GetThere Reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Developer in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at GetThere

Pros

The people are great. The management is great as well. Feels like one large family. People help each other out.

Cons

Promotions at Getthere could be lagging; Can be stereotyped into doing the same work but management is trying hard to change that.

none

Fun, relaxed place to work - but nothing gets done.

I worked at GetThere full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benifits, lots of charity work time, good cafeteria, no measurment or demands. Salary average for area.

Cons

No future since Concur is killing them. All dev funds go to break/fix not to enhancements. Product is falling behind and no one cares. Don't work here if you have any ambition. Always depressing when looking at the financials as they are way below expectations. Losing customers constantly, but existing customers grow a little so it looks like growth. Terrible cube environment to work in.

Update your resumes, oh wait, you can't since you only know one thing.

Low pay offset by an overall good place to work

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at GetThere

Pros

The best reasons to work for GetThere are: 1) Good location. The Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex isn't for everyone, but it does feature a relatively low cost of living and some nice suburban areas to live. The Southlake area (where GetThere offices are located on the Sabre Holdings main campus) is one of the nicer suburban areas in the metroplex. 2) The office environment. The Sabre Holdings headquarters campus consists of fairly new buildings that have many nice features for employees. We all work in cubicles, but it's definitely one of the best office environments I've seen. 3) The quality of employees. Compared to my previous jobs, the level of professionalism and experience among my coworkers at GetThere is quite high. Most of them are genuinely nice people, too! 4) Benefits. I really enjoy some of the perks employees are given such as plenty of paid time off (more than average), decent health insurance and related benefits, ability to work from home frequently (usually one day a week in my case -- more or less depending on different situations), and good facilities on campus.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at GetThere are: 1) Low pay. In my experience GetThere doesn't pay as well as it should compared to what I see offered at other employers. This seems to be symptomatic of all of the Sabre companies. However, one could argue that the low pay is somewhat offset by some of the benefits and perks. 2) Opportunities for advancement. This is really dependent upon your area of specialization and position within the company. In my case, I am pretty certain I will not have any upward mobility within the company unless I dramatically change my career path. I will probably have to change companies when I am ready to move into a position with greater responsibility. However, this is offset by the fact that GetThere is owned by Sabre Holdings, a much larger organization. Moving around and up within Sabre is pretty easy and there are possibilities with some of the other business units.

I would like to see a greater emphasis placed upon making GetThere products more customer friendly. Improvements to design, usability, and overall quality of GetThere's online travel booking tool often seem to take a backseat to other business priorities which receive greater emphasis. Increased attention to user feedback and current Web design and development trends would, I think, increase customer satisfaction (and employee satisfaction) and yield great benefits to the company. This shift in priorities has to be driven by senior management, who must recognize this as a need.

Grow Professionally at GetThere

Former Employee - Associate Software Development in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Development in Bangalore (India)

I worked at GetThere full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Positions carrying high responsibility, closely knit group

Cons

Still using outdated frameworks for UI