Geoservices Reviews

CEO

1. Good Way To Get A Foot In The Door

Former Employee - Offshore Field Specialist in Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Offshore Field Specialist in Kingwood, TX

I worked at Geoservices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy hire at entry level with no experience. Decent pay at entry level.

Cons

Pay does not accurately reflect advancement and increase responsibility. Other companies pay much better at senior positions. No job security during down times.

Advice to Management

Pay better at the senior levels if yu want to hold on to knowledgeable people.

2. I'm just doing my time

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Geoservices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good stepping stone, I've met some really awesome people, the schedule has been better, ample opportunities for advancement. This segment could be brilliant with the right people in place but so far its lackluster.

Cons

Salary low for the industry, management very disorganized, time off isn't your time off, vacation is hardly ever approved, I often feel like this company thinks they own my soul because they pay me a salary and doesn't condone me living a personal life

Advice to Management

Step it up, get on the same page, stop treating people substandard and they might stay longer than a year or two, pay better, stop with the 401k partial vesting timelines if you want to say you match a percentage to get people to invest it shouldn't come with a stipulation of years, the moving allowance is just a con to get you to stay a year

Self-centered management leads to lack of organization.

Former Employee - Field Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Geoservices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to advance, great exposure to the industry and a chance to bond with colleagues.

Cons

Unfulfilled promises regarding schedules and assignments, a carousel of supervisors (I had 5 in a 6 month period), management will communicate with you on an 'as-needed' basis. Little personal regard for employees. Noncompetitive pay.

Advice to Management

Bring in actual Schlumberger management- the team you have now is garbage. Pay your field employees better - everyone else on the rig is making significantly more (even those without a college degree).

Basically a stepping stone

Current Employee - Field Specialist
    Current Employee - Field Specialist

I have been working at Geoservices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can get into training, and if you're really lucky you'll go overseas for training. Working with people from other countries is nice. Having Geoservices on your resume looks good. Basically it's a good stepping stone job.

Cons

Even though you can get training, it can be a huge joke. The managers have no idea what they are doing, and don't care about the field specialists' needs. Time off can range from a lot to never (basically you have no schedule). The salary is a super low for offshore work and even if you get a raise it's not much.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management because we have all told them the problems and they won't listen.

6. good

I have been working at Geoservices full-time

Pros

good for starting out in oil field

Cons

not so good for planning social life

Work good, management sucks

I have been working at Geoservices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is good, you get to be on some of the premier rigs and drill ships in the gulf.

Cons

Management lies to your face. Repeatedly. There's no real advancement, no pay raise in two years. They don't support you well in the field, you're essentially on your own

Advice to Management

Listen to the field guys, pay us more than the accomadations people on the rig.

Don't do it

Current Employee - Mud Logger in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mud Logger in Houston, TX

I have been working at Geoservices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for my resume

Cons

They are unorganized and don't care about their employees. The pay is low. They tell you about all the possible job opportunities, but they are not really there.

They leave money off of your paycheck and try to screw you, so you have to keep track of everything and make sure they give you what is owed.

Thier policies are always changing and they may promise something one month and then take it away the next.

While working a rotation on the rig, you work 3 or 4 weeks on, but your time off you are still on call. Even on your time off the rig you have to take vacation time if you want to leave Houston. Your time off is not your time off.

They offer you moving expenses and a signing bonus, then you are stuck there for a year or you have to pay it back. Beware.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

Good starter job, poor management

I have been working at Geoservices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to get started in the energy industry. Enough money (if you get stable work) to pay off your bills and save a little. You will learn a lot about how to drill a well. Make many connections with other O&G professionals. Good health and retirement benefits.

Cons

Accept that your schedule will be unpredictable. You would think that management and office staff would do their best to mitigate this, but they don't. As a field employee, you will not be valued. You will be taken for granted and when things go wrong, you will end up bearing all of the responsibility, regardless of who was truly to blame. Maintenance of the equipment is tiresome because it is often broken. You could end up sitting at home for months and months, not working in the field -- it's impossible to stay alive on this pay. On the flip side, you could end up working non-stop and never get a break. During your 'time off', you're expected to go into the office, usually never doing anything important or useful while there. There's a reason that the nickname for this company is "Geocircus".

Advice to Management

Value your field employees. They are the life and blood of the organization. Without them, you wouldn't have a job.

Take time to listen to your employees' concerns. Make an effort "stay in the loop".

no organization

I have been working at Geoservices

Pros

enjoy working with my coworkers

Cons

no schedule, low pay, management inexperience and unorganized

Data Engineer

Former Employee - Data Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Data Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Geoservices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work, lots of travel

Cons

Don't expect them to keep a schedule, you have to fight for your pay raises to go through. They try to give you a fancy title and more responsibility without increasing pay.

Advice to Management

Field employee's are why the company is there. If you don't treat them respectfully then they will leave and once they are all gone there is no reason to keep you around, it's job security to keep your employees happy.

RSS Feed </> Embed