Gerdau

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gerdau President, CEO and Director André Bier Gerdau Johannpeter

André Bier Gerdau Johannpeter

Excellent opportunities, employees' safety is priority

Anonymous (Current Employee) Beaumont, TX

ProsCompany provides excellent opportunities to grow from within. Hourly employees generally start out as a laborer, but can quickly advance into other roles with higher pay. Monthly bonus is excellent, with targets very attainable, and often exceeded. Management pushes safety as top priority, with a good balance of production and EBITDA goals. Most people seem to work together very well, working as a team to reach targets. Excellent safety record, especially for the steel industry, going several months and some plants years without a lost time injury. Company awards employees for new ideas that improve processes or saves cost. Real feeling that when each employee succeeds, entire company succeeds.

I've worked for a few steel companies in my career, and this one is by far the better of them. Realize that production goals and the companies bottom line are just as important as safety, they go hand in hand. If you want a job where you can simply show up and get paid for doing nothing, this is not the company for you.

ConsPay lower than most petro/chem companies in the same area, so turnover can be a problem. Sometimes the drive for safety is not communicated well enough to hourly employees, giving the impression to some that production goals are more important. Typical issues working with various personalities and union environment, but better than most of the steel industry. Not sure all employees/union are onboard with company culture. Limited community involvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between supervisors and hourly employees. Find a way to get the union onboard and work together. Need to improve community involvement.

Great company with good benefits and friendly coworkers

ProsNice benefits package and opportunity to grow within the company.

ConsWork has can has it's lag time but that is the nature of the business for the majority of the time plenty of work to go around.

no advancement

Prosdealing with outside vendors was good

ConsFirst union job ever worked on, as a supervisor the union was not supportive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but need to replace management in the Vidor, Tx location.

Operator (Former Employee) Vidor, TX

ProsThe company has good monthly bonuses

ConsManagement in very narrow minded with one thing ...Production

Not a Employee Friendly Company, Petersburg Virginia Gerdau

Production Helper (Current Employee) Petersburg, VA

ProsGood bonus, Vacation is decent, they do have some nice benefits and you have the opportunity to meet some very hard workers and make some great friends.

ConsThe Gerdau Petersburg Virginia Plant care nothing of their employees, most managers are uneducated and very narrow minded. They have the belief, do as I say not as I do. Their Human Resource department is more like In Human Resource, they do not fight for the employees they work with the managers, who they socialize with. They do not listen to the production employees. All they want to do is look good to the community by signing up for all these community activities while treating their employees like crap. There has been many occasions of my years working here that I have seen of them actually violating employees rights.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think most of the managers should be looked at and those that lied on their application about their qualifications should be fired. Why not ask the employees who actually do the job what are the best changes that need to be made in their department instead of asking managers or facilitators, or office personal what they think should be done in their department and they do not know the employees jobs or how to do the job.

Great Benefits and Tough work

Production Helper (Former Employee) King George, VA

ProsSafety is #1. Great benefits

ConsHarsh work environment. Work is in a steel building with no A/C.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

This company will never make money in the U. S. A.

Reliability & Maintenance Engineering (Former Employee) Midlothian, TX

Prospay, benefits, co-workers, getting experience to work for a good company

ConsThis company treats you like dirt, you have no opinion that counts. Their attitude is,"if you don't like it, quit.. We have a line at the gate waiting to work."

Advice to Senior Managementquit now before before a disgruntled employee shows up.

Not good, you break your back while getting yelled at all day

Rodbuster (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsPay was okay but not enough in dealing with all the stress and pressure of Rebar work

ConsToo much pressure on making hour per ton, everybody hates working in the Rebar trade. I know this is a very negative review but that is my experience with this company and trade.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Have come a long way with this company.

ProsVery good pay and insurance for the areas. Numerous ways to get involved and help to change things.

ConsSupervisors(Facilitators) are still in the mix too much. You still place the outcome on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the yearly survey. Some people you will never make happy. As they get older and cycle themselves out the opinion survey will get better. We are in charge of our lines, we should be held accountable. Morning meetings with the Operators who run the lines. Let us explain what did or did not happen.Facilitators need to be in the support role. If there is a problem go to the person in charge of that area.

Over All It's not a bad place to work at.

Technician (Current Employee) Monroe, MI

ProsFriendly coworkers
    they really care for safety

Conscompensations not fair , bonus system is not fair at all

Advice to Senior Managementmore communication

Worked for Gerdau? Contribute to the Community!