Gerson Lehrman Group

Updated December 19, 2014
3.4

Gerson Lehrman Group President and CEO Alexander Saint-Amand
Alexander Saint-Amand

Pros
  • Work/life balance is overall very good for being involved with Wall St (in 18 reviews)

• Very smart people from huge range of backgrounds (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance was seriously lacking (in 6 reviews)

• HR and Senior Management are not emplyee friendly, high internal politics (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Vice President, Research in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Research in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Collegial work environment,;smart people who enjoy their work and share the credit; management supports professional growth; puts resources behind strong performers and business ideas; flexible attitude towards work-life balance; direct feedback and communication by managers (quarterly goals conversations); nice people; thriving business growth; constant innovation and creativity; constantly learning

Cons

I love working here and after 15 years of work experience, have nothing negative to say about this place, especially relative to other places I've worked; youthful culture which depending on your perspective can be a pro or a con; similarly, this is a people-business - if you don't enjoy meeting and talking with some of the most interesting people in the world, this job may not be for you. Need to be intellectually curious to succeed here.

Keep it up! Particularly in the NAFS division, leaders are focused on creating engaging career paths, attracting and retaining the best talent, training & development and creating a culture of top-notch leadership and management. This is an incredibly fun place to work.

Extremely friendly staff and inclusive atmosphere.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group

Pros

The team is everything. Weekly team lunches or other group activities.

Cons

The work is not mentally challenging.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Research Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are that the company is filled with bright and driven people, good corporate structure, and excellent training program. Overall it provides an exciting package that allows employees a lot of responsibility quickly.

Cons

One of the cons is that GLG has a rigorous work environment, they demand a lot of you because they give you a lot of responsibility.

Provide more advice regarding future options for moving up within the company.

Great Company, Better People

Former Employee - Research Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are the best part about the company. The work could be tedious at times but it was incredibly satisfying working with the employees at the company.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any cons, except maybe the repetitiveness of the interns work. Overall, still a wonderful experience

The only thing I would suggest to management is to give more space for the interns to grow as professionals.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Research Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Friendly team atmosphere between members of the team
    -Great guidance from mentors and team members throughout internship
    -Leadership is friendly to entire staff

Cons

-Work can get very repetitive
    -Lots of cold calling involved with the internship
    -Training isn't very personal and involves many members from different teams

-Try some kind of mentorship program with the interns to engage them with company's vision

Culture needs work

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally, compensation and benefits are good, although those on research have little opportunity to maximize earning if they are below the Vice President role. Bonuses are discretionary, and require political maneuvering. You'll work with incredibly well-educated and generally intelligent people. However, many of the best people will eventually move on.

Cons

GLG is really about discovering what lies beneath the facade of the new brand. You can build an new extremely expensive office, revamp the website, hire a PR team, but that doesn't change the incredibly troubling culture that exists at GLG, and that has existed for years. After all the efforts that management says it has made to tackle turnover, the simple truth is that GLG gained 300 employees last year while losing 200. People continue to leave and will continue to leave because they realize that their hard work will not be rewarded on its merits alone. So many mediocre managers and employees have been promoted or put on pedestals while so many hard working and smart employees have been punished for petty reasons. In my experience I've seen some incredible managers, and the culture in other offices is not as bad as it is at HQ, but I've also seen so many managers who have completely destroyed entire practice areas by their sheer lack of management experience or inability to work well with their teams. When an entire practice area virtually loses all of its non-associate employees, why keep the leader of the practice area?

Beyond the culture and poor leadership, GLG needs to actually focus on what its trying to accomplish, and find solutions to problems. Countless initiatives, too many business units, and poor technology are just the major factors undermining the future success of GLG. The huge failure of GLG was to not invest in technology in the beginning, and GLG has been trying to repair that mistake for years. GLG has only had a CTO for a few years, and should invest in hiring more engineers than professional services employees. GLG seemed to be about streamlining and making finding expertise more efficient. But that has turned into a mission of professional development and learning. The latter requires far more manual work by employees and has turned employees into glorified assistants.

