Gerdau Long Steel North America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gerdau Long Steel North America President Guilherme Gerdau Johannpeter

Guilherme Gerdau Johannpeter

Life changing,challenging, great place to start a new form of life, great team to work for.

I worked at Gerdau Long Steel North America

ProsGreat pay even just starting out. Safty meeting very helpful and knowledge.

ConsSwingshifts at times couldn't sleep well even on days off. Heat stressful in the summer. Poor ventilation. Too many chiefs not enough Indians.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more compelling on a one to one basis not just text book savy.

Good starting job for college student

Rebar Detailer (Former Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Gerdau Long Steel North America full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent hourly wages for non-degreed employees, tuition reimbursement

ConsDownsized engineering to send work overseas

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek to promote from within, identify talented and motivated individuals and

Paralysis by analysis of pointless data

Improvement Facilitator II (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Gerdau Long Steel North America full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefit package is comparable to other steel companies.

ConsI was supposedly hired as a mechanical engineer but I am spending all of my time doing silly business system initiatives. There is no end to the different programs that have absolutely nothing to do with running steel. Good engineers rarely make it for two years and people who can't do anything useful jump on board with both feet.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some leaders who actually know something about making steel instead of creating foolish initiatives to justify their existence. The overhead of managers who do nothing of any consequence is staggering.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally a good place to work

Engineer III (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits package, interesting projects, good work environment

ConsSAP, EPM, PRG; too many business, procurement, and project management systems to ever become proficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementRollout one system at a time - the back to back system rollouts prevent us from learning the software/processes completely and are generally demoralizing.

"Buyer" Beware

I worked at Gerdau Long Steel North America full-time for more than a year

ProsGood medical benefits package; decent benefits packages and relatively decent people depending on the site and team. Leaving to go home in the evenings.

ConsIf you are looking for a supply-chain position - RUN. EXPECTED to work from home and weekends after 10 hour days at work. Too policy-laden - reduces quality work, productivity and effectiveness. Egotistical, non-engaged management more concerned with "initiatives" and "the numbers" than processes that negatively impact the numbers or goals of initiative. Buyers responsible for AP, data master, vendor master, projects, HR initiatives and everything in between - little time left for true procurement activities like achieving savings, negotiating and expediting. Buyers are glorified baby sitters and task masters, way too much non-value added administration and correspondence-based activities. One buyer had nervous breakdown...I failed to mention that you are grossly underpaid for the time and effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue.. find out why you can't meet targets at the ground level. You can't bully your way to success. People have options. Make a case for US work practices and SOPs. KPIs will never be met with the number of constraints endured by highly competent and capable employees.

Lost sight of core business

I have been working at Gerdau Long Steel North America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFocus on safety and employee feedback, striving to always do better and improve.

ConsStretch employees way too thin, to many priorities, not enough resources to support the load. Promotions and career development reserved for a certain group

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on core business and what truly adds value, cut out useless initiatives and what will get the company back on track

Bureaucratic, micromanaged company that cannot make a decision

Account Specialist (Current Employee)
Midlothian, TX

I have been working at Gerdau Long Steel North America full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI really cannot think of any

ConsSAP is the software they converted to and has been a dumpster fire ever since

Loved my job at Gerdau! Extremely fulfilling business to work for and formed some lifelong relationships!

I worked at Gerdau Long Steel North America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, employees stay long term, large company with opportunities for advancement

ConsLots of system and upper management changes the last few years

Weak, and getting weaker.

Information Technology (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

ProsGood benefits with no vesting period.

ConsWeak management with little to no relevant experience, and poor decision making with no strategy or direction. 5 IT reorgs in 7 years clearly identifies the fact that IT mgmt. should be replaced. Senior staff make decisions, but are terminated when they become too 'noticeable' for their strong efforts as they are now a threat to the management (who don't really know what they're doing). Demand 100% commitment and loyalty, but give 0% back. They advertise 'hire to retire' and 'promote from within' - I challenge you to find anyone that has been promoted - this does NOT happen. Highest turnover I've ever seen, IT runs around 130%. Other depts. only concerned with hitting targets at all costs to get bonuses, which has decimated the company. Head office (Brazil) should completely take over the North America operations to correct the current downward slide,

Advice to Senior ManagementLot's, but you wouldn't understand it - best leave the decisions to Brazil.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Experience

Office Clerk (Former Employee)
Plant City, FL

I worked at Gerdau Long Steel North America full-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone was always willing to help me out while I was new, safety is a major concern as it should be.

ConsSome of the Salary employees that were only supposed to work 8 hour days ended up in the office for 10 or even 12 hour days when the plant was backed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I worked there they were undergoing a system change, the software was not 100% functioning when implemented so that caused a few issues.

Worked for Gerdau Long Steel North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gerdau Long Steel North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gerdau Long Steel North America CEO Guilherme Gerdau Johannpeter. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Gerdau Long Steel North America employees.