Gerson Lehrman Group

Updated August 19, 2014

3.5

Gerson Lehrman Group President and CEO Alexander Saint-Amand
Alexander Saint-Amand

Pros
  • Work/life balance is overall very good for being involved with Wall St (in 12 reviews)

• Plenty of smart people from impressive backgrounds (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and Senior Management are not emplyee friendly, high internal politics (in 8 reviews)

• No clear career path, weak link between colleagues (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Somewhat well-run company and pleasant colleagues

Current Employee - Senior Research Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Manager in New York, NY

Pros

-GLG is in a somewhat unique market and, while it's not perhaps the most interesting thing, GLG does it better than anyone. Our competitors are cheaper and faster because they don't care about niceties like compliance, which will come back to bite them all.
    -Management listens to employees - they recently started a 401k match, for example. I feel like I could walk up to anyone - CEO, CFO, CIO - and ask questions or bring up an issue and a suggested resolution, and they would listen.
    -Virtually everyone I work with is friendly, fun, smart, and always willing to help others.
    -Work/life balance is overall very good for being involved with Wall St.

Cons

-The job is overall not intellectually challenging.There's lots of talk about how Research Managers are intimately involved with clients' research processes and are vital partners who need to have a lot of subject matter expertise. More than anything, I feel like a glorified secretary since 30% of my job is scheduling phone calls for clients (and then rescheduling them when the client cancels at the last minute and having to calm down an irate Council Member who had been planning on having a call in five minutes). Clients view GLG as a vendor, nothing more.
    -Another 30% of my job is searching our database for people a client might want to talk to. This does not require an advanced degree.
    -The physical office is a little embarrassing to bring clients to - rather run down and crowded. And the bathrooms are gross. Fortunately, we are moving to a new office later this summer.
    -Salaries seem a little low for NYC

It seems like the company wastes a lot of money on startup ventures that don't go anywhere (G+, Hightable, etc). I'd be interested to learn more about the thought process that goes into this. And I do agree that we need a new CEO: the current one seems out of his depth, awkward, and too removed for a company this size. Getting in an elevator with him is uncomfortable, as opposed to getting in an elevator with anyone else in senior management.

Very bright future--Excellent place to be

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

Pros

Professional development, interesting work, open atmosphere, quality of colleagues, premier and diverse client base, early responsibility, great work/life balance, industry leading compliance, excellent business model, company is growing and changing fast

Cons

Enterprise software system, some outdated systems and processes

Continue using all assets to recruit, develop, and retain talent--relay company strategy (not just 3-12 month tactics and goals) to junior employees

Will always have a great product, but management is destroying the company

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Great people, valuable product to the clients, able to learn a lot about various businesses

Cons

Awful management, too many layers, little room for upward movement, low comp

Take a little interest in your employees. Walk around, take time to hear their thoughts. In my 5+ years at GLG, there were very few managers that actually seemed to care about what their team members had to say. I believe this culture may stem from the top. Unfortunately GLG has a CEO that takes zero interest in his people. He may be intelligent, but he is the furthest thing from a leader.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful company to work with

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Thibodaux, LA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Thibodaux, LA

Pros

Good hours, great pay, interesting clients

Cons

There is nothing negative to say.

Just keep doing what you do so well.

For me personally, it's been abundance of opportunities, experiences.

Current Employee - Senior Research Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

fair amount of job opportunities

Cons

lack of senior management leadership

Way Overdue for Silver Lake and Board to Replace Failed CEO

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

Pros

you're not going to hate your job here; it's a decent work environment and you'll enjoy your co-workers; hours are not bad either, and every once in a while you may get excited about a project you're working on. Pretty good group of senior managers, but nothing can compensate for problem at the top.

Cons

I don't know if our CEO ever understood strategy, how to drive revenue and build the business, much less how to build a great company. But he's more than had his fair shot, and he's failed miserably. Now we just at best coast along, and at worst spend millions of dollars on dead-end projects, hire/fire managers constantly, and have some of the lowest morale I've seen short of businesses going under. As someone says below, we have a decent foundation to be a good business, but the CEO is truly unfit to lead this company anymore. He seems to realize how we all talk about these facts, and compensates by avoiding contact with his teams as much as possible, and badly fumbling or sometimes not saying a word at meetings when he should be providing guidance. At best, the poor guy has just run out of ideas and is barely hanging on to the last, good job he'll ever have. At worst, he's a great case study of how lack of leadership and strategy at the top dooms a company, wastes huge resources, and results in the best managers leaving as soon as something good comes along.

We have a strong, smart bench of top executives. Any one of them would be better than the current CEO.

Joining early on provided amazing learning opportunities and growth potential. Business is founded on solid idea.

Former Employee - Vice President Product Management  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Product Management in New York, NY

Pros

Strong business foundation, very smart and talented people, amazing growth and learning opportunities

Cons

Management vision and execution can be disjointed. Too many layers of managers at this point, a lot of overhead to get things done.

Give more autonomy to the team. Be aggressive and stick to the plan.

Weak CEO Clings to Job and Company Stumbles Along

Current Employee - Research Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY

Pros

smart and interesting group of people you work with -- tend to have similar backgrounds and managers are pretty much a strong group

Cons

Someone below said there's a strong foundation that company is built on, but that the CEO is totally unfit to run company; that kind of nails it. He not only can't think through strategy, he has a total absence of leadership skills. He's openly mocked by senior managers, and there seems unanimous consent that he is way over his head at this point. There's no accountability as far as I can tell for the huge money, time, and effort he wasted on various social media efforts that contributed nothing to sales and growth (and actually took time and focus away from our core markets), and we stumble along with no overall plan. We all wonder why our very smart investors don't replace him already.

We need a strong, decisive, and strategically informed CEO -- current one has to go.

GLG is a fantastic company. They genuinely want employees to excel - whether at GLG or at another company.

Former Employee - Member Solutions Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Member Solutions Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

Great company culture.
    Company is still young and growing - it's a great time to be a part of the changes that GLG is making.

Cons

If you let yourself, I feel like you could be at work all the time. People rarely take lunch breaks (or breaks of any kind) and more often than not, eat at their desks.

Failed CEO stifles innovation and drags down company...

Current Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

Pros

agree with others here that you generally work with a smart, interesting group of people; hours are fine, and you have lots of schedule flexibility; worst ways in life to get a paycheck and health benefits

Cons

There once was a strong, promising and cutting edge company here. But time sure has passed us by. totally agree with reviewer below who says ceo just doesn't understand strategy, has no plans to grow and innovate company, and has wasted untold millions on inane online communities that go nowhere and deliver nothing to growth or sales. We'll not only never go public, be bought out or even just become a mature, successful company till the board decides to replace him. seems like everyone in the company knows this and either is waiting out till he's replaced or thrown in the towel and decided to leave.

so obvious to everyone -- replace the failed ceo.

Worked for Gerson Lehrman Group? Contribute to the Community!