Georgia Tech Research Institute

www.gtri.gatech.edu

Georgia Tech Research Institute Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Georgia Tech Research Institute – Atlanta – “Centennial Research Building - Main Campus”

Georgia Tech Research Institute Vice President of Georgia Tech and Director - GTRI Dr. Robert T. McGrath

Dr. Robert T. McGrath

Pros
  • Management honors maintaining work life balance(in 4 reviews)

• variety of projects (defense, transportation, agriculture, etc(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • When the going was good with DoD contracts, hired lot of people(in 2 reviews)

• If you are not doing research (support functions), there is a general lack of motivation(in 2 reviews)

salaries

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat if you are research titled

Consnot great if you are staff

Good combo of academic environment with applied research 'company' doing interesting work.

Pre (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOutstanding education benefits, good vacation & sick leave policy, solid compensation for those with Masters and PhD degrees, overall very entrepreneurial environment (especially considering a 1500+ person organization), chance to often do meaningful work that makes a difference in the state/country/world, most staff are technology focused and thus offer interesting opportunities for peer collaboration with talented individuals.

ConsLimited upward mobility once you've become a mid-level manager or Principal technical person.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to embrace entrepreneurial spirit and listen to the senior- and principal-level research staff who know sponsors the best and work with them the most.

co-op

ProsEveryone is really friendly and wanting to show you how things here are done. They have plenty of people here with years of experience and knowledge that are willing to teach you if you are willing to learn.

ConsWaiting on the security clearance. Unfortunately it takes a while due to the number of applicants vs. the number of investigators.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very High level research

ProsWonderful place to to have a career

ConsNot much negative to say

Convenient, Interesting, but poor pay for "Student Assistants"

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsInteresting projects
    Student Assistants actually do real work
    On campus, easy for students
    Very lenient with Student Assistants with regards to needing time to focus on school, etc.

ConsDue to board of regent's policy, GTRI is not allowed to pay CS "Student Assistants" (read: Interns that actually do real work) more than a set amount, which is quite low for CS interns

Good if You're Weird

Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe people in my department were not outgoing and the work was not interesting for a co-op. I recommend this job only if you are interested in doing research deeply in a particular area of study or if you'd like to teach in the future.

ConsThe culture was lacking and there is little collaboration. The co-op program was not one that allows you to get good experience in variety of areas, which would be preferred.

Okay, too researchy

Intern (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you love research and love introverted people

ConsEngineers are very introverted, and they abuse interns

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the interns and make sure they are treated well

GTRI is an awesome place to work.

Co-Op (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat work life balance. Tuition reimbursement. Family oriented company sponsored events. Very flexible work schedule. Weekends off. Challenging work. Low stress environment. Access to top notch lab equipment.

ConsI can only think of one con to associate with Georgia Tech Research Institute which is you can get paid more in private industry. That is not to say that the pay isn't good, because the pay is competitive and market driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

AWESOME!!!!

Research Technologist I (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAWESOME atmosphere! GTRI (and ELSYS especially) is a wonderful place.
    Challenging and rewarding work
    Work-life balance is fantastic
    Career/professional growth and development

ConsNone that I can think of (except maybe pay, but I'd rather work somewhere and be appreciated than work somewhere making more $$ and feel like a slave/not appreciated)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the fantastic professional development opportunities, continue to recruit outgoing but intelligent employees. Work-life balance is great - don't change that!

Great and encouraging work environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros+ Tuition reimbursement for Georgia Tech degrees
    + Great work environment
    + Friendly coworkers
    + Flexible work schedule

Cons- Making sure the work truly aligns with your wishes. There's a ton of projects able to be worked on, but be able to say no to avoid things you might not like and work on things that align with your passion.

Worked for Georgia Tech Research Institute? Contribute to the Community!