Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Georgia Tech President Bud Peterson

Bud Peterson

Pros
  • Flexible hours and work environment enables a good work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Great work environment with some very talented and interesting people(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work/life balance but it could definitely be worse and you have to be fine living in Atlanta(in 6 reviews)

• I've heard still no raises yet parking costs and benefits have increased(in 8 reviews)

263 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Student Assistant

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe work was easy and you were able to do school work at the same time. Getting hired simply depends on your likability with the boss.

ConsWaking up for 8 am shifts was a bit difficult. Sometimes cleaning up after meetings was a bit annoying, but fine since you got to eat the food.

PhD in School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexible hours
    Great training
    Resources
    Collaboration
    Students and faculty down to earth

ConsPay
    Politics
    Some advisors are not the best

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Graduate Research Assistant

Gradua (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAble to participate in advanced scientific research. Nice campus. Strong reputation in undergraduate and graduate studies. Full tuition for graduate research assistants.

ConsHigh student fees are levied every semester on GRAs, even when no classes are taken. High athletic fee that goes to support the varsity sports teams, which may not be of interest to some students. This fee was increased the year GT fired their football coach, who had 4 years and $4 million remaining on his contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop collecting usurious fees from graduate students who are living on small stipends.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wish PhD students have only do research to get paid.

Research & Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Proslot of collaboration opportunities, it is pretty competitive in all fields of academic life which keeps you motivated, many facilities for doing research, environment is supportive in few ways,

Consthere is limited financial support available. No raise in most cases even after number of years of work in the same position with performance.

Advice to Senior Managementadmitting someone in research position has some form of responsibility on management as well, that they have to ensure that sufficient funds are available to support the PHD research of the student. rather not admit him at all at the first place.

Retail Services

Mid Level Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood Work and Life Balance

ConsBureaucratic Nightmare. Too many redundant procedures and people.

Graduate work worth the effort in the end when you graduate.

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe secretaries, department heads and students are all extremely helpful. The research you work on is extremely interesting. The name on your resume causes companies to be interested in you if you have a well written resume.

ConsThe pay is too low for the city of Atlanta. I realize we are grad students but 22K/year is in the poor level. Additionally a lot of that pay goes to extra fees. You work extremely long hours (14+hours/day, did 18 at one point) as a graduate research assistant. There is no planned vacation days although technically you are allowed two weeks off which I have never seen occur. Finding / communicating with bosses can be difficult which sometimes leads to massive project slowdown.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to have a well defined vacation policy for graduate research assistants. Increase pay or improve benefits.

Great for new grads, not much more

Digital Projects Specialist I (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLearn the ropes of working in the university system.

ConsYou're working for the government, don't expect advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the office more like a business, less like a charity.

Graduate Researcher at Georgia Tech

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood facilities,expert Professors,green campus,lots of recreational activities.

ConsNo hierarchy,no concept of work-life balance,Foreign nationals run risk of being "exploited",start-up culture can result in student's research being commercially sold for no benefit for the student "reserachers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish good hierarchy,advice foreign nationals beforehand if project requires US citizenship or any sort of clearance.

Considerate Management in Student Center

Student Center Student Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNice full time as well as part time staff, reasonable pay increases for part time students, understanding of work vs school balance

ConsOccasionally turn a blind eye to other student employees not working their share, low hourly wages in the student center compared to other areas on campus

Math TA

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBeing a teaching assistant was a great experience. I highly recommend it to anyone who is good at math and likes to teach. The pay is very good considering how easy it is to fit into your schedule - it's basically just like taking another class.

ConsSome professors may not communicate with the TAs sufficiently, making your job more difficult. Grading papers is a boring but necessary part of the job.

Worked for Georgia Tech? Contribute to the Community!