Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Updated October 20, 2014
2.9

Georgia-Pacific Corporation President & CEO Jim Hannan
Jim Hannan

Pros
  • competitive benefits, encouraging MBM culture, and reasonable work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Pay and benefits were OK once the Koch's took over in 2005 (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Management has good philosophies "Market Based Management" but not all leaders actually follow it (in 8 reviews)

• Guiding Principles should be adhered to at all levels of management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't Bother!

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They company pays relatively well compared to others in similar type position. Some positions allow you to work from home on occasion.

Cons

Very much favoritism based company, political comments in many meetings and presentations, the company owns its own staffing company called Encadria thats sole purpose is to hire people for Georgia Pacific which allows them hire employees that get paid poorly and don't get benefits but do a lot of the same work as others. Processing for the organization are repudiative and cumbersome. They throw their MBM guiding principals down your throat but don't follow them by any means. The company wastes money in so many ways yet can't make decent improvements to things.

Stop shove your political opinions down our throats, make smarter choices, hire your dedicated people whom you lead on via your own temp agency and have better training of management.

Lots of Opportunity

Pros

Ability to move around to different departments and positions.
    MBM philosophy is good when actually practiced.
    Quality performance reviews every six months with specific goals.

Cons

Promises for raises and promotions are not kept.
    Added responsibilities and duties without raise or title.
    High turnaround in management.
    MBM philosophy is not followed, is actually seen as a hindrance by management.

Keep promises to employees for raises and spot bonuses.
    Review if MBM philosophy is being followed in different facilities.

Know your worth

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GP is has a great company culture. They work hard to welcome challenges and become more transparent. I genuinely believe the majority of people at this organization try to do the right thing.

Cons

There still exists a subtle hierarchy and you better fight to get rightfully compensated. They tout that you're compensated for the "value" you create, but if people actually saw that they wouldn't have some much bloat on their office floors. Truth is that GP is an old school company struggling to adjust and retain top talent, especially the young guns.

It was good.

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were many Pros. Flexible hours, great managers, friendly environment, good work-life balance, good internship program. Overall, good internship.

Cons

They have good benefits, but no pay grades. Salary is based on the average of where you are located.

My direct management was very good.

Small cog in a gigantic machine

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Friendly work environment, stable business

Cons

Sales can sometimes be shortsighted, trading long term growth for short term gains.

Sadly, it was a mistake to come here

Pros

I had such high hopes and was excited about starting the job with GP.
    There are really good people that work here.
    401(k) match is really good (but I'll be leaving that behind when I leave....3 year vesting period)
    I've had good experiences when dealing with some of the corporate groups (MBM training...Awesome! OPEX group.....Awesome!)

Cons

Dysfunctional Leadership at the top. I was in a plywood mill and it seems that the Building products division is behind the times.
    Command and Control style leadership
    Low morale on the production floor because leadership fails to act in the best interest of the workers
    Lack of trainning

If the plan is to have the building products mills around for the long term....then get rid of the unqualified leadership. Transfer some of you leadership from the Consumer Products side of the business so they can help straighten things out (Reliability, Continoious Improvent, etc)

If the plan is to run building proudcts into the ground or sell it off at at later date.....keep doing what you're doing.

Employees need help

Current Employee - Consumer Products IT Worker in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consumer Products IT Worker in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time

Pros

Good principles and a focus on safety. Flexible work schedules and realization that employees have a life outside of work.
    A lot of different career paths although horizontal moves aren't always easy.

Cons

MBM culture is good on paper but not all leaders walk the talk.
    May departments are understaffed and overworked. This has been a real issue the last 2 - 4 years. There is a major fulfillment problem at the moment, especially in IT.
    I would have given the company 4 or 5 starts a few years ago before "do unrealistically more with less" became the philosophy.

Hire more employees and let your current employees know from time to time they are appreciated. Get the employees feedback more regularly. Fulfillment is a real issue right now.

Long term employee who loved the work and only left due to layoff.

Former Employee - Human Resources/Safety in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Human Resources/Safety in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun, competitive workplace while still being cooperative. The corrugator plant (Spartanburg) I was in , did very well my 13 years with the company.

Cons

Big decisions come out of corporate in Atlanta and plants just have to "deal with it":!

Plants getting results should be copied. Part of why I was cut was because they wanted headcount reduction. Our plant was already lean, so the reduction was stupid and incompetent.

Overall decent experience.

I worked at Georgia-Pacific Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance was great. Good overall team. I learned a lot.

Cons

Someone untrustworthy was promoted to be the boss. The salaries for this position were all different. Found that I was on the bottom range of the salaries, yet I was a top contributor.

Please, KNOW your people before you promote them.

At least the pay is nice

Current Employee - Staff Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Project Engineer

Pros

People are nice and the pay is higher than average.

Cons

My biggest disappointments with GP has been the lack of safety (4 fatalities in the first half of 2014), employee development, department organization, communication of goals, and collaboration. There is a large gap between those who are nearing retirement and those who have been with GP for less than a year. While the older employees are very knowledgeable, that wisdom is kept in their heads and not shared when it is needed the most. These older employees are also very resistant to change or utilizing anything new meaning they function like companies did in the 80's. Management is highly unlikely to spend any money on anything that does not have a direct payback in the immediate future (employee training or evening updating plant drawings). Teamwork, communication, and collaboration are almost non-existent even when needed. High turnover of the best people, who leave in frustration. High deductible health insurance. Lastly, even with the life-long, GP dedicated employees, there is a sense the company makes money off of its employees through such things as charging employees to park in the GP deck and monthly "maintenance" fees in retirement accounts unlike I've seen in any other company.

Proper training does not mean a video over the internet. Please stop sending me staunchly conservative literature telling me for whom to vote and that cutting down trees is actually good for the environment. Also, the coffee is literally the worst I have ever had. If the owner of the company can afford to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on influencing politics, is a decent cup of coffee too much to ask? Please?

Georgia-Pacific Corporation Photos