Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews

Reset
3.7
Gerson Lehrman Group President and CEO Alexander Saint-Amand
Alexander Saint-Amand

Pros
  • The work-life balance is enviable (in 18 reviews)

• Fascinating work, super smart people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance was seriously lacking (in 6 reviews)

• lack of senior management leadership (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Learning, earning, and having fun

Current Employee - Vice President, Research in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Research in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

I came to GLG from a background as an equity analyst on both the buy-side and sell-side, and it has been without question the best job I've ever had. The people have the youth and energy of an investment bank, the diverse and impressive backgrounds of a management consultancy, and creativity of a start-up. Working at GLG in almost any role involves doing many different things, and it often feels almost like a video game managing work flow. I've heard it described as a place where people with "intellectual ADD" prosper, and I can see why someone would say that. The people you are exposed to are some of the best investors and most accomplished individuals in the world, and as a research professional you're constantly engaged in both the world and your work. It's very social, very engaging, and it usually involves enabling a win-win situation for important people. That feels good. Finally, I cannot overstate the impact of the New York office on my day to day happiness. I spend more waking hours here than at home, and if I had a billion dollars I'm not sure I could design a better working environment. Perfectly located across from Grand Central, beautifully laid out, lots of natural light (do not underestimate the importance of that!) and an "activity-based working" layout that I think has re-wired my brain in some positive ways. I never feel constrained here, and I hope the other regions get something similar soon.

Cons

It doesn't pay as well as the buy-side, sell-side, or management consulting. It does have better hours if you want them, although if you're really ambitious and want to build the company you will end up working a lot. There's always regulatory/compliance risk that's out of your control. Oh, and it's impossible to describe what you do to people.

Advice to Management

The focus on New Markets will necessarily involve some "fast failures," and I get that. GLG Share seems to be a wasted opportunity as it has been managed to date, although I'm not close enough to it to say so for sure. I think a lot more could be integrated with the North American Financial Services business across the board. I sense that NAFS's growth potential with traditional asset managers and taking share from investment banks is genuinely misunderstood by management. New Markets are a vital investment area for a number of reasons, including diversification, but given the tremendous access to capital that GLG has I think perhaps NAFS should receive investment *in addition to* New Markets' current investment. NAFS is cyclical, but it is not mature.

Good company for those who want to learn, but you have to work for it and make it work for you!

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's taken me awhile to write this but I'm tired of reading negative reviews from folks who want their career handed to them on a silver platter. You have to work for your rewards, and GLG was no exception during my tenure. - I joined in large part due to the group of talented individuals that recruited me. I had nine interviews and was impressed with everyone I met, and learned a lot during my time. Smart people work at GLG (and they still do). - When I joined I had over 10 years of experience and most of my colleagues and managers were younger than me. Made no difference, I learned from each one, even the (very) few I didn't care for much. - GLG is what you make of it: I spent several years there, grew my career and skillset considerably and worked with a lot of exceptional people along the way, many of them are still my friends today.

Cons

- Some of the work can be monotonous, especially if you only spend your time recruiting or in project management. Figure out ways to improve the business or processes, and you can stand out. - Career growth can be strongly tied to your manager. However, no one is going to stand up for you other than yourself, so if you want something, ask for it and prove you have the talent to take on more responsibilities. During my tenure I had the opportunity to develop my career in more than one country and saw (and supported) others so they could have that same opportunity. Not a lot of companies of this size are that eager and supportive of international moves, period. I also had a very strong manager who saw things in me that I couldn't see in myself at the time. He invested in me, believed in me and greatly contributed to my professional growth. - I left the company to take my career in a different direction. I could have stayed and would have had many opportunities to continue to develop. Sometimes companies can't move fast enough or create opportunities that are going to fit exactly what you want to do. Figure out what you want to learn and how to get it while contributing to the company. - If you want to work for a narrow-minded company that only hires certain majors from certain schools, then GLG is not for you. The company understands that having well rounded people from different backgrounds is additive. If you want to work with all engineering and finance people only from ivy leagues, go join a management consulting firm or investment bank or some other company that prefers to see things from a limited perspective.

