Gerson Lehrman Group

Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Gerson Lehrman Group President and CEO Alexander Saint-Amand

Alexander Saint-Amand

Pros
  • Work/life balance is overall very good for being involved with Wall St(in 12 reviews)

• Plenty of smart people from impressive backgrounds(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and Senior Management are not emplyee friendly, high internal politics(in 8 reviews)

• No clear career path, weak link between colleagues(in 4 reviews)

Impressive Employees and Solid Opportunities for Professional Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDespite being mostly-young graduates of top tier schools, GLG's employees are also humble and easy to work with. The management structure is fairly flat, so even if you're a 22-year-old new college grad, you're still made to feel that you have a voice in the company and your ideas matter.

ConsRelatively high employee turnover, which can make project completion challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving lots of employees who have been at the company long enough to contribute "institutional memory" to strategy discussions could be beneficial.

Every conversation I had, whether it was with a client, a council member or a colleague, was interesting.

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFascinating work, super smart people.

ConsCan be tough to develop one's own expertise when in the business of connecting other experts.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvesting in staff development would likely be well received.

Great Group of Intelligent Individuals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSenior Management had an open door policy

Conslower management was not properly aligned to the GLG standards

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of lower management that has no been hired within.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good first job to understand your long-term career interests

Research Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYou work along very talented and capable people recruited from top tier institutions, and you will have a broad exposure to industries and institutional investors. It's a great first job, particularly if you don't have a finance degree but wish to understand the financial markets.

ConsThe glass ceiling becomes apparent very quickly, since seniority often trumps talent. Managers aren't doing anything notably different from what the entry-level folks are doing, and the competitive compensation doesn't negate the monotony of the role.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom what I've heard, management is starting to transition the office culture to create more of a tech startup environment, which is a good thing. Senior leadership should be more approachable and less concerned with "leading from the corner office"; some senior leadership frequently engages with the troops, others prefer to create an air of aristocracy.

Great company, Great people, excited for the future.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are by far the best part of working at GLG. The leadership team has set the vision and the team up for success. The business is moving in new and exciting directions. We are focused on what is important to our clients all in a coordinated way through our values: Learning & Curiosity, Responsibility, Service, Courage, Judgement, & Fresh Perspective. It is really an exciting time to have joined the team.

ConsGLG is a place where you have to be self motivated and initiate the change you want to see, and change is hard for anyone. So you do need to be a self motivated person with passion for what you do in order to succeed, and hit the high standard they have set.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving forward, and telling us about it. Set the bar higher and hire more people. We need bigger supporting departments (approx 10% increase) in order to support growth.

Dynamic, growing company with great environment

Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis is a company with services that they market wants. It created a new industry and it feels good to be at a place that isn't resting on its accomplishments, but is actually trying to get better every day. It's an intellectually vibrant environment and one that rewards thinking outside the box. You're treated like an adult at GLG and not micro-managed, therefore I've found the work/life balance to be very good.

ConsAs with any company, personality fit and culture are important. It's critical to make sure you connect with whoever will manage you and that you feel good around your colleagues because for better or worse that will be key.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage with all levels of employees, continue to explore ways to make them feel like they are a part of the success of the firm and part of where it is going.

A once solid company loses its way -- CEO stumbles, misses and loses our confidence

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou can definitely strike the right work/life balance here; you get exposed to some interesting projects once in awhile, but lots of your time still spent on much more mundane work. Can be good to make some initial contacts across many areas of finance, and hopefully land your next job

ConsThere one was a really good and important idea at the heart of this company, and (years before I was here) there was actually high morale and excitement about working here. But the glaring lack of strategic direction and the massive employee turnover have crippled our development. There's no mystery we are stuck in a such a strategic mess -- we reached the mature phase of our corporate development and desperately needed to grow and develop in new directions and strengthen our products and services. But we can't escape the pinched and immature vision of our CEO, who, while a decent guy, should have been replaced years ago by the board. Not only has he lost confidence of his employees and managers, but his total lack of charisma and communication skills make his totally unfit to lead, much less inspire us. And don't get me started about the insanity surrounding the repeated relaunches of our various social media products. That enormous waste of money and time traces directly back to the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior managers below the CEO need to do what they should have done years ago. Take a lesson from other companies in similar situations. Organize, and make your case directly to board about replacing CEO. They will listen to you and hopefully we can restore this company.

CEO lacks vision, strategy, and basic leadership skills -- still time to save company with new boss.

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosthe hours are fine, the people you work with are a cool group of interesting people; about half fhe time you have some interesting projects; other half the time you're a glorified scheduler....like most really good people, you'll move on as soon as you figure it out...

ConsA long time ago, there was a pretty interesting, cutting-edge company here that had a vision, some inspired leaders, and a chance to make its employees some very nice money by being bought up or going public. All of that has passed many years ago. My manager describes it as every year more and more air goes out of the tires but the car keeps moving along as the CEO tries these hare-brained schemes to rediscover some value in the company. Meanwhile, the core basics of being a leader, mentor and CEO are totally absent -- zero interpersonal skills, a shriveled vision of where to lead the company, and seemingly without any loyal managers (who seem to snicker behind his back).

It's absurd how many different versions of online communities/social media properties he's tried to create at a cost of millions of dollars of personnel and consultants (does the board keep score of this awful waste of people, products, time, etc?); he scraps them, starts over, redesigns website, and then rolls out another dead-end project. Then does it again! The best managers and leaders figure this out soon enough and always end up leaving. I'm amazed that we can still attract some young and talented technologists and others working on our product development; we have such a poor track record of keeping these bright, young promising people. As best as I can figure, others in senior management are only staying around convinced that the Board has to fire this abysmal CEO soon, and they will have a chance at the top spot.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe can't be the first company where top managers and many others all know the CEO has to be replaced. Can we learn from others, get organized, make the case to our board, and try to rebuild this company with proper leadership.

OK place to start a career, but don't expect to stay long

Associate (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits are decent. Many of the skills acquired are transferable to other companies / industries.

ConsSome of the work can get monotonous, making you feel like a robot. Research Managers are constantly stressed out, placing unnecessary pressure on Associates. They also like to take all the credit for successful projects. Management doesn't seem to think the extremely high turn-over rate for associates is an issue, so they need to work on getting that fixed by creating upward mobility within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with your associates, who actually do a lot of the grunt work and stop placing all your attention on Research Managers.

Challenging work with talented people

Legal and Compliance Intern (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGLG offers a unique experience to work with a worldwide company alongside very talented (often young) professionals. There are few options as excellent for those seeking professional experience in Austin.

ConsThere is a lot of turnover in the company making it difficult for interns to get a long-term view of the company. Additionally, the interns have limited built-in opportunities to connect with each other.

Worked for Gerson Lehrman Group? Contribute to the Community!