Geosyntec Consultants

Be The First To
Add Photos

Geosyntec Consultants President and CEO Rudy Bonaparte

Rudy Bonaparte

Geosyntec stands out above the rest.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company, great people. It is one of the best environmental consultancies.

ConsExpect to work hard- but that's not really a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

"Mentored" right out the door

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsI was hired along with a few other people my age, which was good for a fun office environment.

I was able to learn a lot of field sampling procedures and see a variety of projects.

ConsWhen things went badly, junior staff was blamed about 90% of the time. Staff is required to travel for weeks/months at a time with little opportunity to visit home, even during the holidays due to "cost" even though the company makes a killing on away-from-home projects due to high billable hours. If you are single and don't have a family, be prepared to take the brunt of the on the road travel time, instead of sharing the load with other mid-level staff.

In general, I found there was little work-life balance, especially for younger staff and stepping over your co-workers to get ahead was the norm. It was so easy to go behind someone's back to get ahead that everyone did it. There was a mentorship program, but I later found out that my mentor knew my job was in trouble and did nothing to help or save me.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to pass on your knowledge to the younger staff, otherwise we become pretty useless and unhelpful. It may be painful at first, but it's worth it in the long-term. Much of the mid to high level staff, especially engineers, have problems effectively communicating what they want out of the junior level staff. When there's an issue, don't let it go until their performance review 6 mos. later - tell them at that time so they can fix it immediately.

World Class Environmental Consulting

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBrilliant Co-Workers
    Fun place to work
    Interesting Projects - Lots of good long term sediment remediation projects to work on
    Very open and honest management structure
    Excellent bonus potential for all employees - not just senior staff
    Good work life balance
    REally progressive benefits

ConsNothing comes to mind - i have been very happy. Would like to have PTO program adopted - i think this will happen in next few years

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider going to a PTO program

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great firm to work for

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsVery dynamic and entrepreneurial firm. Very exciting and fun place to work, interesting projects, intellectual challenges etc. The company values work-life balance. Good work is rewarded. Encourages personal and professional growth.

ConsTime-off policies are reasonable but not very flexible.

Recent Environmental Science Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pensacola, FL

ProsThe people I worked with were eager to help me get the most out of my internship.

ConsMore of a con of my internship than Geosyntec Consultants, I would have liked to get more field work in and less time with technical report writing and editing.

Great Company

ProsThere is a emphasis on growing employees

ConsI have no real complaints

Great first job in terms of professional growth, pay

ProsMany experts at firm, it is growing rapidly in practice areas and size each year

ConsWork life balance can be difficult to maintain

You Take The Good, You Take The Bad, And There You Have ...

ProsGrowing company and the leadership actively encourages new ideas and collaboration

ConsMost offices have small teams -- so, hope you get along with your co-workers!

Very talented and experience company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsI work with some of the top minds in the field of engineering. This company seeks innovative solutions to highly technical problems, the forefront of the industry.

ConsVery collegial atmosphere sometime hampers the business aspect of project management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it is not bad to embrace a more structured atmosphere.

Needs to apply the same innovation towards projects to their business plan

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHard working and talented staff

Conslittle company wide collaboration and utilization of resources

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate younger staff ideas into strategies on how to pursue new work

Worked for Geosyntec Consultants? Contribute to the Community!