Georgia Ports Authority

Curtis J. Foltz

Georgia Ports Authority - Student Intern Review

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Savannah, GA

I worked at Georgia Ports Authority as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Family oriented, all around great company to work for.

Cons

Limited summer internship positions available.

Going nowhere fast

Current Employee - Office in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Office in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Georgia Ports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a stable paycheck. Even during the economic downturn, there were no furloughs. Benefits are better than most places in the area, including lots of paid holidays and retirement plan.

Cons

It is a dead end job. Not unless you are related to someone important, there is no room to move up. There is no motivation to do a good job. There are a lot of employees that are miserable, and management doesn't care.

Care about your employees. Happy employees make better workers.

Life at the port

Current Employee - Container Ops in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Container Ops in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Georgia Ports Authority full-time

Pros

Good pay most of the worker are good desent people. It's a good job if you aren't a hot tempered person.

Cons

Getting off for an unforseen personal situation is next to impossible even if you have vacation time, your given 40 hours a year for sick time, but beware if you get sick. You will go before a manager and be written up for missing just one sick day. I saw a man that has worked at the port for 4 years and never missed a day of work got sick for one day was written up. THATS RIDICULOUS, the managment needs to use a little common sense, something lacking on their part in many situations at the port.

The training at the port is less to be desired. It needs to be really overhauled, your trained on equipment by several different people and alot of times it is so busy the trainer doesn't have time to train you properly. And some of them don't want to train you, you'll get the basic training and then thrown to the wolves.

Some dispatchers in the control center talk to the people in the field like dogs, I've never worked any place that would allow people to be humilated on a daily basis. Not all are like this, but half of them are hatefull individuals. It's hard to tolerate on a daily basis.

Treat the people that work for you with some respect. You don't know who I am but I am former Managment for a company and the recession is how I ended up at the port. If you in Managment would show some respect and treat your workers as you would want to be treated, I think you'd see a huge difference in the work at the port. It's ok to tell people thanks for a good days work or that you are appreciate them.

Very disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Georgia Ports Authority

Pros

Very stable, decent wages & benefits

Cons

Grossly outdated & cumbersome systems, lots of management but little leadership, resistance to change & innovation, little diversity, rampant nepotism, directors live in ivory tower & have little regard for employees.

Open your eyes, ears & minds. Do something to inspire loyalty rather than relying on a dismal job market to keep employees trapped.

Disappointing

I have been working at Georgia Ports Authority

Pros

Good pay and benefits in a down economy.

Cons

Sweatshop environment with long hours, little room for advancement and no motivation to do a good job. Senior management has no regard for employees, only concern is getting the job done for self advancement. No leadership at the top.

Get a clue. It’s not all about containers through the gate. We are people with families to support just like you. We don’t want more than our share, we just want to be treated fairly and equally across the board. Senior Management created this environment and they are the only ones that can fix it.