Get In Shape for Women

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

1. Great support. The owner makes a big difference.

Pros

I have mett wonderful people.

Cons

The time commitment can be overwhelming.

2. personal trainer

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Get In Shape for Women (Less than a year)

Pros

You get full time hours without having to build your own clientele. It is a fast-paced work environment. The owner of the company is great!

Cons

You have to work split shifts, early mornings and late evenings so it can be exhausting. You also have to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Working 8 hour shifts would be more ideal with consistent hours. Also continuing education opportunities for certifications would be helpful.

Great concept for a fitness facility, but beware the owner of each franchise can make or break the studio!

Former Employee - Manager in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at Get In Shape for Women full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great concept that works to help people lose weight and gain strength; weights & cardio plus solid nutrition plan will help people get results if they do their part. Opportunity to build relationships with the ladies.

Cons

Long work hours for the manager; very early mornings and late evenings ( and every Saturday) plus sporadic sales appointments. Always "on call" as the sales line goes to the mangers cell phone. A lot of pressure to make sales each month. This can be a good job, but there is a lot of pressure to follow a sales protocol which includes breaking down potential clients in the first meeting (to make them cry actually) so they realize how much they "need" your program. I personally never felt okay doing this, but still managed a successful studio. The owner of the individual studios will make all the difference in the world as far as working for this company goes as you are actually working for the individual who owns the franchise. Our first of our studio owner had no fitness background or business sense; the second owner was an obese woman on a power trip so I peacefully moved on and seeing the hypocrisy of her passing on her fitness story omitting the part where she had gastric bypass surgery. There is only so much you can turn an blind eye to. Sadly, all of this gives the health and fitness industry a bad name.

Advice to Management

Please research the people you are selling your franchises to before you let just anyone purchase them. Do the health and fitness industry a favor and stop making us look bad by allowing people with no business being in fitness or health to become owners of your franchises. Also when an employee reaches out for help after being mistreated by your owners, do not just ignore them in hopes they will go away.

5. INSPIRED

Current Employee - Studio Manager
    Current Employee - Studio Manager

I have been working at Get In Shape for Women full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with women who are committed to better health through exercise and clean eating. Helping others 'get there' through encouraging them through psychological healing from their sorrow (emotional eating issues).

Cons

There are currently no health or dental benefits available. Some long days (but 45 hours a week is expected) yet, it doesn't really pose a problem since if I need to take off, I certainly can. I work for a FRANCHISE and the owner is AMAZING and OPEN to suggestions and LISTENS to our input as Managers and Trainers.... He is also very fair with base and commissions for my part of the country and each month we can reach a bonus. Yep, I'm pretty thankful!

Advice to Management

From reading the other reviews; I think the Corporate experience is quite different than mine .....Because this particular franchise owner is so responsive and the other people I work with are Team Players, I have no advice for Management.... we manage just fine! I'm very thankful for this opportunity!

Certain Path to Burn Out and Constant Stress

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Get In Shape for Women full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to meet many wonderful women and get to know them personally Connection to other fitness professionals Ability to make new friends through conferences and connections Opportunity to make a real difference in clients' lives Get to use counseling abilities, coaching, management skills Experience in managing a sales job Potential to earn bonus/commission each month Advertised as studio manager but it is a heavy sales job

Cons

Crazy number of hours per week. Most managers work 60 or more hours per week. False advertising about how you earn 20% more than other similar positions Every Saturday work expected until studio membership reaches 100 or 110 clients Owner can make or break the experience for the manager Corporate office provides one week training in person, most of it focused on how to conduct a sales conversation to break the woman down emotionally and get her to join Corporate office run by men (they play favorites and are not open to important input from women) No opportunity for advancement Lousy benefits One week vacation a year Most managers do not sell enough to earn a bonus Sales pressure can be immense and very stressful

Advice to Management

Hire women. Listen to the people on the front line. Reward employees. Mention employees when congratulating studios on achieving Top Ten status in sales. The manager is probably the one who made that money for the company--not the owner, but the owner is the one who gets congratulated and receives the trophy. Learn new skills. Stop repeating the same Sally sentences about commitment being hard. Figure out how a franchisee can make enough money to survive. The business model works well for the company founder but unless a person owns a handful of very successful units, the business takes a very heavy toll and creates unimaginable stress and very little income relative to the work expended. This does not change over time.

Corporate office can't be trusted

Former Employee - Owner - Franchisee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Owner - Franchisee in Boston, MA

I worked at Get In Shape for Women full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is immeasurable personal reward from helping women change their lives. The service provided is so much more than just losing weight and getting into better shape. You get to interact with many great people who work in this industry as trainers and managers. Also, most of the other franchisee owners are kind, caring people who work hard and love what they do. The members are great too!

Cons

Hard to make money (and thus a living) from owning a single unit, especially given the false projections provided by corporate. Corporate office plays favorites with some franchisees and attacks others. They say one thing and do the opposite. Too many negatives to list. They can't be trusted.

Advice to Management

The whole corporate team needs to be replaced. Until and unless this franchise gets purchased by a truly well balanced and professional company, it will struggle to attract and retain good franchisees.

Great place, you get out of it what you put in

Former Employee - Trainer in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Trainer in Westborough, MA

Pros

Great clients, good bonus scale, good work variety

Cons

Corporate does not promote from within, little room for advancement

Great supportive work environment that will challenge you

Current Employee - Studio Manager in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Studio Manager in Greenwich, CT

Pros

- Great compensation - Accommodating owners - Great concept - Very organized system - The system in place to provide clients value/results is a league above what you see in most health clubs

Cons

- Long hours. If you'd like to provide quality and service you must be there for all clients who ask for help. Being a Studio Manager is not for someone who wants a part-time job.

Management was incompetent and uneducated, but the owner is a true blue salesman.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Greenwich, CT

Pros

Great community with wonderful clients to build relationships with.

Cons

The model of the franchise does not allow the trainer to do the physical assessments for the clients and this can present an opportunity for injury. The manager does that and gives little information to support the trainer in creating a program. The management wants the trainer to randomly increase the speed on clients cardio not knowing their health conditions based on one thing: "That's the way we do it here. This is the future of training." Thankfully he is incorrect. Agreements initially made when hired by the owners were not kept and so get everything in writing. If "image" matters to you, know that management is more glib than chic. The owner hires you and you never hear from him again. It will be you and the manager. If you are stuck working with an incompetent manager that's a huge problem, and it becomes your problem. No camaraderie. No support. If it's possible work in a "fun-less" this is it.

Advice to Management

Owner: Don't choose you locations by the wealth of an area, match them to your mentality and "middle-management" thinking.

11. Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Bedford, MA

Pros

Training women is very enjoyable because they are so appreciative of the time that you spend with them to achieve their fitness or weight loss goals. Management is awesome, they not only want a happy studio but also happy employees.

Cons

The toughest part about working in the fitness world in general is that hours. It is generally very early mornings and late nights with a split in the middle which helps.

Advice to Management

The leadership is great. My manager not only makes me feel like shes cares about my best interest but always finds a way to make work fun and keep "my head in the game"

RSS Feed </> Embed