Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Updated September 28, 2014
2.9

Georgia-Pacific Corporation President & CEO Jim Hannan
Jim Hannan

Pros
  • Work/life balance may be a the best you could hope for (in 9 reviews)

• Pay and benefits were OK once the Koch's took over in 2005 (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Guiding Principles should be adhered to at all levels of management (in 13 reviews)

• GP doesn't practice core values of parent company (MBM "Market Based Management") (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company.

Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Market based management focus on creating values.

Cons

Becoming a little too big with lots or procedures and red tape.

Less procedures, more guidelines.

Poor mid management

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

Stable job, and pays well with overtime

Cons

Management is clueless on how to manage people. They only know how to manage the machines, but have poor skills on dealing with employees, Very Very Very high turn around.

If you preach it, live by it.

Great Place to work and grow

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture is very flexible and want you to improve yourself. They want you to challenge each other even your supervisors to find the best solution for a problem.

Cons

Entry-level jobs are few and they mostly look for more experience in the IT sector. they will pass up new employee who they can shape in their own culture for someone who will demand more pay because of their experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I feel like I was hyped up hearing about how wonderful this opportunity to join GP was going to be.....all a big lie

Current Employee - Machine Operator  in  Owosso, MI
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Owosso, MI

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Close to home...good pay...good benefits.. Great employees. Good employee service center online to review your benefits and employee info

Cons

Crappy scheduling of work to be done, mandatory overtime working employees on average of 68 hrs a week. Horrible training process. Setting unrealistic goals using a 1/3 of the workforce that would be needed to complete said goals

Please stop working your employees into the dirt. Team morale is gone BC of this. Exhausted employees = crap quality products and loss of future business. Stop setting unreasonable goals for production and get more of a lead time to complete orders for customer ( i .e . be prepared for machine breakdowns material issues etc.) Set up a system of overtime for everyone....not just low seniority. Work a week or 2 of 12-14 hr days consecutively and either get a week of normal hours to recharge or get a 1/2 point deducted if applicable. I'll end with this I would love to try and fix this for the people at the owosso Michigan plant and I guarantee if you make these people happy you will have a much easier flow of work better quality products and tons more respect from this group of great people

MBM - Great concept but no where to be found in practice. An absolute vanishing fog in practice!

Former Employee - Plant Manager  in  Blue Rapids, KS
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Blue Rapids, KS

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great build-up during the recruiting process - enjoy it while it lasts! Forget about raises and bonuses - Even the Science of Success indicates the are unlimited but in 3 years unlimited = 0; even with exemplary Safety/Quality/Service/Cost and financial results.

Cons

Severe micro-management defies a Guiding Principle anywhere remotely resembling Principled Entrepreneurship. An understandable outcome brought on by current severe financial losses in Gypsum but, only if paid analysts would get out of Atlanta, visit the sites and understood the business, it's products, it's site resources, equipment and capabilities; Even better the manufacturing processes and the products produced!

Read the Science of Success very slowly, put it down, reread it, put it down and repeat 10 times. There is some very good advice on how to run a business successfully in there - especially considering the total absence of common sense and logic!! Get out of Atlanta frequently enough to understand that resources in the Plants generate the $$$ that allow you to enjoy the Pink Palace!

Terrible.

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Pros

I get an office with a door and in general my direct supervisor isn't a micro manager. People rarely get fired, and if they do it takes years, so if you just want to do the minimum and get by, you'll have a job forever.

Cons

Theory and practice are two different things. The culture sounds great on paper, but it's not the same in practice. Compensation is great in theory, but for some reason it's never executed like theory. I feel like I'm being watched all the time and there's a general lack of accountability for the people who screw up. Instead, GP uses group punishment - instead of dealing with problem employees, everyone gets punished.

It's okay

Current Employee - Brand Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A steady pay check. Great location. Located in downtown Atlanta. Lean layers between junior levels and senior levels. General Management training.

Cons

Don't give pay raises. Average benefits. Management is good at numbers but bad at people development. Be prepared to deal with conservative politics.

Change to reflect more diverse workforce. Develop your people. MBM is not all world end world that you think it is.

Great company with great values.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Palatka, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Palatka, FL

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company truly lives its values and pays a competitive salary. Benefits are great and the PTO is acceptable.

Cons

Time demanding. Frustrating dealing with unnecessary issues at times.

Maintain your values in the face of opposition.

Good People

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Mill I worked at was great. Manager has my own best interest at heart. Can work wherever there are opening company wide.

Cons

Frustrating at times to move projects forward due to hoops you have to jump through. Salary wasn't as high as what competitors can offer.

No work/Life balance

Current Employee - Production Labor  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Production Labor in Akron, OH

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is outstanding
    Benefits are good
    Great co-workers

Cons

Mandatory overtime. We are told on Thursdays whether or not we are to work on Saturday.
    Terrible point system. Let's just say that you better not get sick or call off because you need personal time.

Schedule work better. Give us a chance to have a life outside of Georgia Pacific. Employee morale is at rock bottom thoughout the plant. Most people working at the Akron Box Plant feel that management does not care about them at all.

Georgia-Pacific Corporation Photos

Seminar
Main Offices
The "Pink Palace" as it
Georgia-Pacific Headquaters

+ Add Photo

Worked for Georgia-Pacific Corporation? Contribute to the Community!