP deck and monthly "maintenance" fees in retirement accounts unlike I've seen in any other company.

Proper training does not mean a video over the internet. Please stop sending me staunchly conservative literature telling me for whom to vote and that cutting down trees is actually good for the environment. Also, the coffee is literally the worst I have ever had. If the owner of the company can afford to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on influencing politics, is a decent cup of coffee too much to ask? Please?

Excellent company.

Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Market based management focus on creating values.

Cons

Becoming a little too big with lots or procedures and red tape.

Less procedures, more guidelines.

BEWARE of Corrigan

Former Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Corrigan, TX
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Corrigan, TX

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

They will give you a regularly scheduled paycheck and will treat you great during the hiring process. A key benefactor here is that if you know what your worth, they will pay it to you. Just be sure to get it up front and in writing. Because once your hired on you become "owned property"

Cons

Raises and reviews are based on hours worked, not effort. The one way around that is to kiss up. Corrigan Tx is ran by a team of evil plywood demons that will work you to the brink of death and then hold you "accountable" for your exhaustion. Safety is an afterthought, even after having senior team members die in a terrible accident. Even after the accident it was all about making plywood and playing catch up. What's even worse than that is the fact that no one in Atlanta will do anything about it. They have lost a lot of great talent lately, and still no change. Senior people have gone years with little to no "bonus" and have not seen a single cent in the form of a raise. GP may be a good company, but avoid the "Building Products" division at all costs!! The have people in roles that are supposed to care and improve things, such as Continuous Improvement, but it is a joke. Nobody will listen to an idea or acknowledge an issue unless your high level. A Supervisor that was a previous CI guy left for that very reason. They have a Training Coordinator, but does no training. They send you to training that Corp. puts on and then will tell you "we don't do it like that" afterwards. . Great leaders leave as soon as their contract is up. Even those with strong military backgrounds leave in disgust. The HR Dept. Well, they are the gate keepers that allows it all to happen and protects the evil team that is in place.

Pay attention to what's going on!! Lives are at stake and families depend on you to do what's right!!

I feel like I was hyped up hearing about how wonderful this opportunity to join GP was going to be.....all a big lie

Current Employee - Machine Operator  in  Owosso, MI
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Owosso, MI

Pros

Close to home...good pay...good benefits.. Great employees. Good employee service center online to review your benefits and employee info

Cons

Crappy scheduling of work to be done, mandatory overtime working employees on average of 68 hrs a week. Horrible training process. Setting unrealistic goals using a 1/3 of the workforce that would be needed to complete said goals

Please stop working your employees into the dirt. Team morale is gone BC of this. Exhausted employees = crap quality products and loss of future business. Stop setting unreasonable goals for production and get more of a lead time to complete orders for customer ( i .e . be prepared for machine breakdowns material issues etc.) Set up a system of overtime for everyone....not just low seniority. Work a week or 2 of 12-14 hr days consecutively and either get a week of normal hours to recharge or get a 1/2 point deducted if applicable. I'll end with this I would love to try and fix this for the people at the owosso Michigan plant and I guarantee if you make these people happy you will have a much easier flow of work better quality products and tons more respect from this group of great people

Terrible.

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

I get an office with a door and in general my direct supervisor isn't a micro manager. People rarely get fired, and if they do it takes years, so if you just want to do the minimum and get by, you'll have a job forever.

Cons

Theory and practice are two different things. The culture sounds great on paper, but it's not the same in practice. Compensation is great in theory, but for some reason it's never executed like theory. I feel like I'm being watched all the time and there's a general lack of accountability for the people who screw up. Instead, GP uses group punishment - instead of dealing with problem employees, everyone gets punished.

Good company, stable career.

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to learn. Not too stressful. A lot of different areas to work, depending on your interests.

Cons

Entry level pay is lower than competitors, lower bonus. Only two weeks vacation to start. Not enough training, it's on your own. Promises of training are not followed through on.

Poor mid management

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

Stable job, and pays well with overtime

Cons

Management is clueless on how to manage people. They only know how to manage the machines, but have poor skills on dealing with employees, Very Very Very high turn around.

If you preach it, live by it.

Worked for Georgia-Pacific Corporation? Contribute to the Community!