Gerson Lehrman Group

Updated February 27, 2015
4.4

Gerson Lehrman Group President and CEO Alexander Saint-Amand
Alexander Saint-Amand

Pros
  • Work/life balance is overall very good for being involved with Wall St (in 18 reviews)

• Very smart people from huge range of backgrounds (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance was seriously lacking (in 6 reviews)

• HR and Senior Management are not emplyee friendly, high internal politics (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Learning, earning, and having fun

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

I came to GLG from a background as an equity analyst on both the buy-side and sell-side, and it has been without question the best job I've ever had. The people have the youth and energy of an investment bank, the diverse and impressive backgrounds of a management consultancy, and creativity of a start-up.

Working at GLG in almost any role involves doing many different things, and it often feels almost like a video game managing work flow. I've heard it described as a place where people with "intellectual ADD" prosper, and I can see why someone would say that. The people you are exposed to are some of the best investors and most accomplished individuals in the world, and as a research professional you're constantly engaged in both the world and your work. It's very social, very engaging, and it usually involves enabling a win-win situation for important people. That feels good.

Finally, I cannot overstate the impact of the New York office on my day to day happiness. I spend more waking hours here than at home, and if I had a billion dollars I'm not sure I could design a better working environment. Perfectly located across from Grand Central, beautifully laid out, lots of natural light (do not underestimate the importance of that!) and an "activity-based working" layout that I think has re-wired my brain in some positive ways. I never feel constrained here, and I hope the other regions get something similar soon.

Cons

It doesn't pay as well as the buy-side, sell-side, or management consulting. It does have better hours if you want them, although if you're really ambitious and want to build the company you will end up working a lot. There's always regulatory/compliance risk that's out of your control.

Oh, and it's impossible to describe what you do to people.

The focus on New Markets will necessarily involve some "fast failures," and I get that. GLG Share seems to be a wasted opportunity as it has been managed to date, although I'm not close enough to it to say so for sure.

I think a lot more could be integrated with the North American Financial Services business across the board. I sense that NAFS's growth potential with traditional asset managers and taking share from investment banks is genuinely misunderstood by management. New Markets are a vital investment area for a number of reasons, including diversification, but given the tremendous access to capital that GLG has I think perhaps NAFS should receive investment *in addition to* New Markets' current investment. NAFS is cyclical, but it is not mature.

An exciting company to work for if you are ready to work hard and learn.

Current Employee - Vice President, Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

After 10 years in financial services working for the likes of Bloomberg, I believe there are few companies in the world positioned to transform and disrupt as many industries and businesses as GLG is. If you believe in a meritocracy model, are intellectually curious, and eager to work hard and learn, GLG can yield a successful career.

Cons

GLG has a strong and unique employee culture which requires a period of adaptation. Not the type of company you will do well with if you are complacent and have a 9-5 mentality.

Smart people, sharing knowledge and information

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and interesting group of people working here. "flexible policy", depending on your manager. Great office and a barista.

Cons

No company-wide development training or clear career path.

Keep doing your business, but try to retain some hidden talent in the firm

Excellent consulting firm with hard working people and numerous opportunities.

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group

Pros

Very flexible schedule and the ability to do most consulting work from a home office.

Cons

Not steady in terms of consulting gigs. At times not enough work to generate sufficient income. Not a full time job.

Increase the ability of consultants to make a living from just working at GLG.

Decent place to work

Former Intern - Research Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Young office for the most part; very friendly people; well stocked breakroom; given autonomy; decent office culture

Cons

extremely devoted to the work; mostly a phonebank, call center type place/job; many boring people; ridiculously rigid on time

Focus more on a good balance of work life culture, pay better

Front office vs Back office. Great company for Sales/Research roles. Not for Accounting/Finance back office.

Former Employee - Accounting/Finance in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accounting/Finance in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good for Sales/Research roles Plenty of growth.
    Benefits. 401k match. Flex time .
    Multi national company.

Cons

2 different companies in one. If you're in a Sales/Research Front/Mid office role. GLG can be a great place to grow. Great exposure to multiple industries, new concepts , a good amount of travel etc.. Company really encourages employee development for these type of roles.

The opposite can be said for Back office roles ie. Accounting/Finance. Lack of growth, below market compensation. Management does not encourage new ideas/solutions. Controller treats employees at both accounting offices differently. Company overall does invest in employee development for Accounting/Finance roles. Overall just not a great place to work if your in a back office role.

This sounds cliche but the Accounting/Finance department need better communication between managers and employees. Especially at the Controller/Asst Controller level. I would encourage mid year reviews, not annual. Invest money and time throughout the whole company not just sales/research.

