Get In Shape for Women

3.2

CEO

INSPIRED

I have been working at Get In Shape for Women full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with women who are committed to better health through exercise and clean eating. Helping others 'get there' through encouraging them through psychological healing from their sorrow (emotional eating issues).

Cons

There are currently no health or dental benefits available. Some long days (but 45 hours a week is expected) yet, it doesn't really pose a problem since if I need to take off, I certainly can. I work for a FRANCHISE and the owner is AMAZING and OPEN to suggestions and LISTENS to our input as Managers and Trainers.... He is also very fair with base and commissions for my part of the country and each month we can reach a bonus. Yep, I'm pretty thankful!

From reading the other reviews; I think the Corporate experience is quite different than mine .....Because this particular franchise owner is so responsive and the other people I work with are Team Players, I have no advice for Management.... we manage just fine! I'm very thankful for this opportunity!

Certain Path to Burn Out and Constant Stress

Former Employee - Studio Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Get In Shape for Women full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to meet many wonderful women and get to know them personally
    Connection to other fitness professionals
    Ability to make new friends through conferences and connections
    Opportunity to make a real difference in clients' lives
    Get to use counseling abilities, coaching, management skills
    Experience in managing a sales job
    Potential to earn bonus/commission each month
    Advertised as studio manager but it is a heavy sales job

Cons

Crazy number of hours per week. Most managers work 60 or more hours per week.
    False advertising about how you earn 20% more than other similar positions
    Every Saturday work expected until studio membership reaches 100 or 110 clients
    Owner can make or break the experience for the manager
    Corporate office provides one week training in person, most of it focused on how to conduct a sales conversation to break the woman down emotionally and get her to join
    Corporate office run by men (they play favorites and are not open to important input from women)
    No opportunity for advancement
    Lousy benefits
    One week vacation a year
    Most managers do not sell enough to earn a bonus
    Sales pressure can be immense and very stressful

Hire women. Listen to the people on the front line. Reward employees. Mention employees when congratulating studios on achieving Top Ten status in sales. The manager is probably the one who made that money for the company--not the owner, but the owner is the one who gets congratulated and receives the trophy. Learn new skills. Stop repeating the same Sally sentences about commitment being hard. Figure out how a franchisee can make enough money to survive. The business model works well for the company founder but unless a person owns a handful of very successful units, the business takes a very heavy toll and creates unimaginable stress and very little income relative to the work expended. This does not change over time.

Corporate office can't be trusted

Former Employee - Owner - Franchisee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Owner - Franchisee in Boston, MA

I worked at Get In Shape for Women full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is immeasurable personal reward from helping women change their lives. The service provided is so much more than just losing weight and getting into better shape.
    You get to interact with many great people who work in this industry as trainers and managers. Also, most of the other franchisee owners are kind, caring people who work hard and love what they do. The members are great too!

Cons

Hard to make money (and thus a living) from owning a single unit, especially given the false projections provided by corporate.
    Corporate office plays favorites with some franchisees and attacks others. They say one thing and do the opposite. Too many negatives to list. They can't be trusted.

The whole corporate team needs to be replaced. Until and unless this franchise gets purchased by a truly well balanced and professional company, it will struggle to attract and retain good franchisees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place, you get out of it what you put in

Former Employee - Trainer  in  Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Trainer in Westborough, MA

I worked at Get In Shape for Women

Pros

Great clients, good bonus scale, good work variety

Cons

Corporate does not promote from within, little room for advancement

Great supportive work environment that will challenge you

Current Employee - Studio Manager  in  Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Studio Manager in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Get In Shape for Women

Pros

- Great compensation
    - Accommodating owners
    - Great concept
    - Very organized system
    - The system in place to provide clients value/results is a league above what you see in most health clubs

Cons

- Long hours. If you'd like to provide quality and service you must be there for all clients who ask for help. Being a Studio Manager is not for someone who wants a part-time job.

Management was incompetent and uneducated, but the owner is a true blue salesman.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Get In Shape for Women

Pros

Great community with wonderful clients to build relationships with.

Cons

The model of the franchise does not allow the trainer to do the physical assessments for the clients and this can present an opportunity for injury. The manager does that and gives little information to support the trainer in creating a program.
    The management wants the trainer to randomly increase the speed on clients cardio not knowing their health conditions based on one thing: "That's the way we do it here. This is the future of training." Thankfully he is incorrect.
    Agreements initially made when hired by the owners were not kept and so get everything in writing.
    If "image" matters to you, know that management is more glib than chic.
    The owner hires you and you never hear from him again. It will be you and the manager. If you are stuck working with an incompetent manager that's a huge problem, and it becomes your problem.
    No camaraderie.
    No support.
    If it's possible work in a "fun-less" this is it.

Owner: Don't choose you locations by the wealth of an area, match them to your mentality
    and "middle-management" thinking.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at Get In Shape for Women

Pros

Training women is very enjoyable because they are so appreciative of the time that you spend with them to achieve their fitness or weight loss goals. Management is awesome, they not only want a happy studio but also happy employees.

Cons

The toughest part about working in the fitness world in general is that hours. It is generally very early mornings and late nights with a split in the middle which helps.

The leadership is great. My manager not only makes me feel like shes cares about my best interest but always finds a way to make work fun and keep "my head in the game"

Good Place to Work

I have been working at Get In Shape for Women full-time

Pros

The franchise training is excellent and based on principles that actually work (when followed as taught).

The base salaries are excellent, and most positions in the wellness field involve more commission. The bonus structure is realistic and fair.

Cons

Like any job, the quality of the owner/location manager definitely have an impact how much you'll enjoy your time there. The more that the owners stick with the franchise system, the better off you will be. The hours can be long sometimes, but usually the money is worth it.

Keep doing what you're doing

Clients are great/Company is not

Current Employee - Trainer
    Current Employee - Trainer

I have been working at Get In Shape for Women

Pros

Great clients, Good pay. Unexperienced trainers will thrive because you don't need to come up with your own training plan.

Cons

This is a franchise, so I'm sure experience varies by location. The Owner and Manager make a big difference in your experience. Read: Bad Management= Terrible Workplace
    Corporate is mostly men (interesting for a company specializing in WOMEN'S transformation). They change their model very often always marking it as 'improvements.' They rarely are.

Listen to your employees....not just favorites. Keep employees happy and they will stay. Otherwise get used to the high turnover of employees.

Prepare to take this job home with you, 7 days a week, every minute from 5:50am to 8:30pm every day

I have been working at Get In Shape for Women

Pros

Great base pay with great bonuses. Fun place to work where you build relationships with fun clients. Highest paid personal training jobs I have seen in my career.

Cons

Managers always take this job home with them. if you do not live local, it is a pain for travel when working splits. The stress level is off the charts the last 2 weeks of the month when working hard towards reaching your quote or owners expectations in revenue. You manage the facility, but basically a salesman by use of shifty wording and emotional selling.Managers have no advancement, only if they have the cash to open their own franchise, which is rare.

Teach your owners the model

Worked for Get In Shape for Women? Contribute to the Community!