Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Georgia Tech President Bud Peterson

Bud Peterson

Pros
  • Flexible hours and work environment enables a good work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Great work environment with some very talented and interesting people(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work/life balance but it could definitely be worse and you have to be fine living in Atlanta(in 6 reviews)

• I've heard still no raises yet parking costs and benefits have increased(in 8 reviews)

Interesting work with flexible hours

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsDepending on the lab, remote work is possible and autonomy is granted. Coworkers are agreeable and pleasant, and HR is fine. The work is interesting, and resources are available for the projects.

ConsThe buildings could use some updating. Sometimes the computers freeze up. Pay was a bit low considering the quality of the work.

Georgia Tech is an excellent place for research

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGeorgia Tech has a very good name among the research institutes. You can be expose to cutting-edge research in Georgia Tech. The school has many kinds of fund to support your research activities, such as comference, start-up.

ConsIt is kind of competitive. In Georgia Tech you are working on the hottest topic in the world, you have to work hard to be the leader in your area.

Advice to Senior ManagementTech really need to imrove their building facilities. The air conditioner in my office is horrible.

Earning while learning, its awesome!

ProsSome of the best research is being done here

ConsNone that I can think of.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsExcellent research opportunites, supportive advisors.

ConsLong hours, but nothing less than you would expect from a top graduate program

Georgia tech is the #6 department for artificial intelligence.

ProsTop professors. great classes. lots of cool students.

Consnone in particular, but salary could be higher.

Good academic atmosphere

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEasy to find collaboration, and friendly colleagues.

ConsToo much bureaucracy, and the admin people can be very slow.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Teaching Assistant

ProsGood professor. Helpful content in class and work.

ConsSometimes the work experience differ from different professors.

Caring group of people looking to help the kids

Tutor (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAs an All Kids Count tutor, you are told upfront and reminded over and over that it is all about the kids, which I found very reassuring since I'm so used to tutoring gigs being more about just an 'easy' after school job.
    You create your own schedule and are paid higher than other tutors on campus.

ConsThere really weren't any cons. I loved it!

Good but need some minor fixes

ProsAccepted for PhD, and good in terms of education but some professors needs to leave.

ConsWas contacted by a professor even before learned that I will receive acceptance and he wanted to work with me. Then I started working with him but fired me after first 5 month without any warning or whatsoever. He was running out of funding and wanted me to look for another adviser. Although there were 8-10 professor working in my area due to bad timing next years students were already offered acceptance and when one professor fires others do not want to work with you. I had to switch to another area which caused me to loose all my desire to do PhD.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that once a student is accepted help them to stay in same area and do not let them fear for loosing funding.

Pays tuition but slows research

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWorking at Georgia Tech as a teaching assistant is a comfortable job which covers tuition (not all fees), which generally requires less than the contract's 13 hours per week. Professors in the Industrial and Systems Engineering department are generally able to accommodate research and study needs. The students you get to teach are absolutely brilliant.

ConsClass sizes are very large, and so the work load can spike during periods where homework and exams line up. The workload model seems to be shifting more responsibility with no shift in pay, so the deal is becoming worse for time. I am under the impression that Georgia Tech's Industrial and Systems Engineering department pays sub par with our high-end engineering schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more closely with student advisers to ensure they are not over reliant on teaching assistant support. Professors should feel obligated to seek out research funding for their students.

Worked for Georgia Tech? Contribute to the Community!