Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Truly outstanding experience with great leaders

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GLG's New Markets team is one of the most entrepreneurial places to work. John Donoghue leads this business--and he's truly one of the most visionary leaders I've encountered. He provides all the teams under him enough leeway to experiment and build quickly. The CEO of GLG pays particular attention to this business because this is where all future growth at GLG will come from. So, as an employee --it is especially exciting to work for the part of the business that is seen by both the board and the CEO as most impactful. Some other pros: 1) Ability to network and form strong relationships with former CEOs and world leaders 2) Develop strong interpersonal and analytical skills 3) Truly work in an entrepreneurial team 4) Grow in both title and responsibility very quickly compared to other companies 5) Vibrant, great group of coworkers

Cons

The New Markets business at GLG focusses on new growth --and so all team members who join must be very comfortable with ambiguity and for the task at hand to change. It isn't a 9 to 5 job where the task each day stays the same--and for some who value tasks that are repeatable --this clearly isn't the place for them. Some other cons: 1) Relative young coworker group 2) Internal marketing team is relatively weak --so some amount of that needs to be taken on directly by each team. 3) No internal clubs or groups (e.g., Women's support group) -although I'm sure they would support it if someone took the initiative to create it.

Advice to Management

Please don't change the culture you have created. The new office is incredible--and I'm curious to see what you will do when you run out of space here :)

GLG is like nowhere else - in a great way!

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-There are so many exciting things going on and the company is growing quickly in a variety of client segments, including Corporations across many industries and Professional Services. -Ability to grow responsibility and compensation quickly if a high performer as a young or mid-senior professional. -Direct exposure to the professionals and business problems of many top companies - can't learn like this almost anywhere else. -I loved being around my coworkers every day, and I truly consider them my friends. -I learned an unbelievable amount from my managers as they spent so much time with me, this is such an important aspect of any job. -GLG has a ton of career flexibility - it's quite common for people to change from a Research role to a Sales role or vice versa, and there can also be movement to corporate roles (most companies talk about career flexibility, but it's rare that you actually find it in practice!).

Cons

-As a company with many offices around the world, it isn't always easy to connect with colleagues from other countries unless working on a joint project or taking the initiative personally. -There can be peak periods of work, although not nearly as much of an issue as for most client-facing roles in other companies.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow, you'll be faced with many choices when hiring. My recommendation is that you continue to bring people on who, in addition to perhaps having some beneficial functional or industry background, are determined and action-oriented people who will really make a difference for clients. John Donoghue runs New Markets at GLG, and I've been happy to see him promote and hire leaders that make it a priority to enable everyone on the team to succeed, and I would like to see this trend continue as the team continues to expand.

Not A Worthwhile Job

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Peers will be great people, but unfortunately this isn't reason enough to take a job Pay is nice, but not when considering overtime

Cons

Work/Life Balance is seriously lacking The job itself is very mundane, and will not give you good experience to break into other industries. Again, peers are great, but unfortunately not much diversity in office as a whole. Few instances where I did feel uncomfortable as a minority. These were mostly isolated, but this really should never happen, and would be easily solved with a more diverse workforce. If you have a choice, pick your other offer, or continue your job search - be wary about selecting GLG based on what it seems to be.

Advice to Management

Watch Office Space and do the opposite of that.

Great Internship Program

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Given lots of responsibility, priority for full-time hire. My team treated me like an equal rather than an intern, and I was completely involved in every aspect of the team. This included daily phone calls with our national team where my input was valued. You are never bored, unlike other internships I have had.

Cons

It is not a career. Not much room for vertical movement after the first couple pay raises. It's also very administrative, "busy work", so if that isn't for you then I would not recommend a job with the firm.

easy but salary is not competitive

Former Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

their corporate business is best. everything else is too stuffy

Cons

the ceo is terrible and needs to step down for the sake of the company

Advice to Management

the ceo needs to step down and let other run the show.

Your colleagues will become your family, but possibly the worst office to be African American.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an employee, you are made to feel special; as if you are apart of a elite fraternity. I became extremely close with my colleagues, and I still consider many of them to be my best friends.

Cons

As a working professional, I was unaware that I would be surrounded by 21 yr olds that were only hired because their alumni statuses from an Ivy League university, not their ability to perform the actual functions of the job. This office has approximately 6 African Americans out of 280 employees; amounting to 2% of Austin employees. Do not feel comfortable with this percentage; African Americans are systematically weeded out. This is a percentage on a good day.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping; it is completely unprofessional. Please provide constructive criticism instead of babying your employees; this does not allow them to grow as working professionals.

8. great company in a top city

Pros

smart, nice and sharp colleagues

Cons

compensation is way too low, even for top performers, bonuses don't match performance, seems random who gets best bonuses

Advice to Management

actually pay for performance, don't let top people feel like they are missing out by being on the wrong team (i.e. ones that get paid more for doing less in bonuses)

Great people, poor work-life balance

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

The company was constantly hiring, and they hired well. For the most part the people were smart, talented, engaged, and fun to work with. That was important, because it was a highly collaborative work environment. There were also opportunities for advancement, with a fairly clear path to success. Those opportunities were merit-based. Good, hard work was rewarded.

Cons

The company didn't seem to value individuals very highly. There was lots of turnover and little value placed on institutional knowledge. GLG hires smart people recruited from top universities, works them to the bone, and then when they leave, replaces them with other smart people from top universities. They don't seem to miss the people who leave or make much effort to retain their workforce. They're clear from the get go that they expect hard work, and that's great because I'm the sort who can't be happy unless I'm constantly busy and challenged. But I felt consistent pressure to work nights, weekends, holidays...it quickly led to burnout. Any time a client needs something you must jump to action. To some degree that's the nature of client management, but there were no healthy boundaries or even acknowledgement by management that life outside of work was important/valued.

Advice to Management

Place more value on retaining and developing the talent you have. Research shows that happy, well-balanced employees are more productive. Invest in your employees and you're investing in the company long-term.

An exciting company to work for if you are ready to work hard and learn.

Current Employee - Vice President, Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After 10 years in financial services working for the likes of Bloomberg, I believe there are few companies in the world positioned to transform and disrupt as many industries and businesses as GLG is. If you believe in a meritocracy model, are intellectually curious, and eager to work hard and learn, GLG can yield a successful career.

Cons

GLG has a strong and unique employee culture which requires a period of adaptation. Not the type of company you will do well with if you are complacent and have a 9-5 mentality.

On the Decline

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many colleagues are outstanding. Pay and benefits are decent for new grads. Mobility is an option.

Cons

Executive leadership lacks leadership. Skills learning is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Improve.

RSS Feed </> Embed