Negative culture within I.T as well for the rest of the company.

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group

Pros

Nice building with a great location within Midtown.

Cons

The culture within I.T is filled with type A personalities that have poor networking skills to match their level of arrogance. The global network and voice environment is configured so poorly a standard change would lead to network outage because of the design and implementation. If you tell them the network should be designed another way nicely they still will take offensive it. I would not touch this network unless it was gutted out, redesigned and implemented. This is attributed to a I.T manager that has programming background and no real experience managing a large enterprise network environment at GLG.

Finally the company as a whole has a high turnover rate with an HR group that is young, in-experienced and does not use discretion when making a decision. If you have a strong HR and recruiting personnel then you will have quality people working for your company.

Good place to start but…...

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group

Pros

The pros are that the job is not rocket science and they alway have good locations and amazing offices. You're typically going to find their office in the center of downtown in every major city in the US. Some people like working with a lot of young people and others don't. To me it can be a negative because you have so many young people holding manager positions that honestly don't know what they are truly doing.

Cons

My biggest problem with GLG is their recruiting process. They spend a ridiculous amount of money on recruiting. This is because the founders are pretentious Yale Law school graduates that believe you are nothing unless you have an outstanding education from a prestigious school. You wouldn't find someone working here with a state education. Just wouldn't happen. It honestly doesn't matter what you major in and you really don't have to be as smart as the schools as they're recruiting for. You just have to be able to work hard. I'm sorry but this is one of the most stuck up organizations I've been around. I read one review on here that said you are a call scheduler and thats pretty accurate. But once I got into work it was fine because the work was extremely easy. It would be really hard to mess this job up. But if you don't have a degree from a top tier university good luck. They will fly you all over the place for recruiting spending money that they shouldn't. They really want they're company to have different cultures. But the amount of money they put into recruiting is just ridiculous

Good work experience means more than a fancy ivy league education with nothing on the resume

Best professional experience of my career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for GLG across multiple offices, business units and in a variety of roles and it has been the best professional experience of my career. I began as an entry-level employee and through a mixture of hard work, entrepreneurialism, intellectual curiosity, and a passion for the business I have risen to a more senior role and am the happiest I've ever been in my career. The caliber of GLG’s senior management team is in part what drew me to the company in the first place, and my continued confidence in them has inspired me to stay. GLG’s culture is undoubtedly results-oriented. Employees who perform are rewarded with advancement and compensation, as well as opportunities and responsibilities that would be difficult to find at many other employers. The people here who are most successful and happy are those who get excited by the opportunity to interact every day with the world’s smartest people, which include GLG’s Council Members and clients. If you are intimidated by those interactions, or view them as a chore, you will not be happy here. Those who demonstrate effort but are not good long-term fits for the company are treated thoughtfully and humanely, encouraged to find another career path, and often given help in finding other opportunities. The beautiful New York office and flexible work environment (activity based working and flexible leave policy) afford employees with an unusually progressive and civilized work environment. GLG’s management team makes no apologies for expecting excellence from its employees and generally holds themselves to the same high standards. When compared to other high-octane NYC career paths the hours are reasonable and GLG treats its employees like adults. Our CEO has taken a lot of heat on this website, and in my view much of it is unfair. As many have mentioned, Alexander is open and reflective about mistakes he has made, and has grown a lot in the past few years. At his core he is an intellectual with a burning passion for GLG’s mission to transform the market for teaching and learning. Some of Alexander’s critics on this website praise our senior management team but fail to acknowledge that Alexander selected them for their roles and continues to motivate and inspire them. Many at GLG appreciate the opportunity to learn from and be led by someone with deep experience in this business.

Cons

If you require a very structured work environment with significant daily guidance, you will likely not be successful at GLG. It is also a place where social animals tend to thrive.

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Vice President, Research in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Collegial work environment,;smart people who enjoy their work and share the credit; management supports professional growth; puts resources behind strong performers and business ideas; flexible attitude towards work-life balance; direct feedback and communication by managers (quarterly goals conversations); nice people; thriving business growth; constant innovation and creativity; constantly learning

Cons

I love working here and after 15 years of work experience, have nothing negative to say about this place, especially relative to other places I've worked; youthful culture which depending on your perspective can be a pro or a con; similarly, this is a people-business - if you don't enjoy meeting and talking with some of the most interesting people in the world, this job may not be for you. Need to be intellectually curious to succeed here.

Keep it up! Particularly in the NAFS division, leaders are focused on creating engaging career paths, attracting and retaining the best talent, training & development and creating a culture of top-notch leadership and management. This is an incredibly fun place to work.

Gerson Lehrman Group Photos