Georgia-Pacific Corporation Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

Georgia-Pacific Corporation President & CEO Jim Hannan
Jim Hannan

Pros
  • Employment is stable and there is generally a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Market-Based Management: It really does make a difference in the decisions we make and how we do business (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • GP doesn't practice core values of parent company (MBM "Market Based Management") (in 7 reviews)

• A strict and unforgiving set of guiding principles (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work and grow

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture is very flexible and want you to improve yourself. They want you to challenge each other even your supervisors to find the best solution for a problem.

Cons

Entry-level jobs are few and they mostly look for more experience in the IT sector. they will pass up new employee who they can shape in their own culture for someone who will demand more pay because of their experience.

I feel like I was hyped up hearing about how wonderful this opportunity to join GP was going to be.....all a big lie

Current Employee - Machine Operator  in  Owosso, MI
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Owosso, MI

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Close to home...good pay...good benefits.. Great employees. Good employee service center online to review your benefits and employee info

Cons

Crappy scheduling of work to be done, mandatory overtime working employees on average of 68 hrs a week. Horrible training process. Setting unrealistic goals using a 1/3 of the workforce that would be needed to complete said goals

Please stop working your employees into the dirt. Team morale is gone BC of this. Exhausted employees = crap quality products and loss of future business. Stop setting unreasonable goals for production and get more of a lead time to complete orders for customer ( i .e . be prepared for machine breakdowns material issues etc.) Set up a system of overtime for everyone....not just low seniority. Work a week or 2 of 12-14 hr days consecutively and either get a week of normal hours to recharge or get a 1/2 point deducted if applicable. I'll end with this I would love to try and fix this for the people at the owosso Michigan plant and I guarantee if you make these people happy you will have a much easier flow of work better quality products and tons more respect from this group of great people

MBM - Great concept but no where to be found in practice. An absolute vanishing fog in practice!

Former Employee - Plant Manager  in  Blue Rapids, KS
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Blue Rapids, KS

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great build-up during the recruiting process - enjoy it while it lasts! Forget about raises and bonuses - Even the Science of Success indicates the are unlimited but in 3 years unlimited = 0; even with exemplary Safety/Quality/Service/Cost and financial results.

Cons

Severe micro-management defies a Guiding Principle anywhere remotely resembling Principled Entrepreneurship. An understandable outcome brought on by current severe financial losses in Gypsum but, only if paid analysts would get out of Atlanta, visit the sites and understood the business, it's products, it's site resources, equipment and capabilities; Even better the manufacturing processes and the products produced!

Read the Science of Success very slowly, put it down, reread it, put it down and repeat 10 times. There is some very good advice on how to run a business successfully in there - especially considering the total absence of common sense and logic!! Get out of Atlanta frequently enough to understand that resources in the Plants generate the $$$ that allow you to enjoy the Pink Palace!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's okay

Current Employee - Brand Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A steady pay check. Great location. Located in downtown Atlanta. Lean layers between junior levels and senior levels. General Management training.

Cons

Don't give pay raises. Average benefits. Management is good at numbers but bad at people development. Be prepared to deal with conservative politics.

Change to reflect more diverse workforce. Develop your people. MBM is not all world end world that you think it is.

Great company with great values.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Palatka, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Palatka, FL

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company truly lives its values and pays a competitive salary. Benefits are great and the PTO is acceptable.

Cons

Time demanding. Frustrating dealing with unnecessary issues at times.

Maintain your values in the face of opposition.

Good People

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Mill I worked at was great. Manager has my own best interest at heart. Can work wherever there are opening company wide.

Cons

Frustrating at times to move projects forward due to hoops you have to jump through. Salary wasn't as high as what competitors can offer.

Depends on the Division you are in.....Building Products is messed up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Corrigan, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corrigan, TX

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good 401(k)
    MBM at a corporate level is really interesting and insperational to listen to the people that walk the talk
    Really decent folks out on the production floor

Cons

Really bad leadership at the mill levels
    MBM not practiced at the Mill level
    Morale is low due to poor leadership at the mill level

Step1) Senior management.....show up to a mill one day (unannounced) and just start talking to the folks out on the floor. Get the full & unfiltered message!
    Step2) after listening to the unfiltered message.....develop a plan to remove the dead-weight leadership!
    Step3) Hire some new blood that knows what continious improvement is all about!

Was ready to leave at 6 months in to my new job with GP...but things are getting better

Current Employee - Safety Manager
    Current Employee - Safety Manager

Pros

The division I am in has little to zero processes in place at the corporate and plant levels. Anything I can put in place people think I am a genius! Great time to come on-board in my division due to mental models being corrected to align with Koch's MBM methodology and Risk Tolerance.

Cons

Benefits are not inline with publicly held companies of similar size. Relocation benefits are just plain cheap compared to other fortune 200 companies I have worked for in the past. Lack of technology and lack of time dedicated to training employees. As a Koch company audits take place early and often and these audits eat resources in the factory.

Lay off the audits - give us a chance to catch our breath. Need more support from Corporate in the plants vs. in an email. As a privately held company I would expect your benefits and fringe benefits to outpace publicly traded companies because there is so little information (particularly financial) data available when people do research on the company.

Good experience, but not sustainable in the long term

Former Employee - Buyer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great experience. Got to do a lot of things and learn about the pulp and paper industry and gain experience in MRO purchasing. GP was a great place to get "real world" experience and start my career...I will just be finishing my career at another company

Cons

If you don't want to be married to your job and sacrifice your personal life (I was on call 24/7 for one week a month) this isn't the place for you. It seemed like the purchasing group in the mills was the cleanup crew. When other groups would screw something up, they would simply figure out a way to dump it in our lap and let us figure it out while they go home at 4 every afternoon. Unless you have a great passion for trees this probably isn't a long-term place for you.

Work on culture in the mills. I worked in Atlanta and multiple facilities. In ATL they work on MBM and try to hold everyone accountable for their actions, at the mills, however, they don't even know what MBM stands for. Also, work on the workload distribution. At the mills I could work 24 hours a day and still be behind while Atlanta folks worked 9-5 and never afterhours.

No work/Life balance

Current Employee - Production Labor  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Production Labor in Akron, OH

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is outstanding
    Benefits are good
    Great co-workers

Cons

Mandatory overtime. We are told on Thursdays whether or not we are to work on Saturday.
    Terrible point system. Let's just say that you better not get sick or call off because you need personal time.

Schedule work better. Give us a chance to have a life outside of Georgia Pacific. Employee morale is at rock bottom thoughout the plant. Most people working at the Akron Box Plant feel that management does not care about them at all.

Worked for Georgia-Pacific Corporation? Contribute to the Community!