Geosearch Logging Reviews

Joe Struckel

1. Geosearch/ Empirica/ ALS Empirica Oil & Gas

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

I worked at Geosearch Logging (More than 3 years)

Pros

The coworkers and my supervisor were all amazing. This was by far the best group I've ever worked with. I was able to advance and grow in my career with this position. I am thankful for that opportunity.

Cons

The sale of the company twice took it's toll on the office staff and the change in management was difficult at times. Eventually our department was shut down and moved to Corporate. If it weren't for that I would still be here.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have to offer is that your employees make up your company. They should be recognized as such. I think that tends to get lost sometimes as we grow in size.

2. Well site Geologist.

Former Employee - Well Site Geologist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Well Site Geologist in Denver, CO

I worked at Geosearch Logging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work throughout country. Empirica is a large company with financial backing.

Cons

No employee- company interaction. Many lies to keep you hanging. They claim they care about safety but the dollars are all they care about. I was put in a dangerous totally unsafe position and when I tried to get it corrected they replaced me witout even a phone call (1000 miles from my home). They aimed my taxes at a state I have never even stepped a foot in.They are known to not pay last checks.Took 401k out but I have never seen a statement. When it is slow they don't care if you work or not but will cut off your insurance. All employees are treated the same. No experience or many years of experience and degrees does not make a difference. They just brag on unproven technology. They will leave you hanging in a heartbeat. I was hanging without work for months. I agreed to work were I previously have worked until work picked up, I was emailed later and told this was my home base without even a discussion. 1000 miles away from my home. Rig broke down and i was hanging without pay for over a month.

Advice to Management

Share your decisions with the employee. Have courtesy to contact employees before decisions are made. Understand where the employee comes from. Quit treating employees with complete disrespect.

3. Empirica is a great company to work for!

I have been working at Geosearch Logging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Geosearch was bought out in October 2011 by Empirica. It's a solid company with good benefits and great people!

Cons

Workload can get heavy at times but that can happen anywhere.

5. Geosearch is a great company to work for. Good benefits, great supervisors.

Former Employee - Mudlogger
    Former Employee - Mudlogger

I worked at Geosearch Logging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors and they listen to suggestions you have to create a better workplace. If an emergency arises they try to work with you and the situation. The company cares about its employees.

Cons

A lot of work-12hr shifts..some rigs only 5days in between rig down and up again. It is a great work experience and the leads along with the supervisors are willing to help you learn and enable you to take on more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

6. Good place to start

Former Employee - Mudlogger in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Mudlogger in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Geosearch Logging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company housing, quick field support, great entry level experience to the industry if you are graduating with a B.S in Geology or equivalent

Cons

Low pay, long periods away from home (my longest was 5 months with zero down time), Non-degreed co-workers with very questionable practices and very little knowledge in all facets of Geology.

Advice to Management

Improve on/off rotations for workers in the field. More than two months without a day off is intollerable even by oilfield standards. Be "Managers" of your work force. Please! inforce random drug/alcohol testing and increase impromptu unit inspections. The ammount of complete negligence to equipment and duty by "certain" field employees is costing you money and contracts!

7. Incompetence abounds.

I have been working at Geosearch Logging

Pros

You get time off, sometimes a lot.

Cons

They don't care for or about the employees. Management will give you plenty of lip service to keep you happy, but won't ever deliver on their promises.

8. Now your foots in the door!

Former Employee - Lead Mud Logger in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Lead Mud Logger in Edmond, OK

I worked at Geosearch Logging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent wages(as far as mudlogging goes) New buy out from The resevoir group-Empirica has good promisses People are usually decent to work with They can ship you anywhere you really want to work in the south.

Cons

You might find yourself in a nowhere town with no money, no nothing, in a crappy hotel, working a rig 50+ miles away that you don't get paid gas for except once twice if you work the whole well.

Advice to Management

cough up some bucks for the field guys.

9. Decent job to get your foot in the door.

Current Employee - Mud Logger in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Mud Logger in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Geosearch Logging

Pros

It is a good entry level position to get your foot. It is beyond easy work and the money is "decent." I say it is decent because most days I would do 2-3 hours of real work and then just sit around monitoring equipment for the rest of my shift. So it is not horrible for how little you work. Work flexibility is pretty decent to what I have heard from the larger service companies.

Cons

On the flip side the money is not that great for the amount of hours you actually put in. Decent money for just getting out of school (If that applies to you) Not a true day rate like others have mentioned. You are on wage but the amount of money you can make per pay period is pretty much capped like a salary. Be weary of empty promises from managers and especially from the VP.

10. A company that is as equally dedicated to it's employees as it's employees are dedicated to it!

Current Employee - Geosteering Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Geosteering Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Geosearch Logging

Pros

Excellent benefits Always work to be done The largest company of it's kind in the US, allowing for experience in multiple natural gas / oil plays The company continues to grow and seems to only get better with time!

Cons

There can be extended periods of time where you are 'stuck' on location. However, in the oilfield, regardless of your position this is always par for the course.

Advice to Management

Every employee within the company has different skills other than the basic logging / geosteering training. I would suggest finding those employees with very unique and over-the-top talents and utilize them to the advantage of the company.

Terrible, severally underpaid, joke!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Geosearch Logging

Pros

Getting to meet other people on location.

Cons

Pay Sucks. Shaft you on a hourly paid system ie no true day rate. No base salary. No Company Truck or Vehicle Allowance to own personal. Vacation time is a joke. based it on 40hrs worked but you truely work 84 hrs on weekly basis. but vacation based on 40 hrs pay.

Advice to Management

Take care of employees, pay them more stop being greedy and keeping all the profits. Give people incentive to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed