Georgia Tech Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
4.1

Georgia Tech President Bud Peterson
Bud Peterson

Pros
  • smart co-workers, knowledgeable advisor, good work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Great work environment with some very talented and interesting people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work/life balance but it could definitely be worse and you have to be fine living in Atlanta (in 8 reviews)

• I've heard still no raises yet parking costs and benefits have increased (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits but can be a negative work environment

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really enjoyed the retirement benefits and healthcare was also not bad. Somewhat flexible with regards to working hours when working in the labs. Salary seemed fair (but not great). Great resources for anyone wanting to do research.

Cons

When I had trouble with my boss, HR was very unresponsive to my concerns. I'm not one to complain unless really necessary, so I felt disappointed that no one seemed to care about my issue.

Graduate Researcher at Georgia Tech

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good facilities,expert Professors,green campus,lots of recreational activities.

Cons

No hierarchy,no concept of work-life balance,Foreign nationals run risk of being "exploited",start-up culture can result in student's research being commercially sold for no benefit for the student "reserachers.

Establish good hierarchy,advice foreign nationals beforehand if project requires US citizenship or any sort of clearance.

Wish PhD students have only do research to get paid.

Current Employee - Research & Teaching Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research & Teaching Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

lot of collaboration opportunities, it is pretty competitive in all fields of academic life which keeps you motivated, many facilities for doing research, environment is supportive in few ways,

Cons

there is limited financial support available. No raise in most cases even after number of years of work in the same position with performance.

admitting someone in research position has some form of responsibility on management as well, that they have to ensure that sufficient funds are available to support the PHD research of the student. rather not admit him at all at the first place.

Considerate Management in Student Center

Former Employee - Student Center Student Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Student Center Student Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Tech part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice full time as well as part time staff, reasonable pay increases for part time students, understanding of work vs school balance

Cons

Occasionally turn a blind eye to other student employees not working their share, low hourly wages in the student center compared to other areas on campus

Math TA

Former Employee - Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Tech part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a teaching assistant was a great experience. I highly recommend it to anyone who is good at math and likes to teach. The pay is very good considering how easy it is to fit into your schedule - it's basically just like taking another class.

Cons

Some professors may not communicate with the TAs sufficiently, making your job more difficult. Grading papers is a boring but necessary part of the job.

Teaching Assistant in BME

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being a Teaching Assistant was a great experience. I got to help my fellow students learn challenging material and I reinforced my own knowledge. I also got to connect and network with the professors I worked for.

Cons

No real complaints. Sometimes you have to get things like tests, quizzes, homework graded by a certain dead line, but if you manage your time well, it is doable.

Great place to research

I worked at Georgia Tech

Pros

Helpful in teaching new subjects related to the research. Weekly meetings to review progress.

Cons

Not enough subject work for undergraduates.

Great University strong graduate programs....tough to find jobs in the area

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great education, great value. Good people senior people to learn from and strong colleagues.

Cons

Atlanta (and most of the south) has CS and bio tech jobs and not much more

Some good and some bad...depends on where you land

Former Employee - Senior Professional
    Former Employee - Senior Professional

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an employee GA Tech's academic side is great to work for. There is a lot of excitement, talent, and funds to keep life exciting. The campus is beautiful and generally the other staff are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

The business side of Tech is a bit different. The various business units operate as individual entities, and the bottom line is everything. Devisions such as OIT continually get stuck in red tape and politics, consistantly getting mired down and not accomplishing goals. Unfortunately there are also many employees...legacy employees...that will not grow into the present, relying heavily on the 'old way' of doing things. If you get stuck in one such department you will spend much of your time trying to determine why things have to be so complicated. Also as a state institue the budgets are directly effected by Georgia's state budgets. For the last three years I was there employees did not receive annual merit raises, yet tuition continued to increase annually. Regardless of status (hourly and salaried) Tech is very stingy with vacation/paid time off and sick leave as if it were a personal affront.

Grow up, put your big boy pants on, and get it done. In other words, just do what has to be done, including letting go of dated staff, modernizing processes, and taking GA Tech to a higher level.

N.F.L (Not For Long), come here to further your education

I have been working at Georgia Tech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generous Tuition Assistance for University System of Georgia Schools (TAP) or out-of-state schools (STRAP)
    Higher education environment
    Able to talk to management and senior management about issues or ideas

Cons

Unprofessional co-workers
    Weak middle management
    Lack of growth within department
    Pay is abysmal for such a well endowed institution in the heart of Midtown (1% merit raise only for 15% of state employees)

President Peterson is great! Middle management...not so much