Gerber Ambulance

Robert Gerber

Not worth it

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Torrance, CA

I worked at Gerber Ambulance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience at night, easy to get the job.

Cons

It's High School all over again. Favoritism. Night shift workers doesn't get any praise for all the crazy calls they get. Daytime workers get all the downtime and rest they want. They eat and BBQ all day and sleep. Nightshift workers like me are losing motivation and compassion by the hour. You won't even like going to work anymore. "They" won't talk to you unless you're "cool" or a female.

There's always +10 people inside dispatch and very few rigs out in the field. Get rid of the clowns and some supervisors.

Not pleasant.

I worked at Gerber Ambulance

Pros

Some of the coworkers I had were nice to work with. We bonded by talking about the poor management of the company. If I were you, I'd try to get hired at McCormick or AMR or anywhere but here that does 911 calls.

Cons

The poor management. HR is absolutely horrible. They didnt even go to college so I dont know what they are doing running a company. And unless you are dating someone high up, you wont get promoted.

Hire better leaders.

Horrible Management

Current Employee - EMT-basic Field Supervisor in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Gerber Ambulance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good amount of 911 experience, Easy shifts, good schedule for students,

Cons

management is horrible, no PTO, no perks, owner doesn't give Christmas gift,

replace yourself

Unless you live in Torrance don't work here

Current Employee - EMT-basic Field Supervisor in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Gerber Ambulance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are great and mostly all get along with one another. We run 911 with Torrance fire which was a great experience and helped build my skills.

Cons

Worst company to work for. You do not get any vacation time, sick days, or holiday pay. Doesn't matter how long you're with the company you will never get a raise and the pay is horrible. Management treats employees with no respect. Instead of helping those in need they would rather just replace you. Also you sit in the ambulance the whole 12 hours of the day posting at Parks and malls waiting to get calls. When hired you recieve old worn down uniforms that are faded and look trashy. You do not get a badge or pager (you will be lucky to even get a bag to put belongings in). Overall this company is going downhill and they are losing contracts everyday. Been with them over two years and it wasn't because of choice I really needed the job and experience. For those future emts DO NOT go to Gerber! You will leave disappointed and dissatisfied with the company and their policies.

Fire everyone and start from the ground up. Not one person can functionally handle their job without someone else helping them. Business first, friendship after.

Better Than Other Ambulance Companies I Have Worked For.

Former Employee - EMT-basic Field Supervisor in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-basic Field Supervisor in Torrance, CA

I worked at Gerber Ambulance

Pros

I have worked at a couple other companies and Gerber was the first to have an orientation process which they call "Boot Camp" and I think it helps a lot for people who are new to EMS. Also, the class gives you the continuing education hours your need to recert. They were also able to take care of my skills test.

It is really easy to pick up overtime hours, which is how you make money in this field. Everyone knows that working on a private ambulance does not pay well, but at some companies it is really hard to get overtime. Just the same, it is usually pretty easy to get your shifts covered if you need time off.

They also have a lot of nice new ambulances and equipment. The other companies I worked at did not have any ambulances or gurneys that were as nice and new as what we had at Gerber.

I will reapply when I am done with medic school.

Cons

If you have a question for hr, sometimes they are slow to respond or you don't hear anything back. But when that happens, you can always ask a supervisor or someone else to follow up.

Also, the hiring process was a little drawn out. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the job and the recruiter was not clear about what I needed to do. In the end it was worth the effort.

It would be nice to have more recognition for when we do a good job. Maybe an "employee of the month" would work.

Loved the job, Hate the company.

Former Employee - EMT-Basic CCEMT/FIELD SUPERVISOR in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic CCEMT/FIELD SUPERVISOR in Torrance, CA

I worked at Gerber Ambulance

Pros

Its definitely a valuable experience with Emergency services, and you are doing good work for the community. The fellow employees are all mostly plesant and middle management/ supervisor staff is usually all very supportive.

Cons

The management staff is somehow all related one way or another.
    Management is slow to respond to employee queries and requests- or flat out ignores them.
    Management will unilaterally change your schedule without prior agreement or proper notification.
    Pay is NOT good and sometimes during recruitment they mislead the newhires about the pay.
    Treatment of employees are not all equal- mandatory overtime is not mandatory for "everyone"
    Night shift employees do not recieve differential pay and have to attend "meetings' during daytime hours.
    Most Ambulances are rundown and you can expect to work in the older ambulances for a while as new hires.
    You will get sent to the station you don't usually work at- in your personal vehicle- and they don't compensate you for gas or time spent traveling.

Treating the employees with the notion that they are expendible does not promote healthy employee-employer relationships.

Answer phone calls and emails from employees in a timely manner. Address mechanical issues in a timely manner.