I could not recommend a friend or family member join GLG. While I've worked with some incredible people and managers, I'd recommend to many of my colleagues that they move on and find a better opportunity.

In the NAFS division, serious thought must be taken into replacing some of the top leadership, particularly the heads of research and sales. Culture starts at the top, and when your top leadership can't even keep their word on mission and path, how can you expect junior and mid-level employees to follow? Of course this leads to a discussion of the CEO, who also should be removed. The CEO exhibits little leadership qualities or clear goals. He is just coasting at this point.

On GLG's CEO

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

It’s not uncommon to find sharp critiques of GLG’s CEO Alexander Saint-Amand on Glassdoor and I thought I’d take a moment to share my own view of his executive acumen. I have worked at GLG for three quarters of my professional life, in three different roles and for two different business units. Hopefully that breadth of experience carries some weight as folks evaluating GLG for prospective employment think about its leadership.

Leadership or lack thereof in a CEO can manifest in any number of forms but the good ones are true to themselves. Introverts who try and make themselves something they’re not by engaging employees often in an attempt to “rally the troops” can come off clumsy and disingenuous. Extraverts who are content to focus inward on strategy, operations, capital structure and capital allocation might demotivate employees by robbing them of the chance to hear from their company’s leader.

Alexander has an introverted executive style. There's no question. Critics would be well-served to keep in mind, though, that a good leader does not try to be something he or she is not. Give me substance over style every day of the week.

Detractors would also do well to remind themselves that whatever contribution they are making to GLG, Alexander has likely done it. He’s been a Research Manager, he’s programmed Live Meetings, he’s sold, he’s raised money, and he’s seen the company through boom times and through a recession of historic proportions. And just like every other GLG employee, he’s both succeeded and he’s failed. He’d be the first to admit as much. Go ahead and talk to him some time about HighTable, about veering away from a professional services culture and stressing a technology one, about over-investing in business units that ultimately held less promise than established ones. If you want to criticize him on the merits, he’d love to hear from you. Really.

And finally, to his credit, he’s evolved. He’s no longer so introverted. He’ll talk to any employee about the strategic direction of the company, about the culture of curiosity and learning he wishes to foster, about past mistakes. I’ll concede that some of the critiques of Alexander’s style one can readily view on Glassdoor, at one time, may have carried some merit. But nearly all of them are now dated. Alexander is firing on all cylinders at the moment, communicating effectively and often with employees, and doing so with a great deal of conviction around a strategy whose early returns look excellent.

Cons

Just posting CEO commentary for now

Building and flying the plane

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant colleagues in offices around the world who value the opportunity to support business leaders through every macro and micro challenge. Freedom to develop new approaches, test ideas, build and expand on a market-leading platform. The beauty of what GLG lies in the connections we form between people.
    More progressive employee policies (relaxed dress code, no max on vacation days, collaborative and open offices) have had a great impact on talent and recruiting.
    Direct access to very senior executives enables young talent to build very impressive professional networks.

Cons

Not suitable for someone looking for a highly structured, predictable corporate culture. Requires adaptability, autonomy, and a willingness to roll up sleeves to get things done. Air of secrecy among senior leadership creates unnecessary worry and stress.

Increase transparency and interaction between senior leadership and employees. For a company of less than 1000 people, the mid-level and junior team members should have more exposure to the leadership. Also seek ways to lessen silos between business units.

Start-up culture with money to pay salaries

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Anyone has the ability to make an impact on day 1 of their job. Happy people, happy work environment. Good benefits.

Cons

Still trying to find their way...but that makes it exciting.

Lack of hierarchy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group (more than an year)

Pros

The lack of hierarchy at GLG is refreshing. It's easy to walk around and have no clue who is more senior and who is more junior. Everyone has the same "roll up your sleeves mentality". In New York, everyone sits together (literally) and there are no offices, so it's easy to feel like we're all on the same level playing field.

Cons

I realize this may be more New York specific.

Gerson Lehrman Group Photos