Advice to Management

- Leverage GLG alum - why not have an annual GLG alum event in NY? A lot of good people worked (and still work) there and there's a very strong network that is not being leveraged. - Focus on continuing to develop the great people you have internally. If they can't develop within GLG, support them on their way out and stay in touch. - Corporate HR should spend time in every office on a rotation of at least once every 18 months - 2 years (especially those with more than 25 employees)

3. Management Consultant

Current Employee - ENERGY and INDUSTRIAL CONSULTANT in La Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - ENERGY and INDUSTRIAL CONSULTANT in La Mesa, CA

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gret topics, excellent pay, outstanding company

Cons

Consults are limited to client base

VP of Business Development

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

You receive excellent exposure to world's leading institutions and thought leaders. Meeting and speaking with senior staff at investment institutions allows you to build a strong personal network.

Cons

It can be challenging to accelerate through the ranks both in title and compensation. Compensation is competitive,w which is nice, but taking significant leaps forward can be a challenge and rehires significant tenure.

Advice to Management

Stick to the initiatives you put in place. There are many very good ideas that are put in place, but a lack of consistency in the resources devoted to them.

excellent company

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group

Pros

Great company to work for. Very stable and good place to learn new technologies.

Cons

There are no cons if you are a hard working individual.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and increase presence in non-financial sectors.

Research Manager

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group

Pros

great office, great coworkers, lots of interesting learning and development opportunities

Cons

work is very monotonous. Sales/research structure doesn't make sense.

Advice to Management

higher pay

It's okay...needs a lot of new blood...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work from home option (once we got laptops) was a great perk. The company has a very good and needed product.

Cons

It needs new blood. Laptops were not issued for all employees until 2014! They are way behind on a lot of business practices; for example, their idea of marketing and sales involves phone calls and emails, without tracking or automation. The company had reorganize to downsizing and things got very messy.

Advice to Management

More to the board, but, unfortunately, everyone with a "C"in his or her title should really be replaced. These are people who have antiquated notions and practices. It needs new blood.

Great place to figure out what you want to do in life

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group

Pros

Ample time and opportunity/resources to get smart on an industry you would like to break into.

Cons

Very young salesforce and a lot of bureaucracy. Younger business units have far more growth potential than older business units.

Great company that continues to improve

Current Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GLG offers a great opportunity for young professionals to gain exposure to a variety of industries and smart people while having significant responsibilities at an early stage. The company is making continued investments in talent and professional development, which make it an increasingly attractive destination.

Cons

The role can get tedious, but the company has done a great job of promoting role differentiation for high performers. Not the job for individuals who don't ever want to touch work on weekends.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the investments in head count and opportunities for high performing employees

TAKE THIS REVIEW SERIOUSLY: Do Not Work At Gerson Lehrman Group (all the good reviews are written by current management)

Former Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your entry-level colleagues. I did find myself able to bond with many of the entry level employees. This is literally the only positive.

Cons

Extremely boring montonous work, not challenging at all. Horrendous upper management, led by a bunch of individuals with soft majors (journalism, history, english, etc) who know almost nothing about finance. Yet these individuals claim to finance/consulting experts. If you are interested in finance this is definitely not the company to work for. Anyone who is truly talented leaves the company after 2-3 years max (few exceptions). The work here is comparable to being a glorified secretary, you make connections for investors. You help them connect with individuals from companies they are currently exploring. I would only work for this company if I was in a dire situation.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately I think GLG is a lose cause. All of the positive reviews are written by current employees. In fact things were so bad on Glassdoor at one point managers were actually asking their direct reports to post positive reviews on Glassdoor.

RSS Feed </> Embed