Georgia Perimeter College Reviews

1. It was a great experience

Current Employee - Strength and Conditioning Coach in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Strength and Conditioning Coach in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Georgia Perimeter College

Pros

Wonderful environment, great people, great students.

Cons

No cons. Great place to work

Keep up the good work!

2. Counselor

Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Perimeter College

Pros

great colleagues, salary pretty good

Cons

No opportunity to move up.

NA

3. Great working environment, very low pay with no raises.

I worked at Georgia Perimeter College

Pros

Week off at Christmas.

Cons

No pay raises in several years.

5. Rudderless Ship

I have been working at Georgia Perimeter College

Pros

Let's see what changes GSU makes. Clearly, they are driving this merger between the schools

Cons

Low pay, lip service to serving students doesn't filter down through org. Highly disengaged workforce.

Step aside and let GSU takeover

6. "A fairly good place to teach"

Former Employee - ESL Adjunct in Dunwoody, GA
    Former Employee - ESL Adjunct in Dunwoody, GA

I worked at Georgia Perimeter College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was able to teach my curriculum without much imposition from other faculty members. I do recall that teacher evaluations were administered fairly frequently. But overall, the faculty were very helpful and eager to aid me in my professional work. In addition, the students were highly motivated and wanted to do an excellent job. I believe I had minimal behavioral issues while I was there. I would like to highly recommend the ESL department at Georgia Perimeter College for doing a fantastic job of making adjunct employees feel at home.

Cons

I found that much of the work was fairly impersonal. Mainly, showing up for classes and teaching at regular intervals was the norm. I would have liked the opportunity to get to know the faculty better, perhaps through a meet and greet or orientation session. Also, the ESL department is fairly closed off from the rest of the college. It would have been good to be able to see some of the other programs at work, and if possible, to participate in faculty events. That would have been more advantageous in making connections at the college. As it was, the department head did not exactly volunteer to give me opportunities to prove full-time faculty status.

Given the merger with Georgia State, GPC will be going through some academic purges. But I strongly advise the upper management to keep the adjunct staff on call. It is through adjuncts that the college is able to handle a fluctuating enrollment, and keep delivering quality service to the students at GPC. The way the college treats its adjunct faculty is endemic of how it treats its faculty as a whole, and it is necessary to make new faculty feel welcome. I would like to see the college up the compensation for adjunct faculty, because they are expected to work on a limited budget that often requires them to pay for their own photocopies, materials, and other incidentals. Much of the net pay is funneled away in Healthcare plans, since the college doesn't provide benefits to its adjuncts. Make sure they are adequately compensated for the work they do!

7. I have enjoyed many aspects of my job, but now with a change in leadership and management style, it is time to move on.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Georgia Perimeter College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with the students, and time off for holidays is a definite perk. As a salaried employee, I have some flexibility with my daily work schedule.

Cons

Management seems unaware of problems that are causing low morale and apathy.

8. Pleasant work environment and nice people

Current Employee - Term-to-term Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Term-to-term Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Perimeter College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

GPC offers a pleasant work environment.

Cons

The pay is not competitive.

9. Low pay, high bureaucracy

Current Employee - Math Tutor
    Current Employee - Math Tutor

I have been working at Georgia Perimeter College

Pros

Flexible time. Thankfulness of the students.

Cons

They are not open for new ideas and real improvement.

Work on quality of lectures and design of classes. Tutoring can't fill the gap made by the professors and the departments ,who are not realistic or/and don't care.

10. Clarkston Campus

Current Employee - Administrative Secretary
    Current Employee - Administrative Secretary

I have been working at Georgia Perimeter College part-time

Pros

I enjoy my co-workers. They get stuff down. The staff really is trying to make a difference in our student's lives. We are almost done with renovations!

Cons

The location is to be desired. Construction going on still so getting around campus is tough.

Call center needs to be fixed. Also the directories on website need to be updated with more accurate information.

11. Terrible for part time staff

I worked at Georgia Perimeter College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, telecommuting, not a lot of micromanaging

Cons

way too much gossip, supervisors don't always stand up for their employees, no benefits to part-timers

treat part-timers like valid members of the team, think younger! It is a college after all.