Gepik

Gepik Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Easy but Unstable

I have been working at Gepik full-time

ProsNot a hard job. The benefits are good and given the cost of living, it's easy to save money. Your job satisfaction will depend on your school and your attitude. Lots of vacation time during the winter and summer break. Finish work everyday at 4:40

ConsVery unstable job. Schools are getting their funding cut left and right. The overall program is a little unorganized and an your workload/job description will really depend on the school where you teach.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the program and insure uniform application across schools. Otherwise, change your mission statement.

Not for the faint of heart

Native English Teacher (Current Employee)
Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

I have been working at Gepik as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood vacation time
Downtime for personal study/improvement during desk-warming time

ConsLack of communication between school, teachers, and the GEPIK program
Having to fight to get benefits as promised in contract
Unnecessary desk-warming at times

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more clear about what you expect from teachers and what teachers should expect from you. If you give them a vague contract then don't be surprised when teachers try to interpret it a different way than what you imagined it. Give teachers the opportunity to opt out of desk-warming time for unpaid vacation if they want it. Mirror other public school programs and have an across-the-board policy regarding vacation, flights, apartments, teaching hours, etc.

Great idea, poor execution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Yongin, Kyonggi (South Korea)

I worked at Gepik full-time for more than a year

ProsGovernment backing, standardized benefits for native English teachers, some training, clear indication of primary contact for each native teacher. The annual training provided to first-time teachers was moderately useful and was a good point of contact for meeting other teachers and comparing school situations.

ConsProblems took forever to solve, if they were solved at all. The individual Gepik coordinators weren't unkind, but they were overworked, underpaid, under-trained, and more interested in supporting the Korean co-teachers than they were in assisting the native English teachers. The program was obviously not well-implemented, as it's now extinct.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your lower-level people. Your junior employees (coordinators) are the ones who should be able to understand that native teachers and co-teachers are overwhelmed by one another's foreign-ness. They should be able to empathize, isolate conflict points, and implement creative solutions.

okay

I worked at Gepik full-time

Pros-Good hours
-Free housing
-Free round-trip ticket
-Friendly co-workers
-Good opportunity to work abroad

Cons-No training given
-Contract job
-Position availability depends on funding from a city hall; if the school does not get funding your school can cancel your contract no matter how well you are teaching.
-unorganized program

GEPIK good opportunity, but very unorganized

Middle School Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gepik

ProsGood pay, good vacation and housing.

ConsUnreliable and unorganized. Poor communication.

good

I have been working at Gepik

Prosgreat job if you want to work abroad and experience something new. great vacation days which allows you to travel to many different countries.

Consthe work environment is mediocre. 9/10 times you will be the only foreign teacher so not a great social life.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like it if there was better communication from the school staff with the teachers. have specific deadlines instead of last minute changes

Chance to Work Abroad and Have a New Experience

I have been working at Gepik

Pros-Working with students has been worthwhile, the kind co-workers I've met, salary is stable and for the most part on-time, experiencing a new culture and workplace. Apartment is paid for and there's little financial stress, vacation and holidays are aplenty. Good for a gap year or someone who wants to travel the world while getting paid.

ConsNo career advancement, not a resume builder, important details, deadlines and meetings are told at the last possible moment, change in your schedule frequent, your relationship with your co-teacher can make or break your workplace satisfaction, no recourse if things go awry. You have to get back to your real life in your home country eventually.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter support for teacher's complaints and grievances, better organization, and training for first time ESL teachers.

Teach at GEPIK?

I worked at Gepik

ProsIt's overall a good place to work. They accept anyone that meets the basic qualifications (English speaker from one of seven countries), for good and bad, and free apartments are included in the position (less utilities). Your experience may vary *widely* based on the year, school, and principal/co-teacher(s) at the time. As management changes frequently, blacklists and other reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. No Saturday work, decent pay. Can be a pro or con, but little supervision on lesson plans (at my school) allows you freedom to try many different things at tailor the curriculum/lesson of the day to your liking.

ConsAt my school, little to no help with adapting to the culture/job, minimal training given. There was significant black mold in my apartment, but your experience may vary considerably. Get photos of the apartment (showing everything) if at all possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere do I start? The whole program is poorly planned from the top and incredibly disorganized. Communicate with your teachers, and make your Native English Teachers a part of your faculty. Don't tell them things with little or notice if at all possible, and allow them to keep their seniority if renewing for another year at a school within GEPIK. Keep in mind that many teachers coming over have little/no teaching experience, and will need some guidance making lesson plans. Above all, give teachers authority to adjust grades (even just 10%) or other ways (detention?) to control classroom management. [Note that this does not mean give them the ability to send them to the PE teacher's office to get beat. That's not good for children, and regardless it doesn't correct behavior.] Teachers shouldn't have to spend 1/4 of their salary on giving candy as a reward (with diminishing results).

Great job, couldnt be a career

English Teacher (Current Employee)
Suwŏn, Kyonggi (South Korea)

I have been working at Gepik

Pros-Lots of money for not a lot of work
-Great coworkers
-Lots of support from coworkers
-Mostly friendly and positive working environment
-Lots of vacation in addition to natioal holidays
-Good working hours
-Free housing
-Easy and fast work commute

Cons-No long term security, as contracts are only negotiated on a year to year basis
-Appears to be zero opportunity for promotion or advancement
-Can be monotonous and unchallenging

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Gepik? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gepik reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Gepik employees.