Getaround Reviews

4.0
Sam Zaid

1. The Best Team Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive team members. Empowerment. The company is small and everyone can make a difference. Every day presents new challenges

Cons

This is a very demanding (and rewarding) job

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love the leadership here.

Exciting and Energizing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're at a very exciting time right now in the company and there is a lot going on. Everyone is pulling for the same goal which really makes one feel like part of a team. I haven't been here long but I feel like I'm making a difference both internally for my team and externally with our mission of getting cars off the road. it's hard work but ultimately feels very rewarding.

Cons

A full weekend off without some kind of work interruption is unheard of but that's what you would expect in a start up.

Customer Happiness Agent

I worked at Getaround

Pros

Bright and fantastic people to work with

Cons

No work life balance & awful pay

A place to grow.

Current Employee - Claims/Safety Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Claims/Safety Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at Getaround, I was fresh out of college with no experience in tech or the working world. I had always been passionate about cars (I thumbed through AutoTrader often), but I didn't know yet how much value I would get (and continue to receive) when I started working here. Getaround became, for me, a place where I would go on to get a real, valuable education. It is a fast paced, creative, and inspiring environment. I have been constantly challenged and asked to attack new issues that are vital to the company. As I matured in my role, I have been able to advance in my career. In the time I've spent at Getaround, I have gone from a intern handling odds and ends to a Claims/Safety Manager handling major cases, drafting important policy/process, and have had the opportunities to grow my skills as a manager and leader. I am not a stand alone example of this either. Transportation is a true pillar of the modern society. Getaround is solving that problem. It's motivating to know the actions you are taking everyday are going to really disrupt the world as we know it. This is a vision that is shared by the whole team especially in leadership. The leadership team at Getaround is very invested in the vision of the company. No job is too small to get this idea across the finish line. When our support team needed help for several months, every single member of the founding team was on the front lines taking support calls at night and over the weekends. On weekends and late at night, you can always find a member of the leadership team online or at the office working on this or that initiative. Though Getaround has been around for 5 years, the pace, dedication and ferocity of a start up trying to really have an impact on the world has not left any part of the leadership team which has translated to the rest of the organization as a whole. Getaround for me is a family. Like all families, there are times of strife, stress, and hardship; however, there is no one else you'd rather face those adversities with. The people are dedicated and deliberate, eager to change the way the world uses cars.

Cons

Like all start ups, there is room for growth. Cross team coordination is still being perfected, and it can be frustrating at times. Leadership has started to combat this by identifying key hires in important areas of the organization to increase the level of communication across teams. Perfect can become the enemy of good. At times, I feel like the perfect solution may be out of scope, and a practical solution may exist that isn't as involved and may be a better path forward. There can be slowing in process when this occurs which can cause frustration; however, the end result is often longer lasting, stronger, and worth the effort.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow. Over the four years I've spent at Getaround, I feel I have had the opportunity to see management change and grow both professionally and personally. Whether this was the way they interacted with employees or conducted their own initiatives, the common theme has been growth. Like any person who is being honest and real, there are peaks and valleys, new challenges and the ones you've seen before. I would urge the leadership team to continue to embrace challenge, and continue their paths of growth as Getaround continues.

Great mission, great culture.

Current Employee - Community in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company's vision is clear and very tangible. - Great company culture. Hiring based on culture fit is important across the board and the team is very close knit - Great office perks and benefits (lots of dogs, all the time) - CEO is brilliant, personable and a great driver for the company

Cons

- Typical growing pains of a small company growing quickly - Team is small and lean - workload can feel overwhelming at times

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Nothing's perfect and the company is growing really well. Hiring has improved a lot and the team has a great feel right now.

I relocated across the country for Getaround to join the Engineering team. It has been exciting for last 3 years.

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- amazing business model that really works. This is not a start-up "hoping" to make or sell something. It has real revenue and customers and is growing quickly - everyone at Getaround believes in the vision of car sharing everywhere - company spends a lot of time on company culture. - a real open door policy.....the CEO is the most approachable person in the company - almost everyone takes advantage of the work-from-home option - company communication is well executed with many avenues to share information and a regular company All-Hands every two weeks - engineering is pretty interesting and challenging as it touches many different stacks and technologies including mobile, infrastructure and hardware - a fun group of people with very few egos

Cons

- never quite got used to the "No Nesting" policy but with flexible schedules, it makes more sense - no office manager means that some tasks go unfilled or managers are forced to do more admin work - meetings sometimes dont start on time which is inefficient

Advice to Management

- focus on the bigger picture and leave the details to staff - need to start thinking like a growth company rather than scrappy start-up

8. Great transportation startup with a few road bumps

I have been working at Getaround full-time

Pros

- Great company goals and mission to bring car sharing to the masses. - Company has clear short and long term objectives. Ideas, developments, and progress are very transparent. - Perfect environment for people who work well in teams but are also self starters. - Some rewarding remote work opportunities once you prove you are effective offsite. - Nice office environment with some nice perks and really great energetic team of employees. - Diverse culture with team outings and positive office activities like hack-a-thons and happy hours. - Not a "bro" party but knows how to party. - Some really fun cars available to drive!

Cons

- Young management who learns as they go, but lends to more collaboration rather than "god" style top down politics. - Raises and promotions are rare since the executives don't seem to have a set schedule of reviewing employees. - "No nesting" seating policy makes some employees feel like a lack of place in the office and lends to the idea of temporary existence. - Company went through some growing pains, but seems to have streamlined priorities now. Glad I weathered the storm!

Advice to Management

- Learn how to delegate and get out of the way of progress. - Develop better on-boarding and give employees a better sense of belonging. - Connect better with employees and make them feel like they aren't just tools to enact your vision/dream.

Best place I've worked!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at a few startups. This is probably one of the best places I've worked. Amazing team with a great culture where people actually care about what they do. Everyone brings a work hard, play hard attitude and gets along very well. Very flat organization structure where all departments collaborate daily and you can really make an impact. There aren't a lot of politics and not much interoffice drama, although about a year ago there were a few difficult personalities that caused a lot of interoffice strife. The office environment is very open and everyone gets top-of-the-line hardware and a headset. It's really a great place to work and really rewarding--but practice your foosball if you plan on joining!

Cons

Early on the leadership were too soft on prima donna employees who were not top performers. It negatively affected team morale and should have been dealt with swiftly. Otherwise policies aren't always clear but that seems to have improved. It's a startup so you there's not a lot of handholding when you're new to the team. Because of the very collaborative work-style, the office environment can be noisy at times.

Advice to Management

Protect the team and be decisive with people that are not a culture fit.

Can't recommend.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great co-workers. - Company vision is one that's easy to get behind, making the world better. - Management team is good at raising venture funding, company will probably stick around a fair bit longer.

Cons

- Founders are dating, resulting in strange blurred lines between professional and personal. - CEO is not experienced in this area, very quick to dismiss ideas that don't make 'sense to him'. - Very reactionary. CEO or Marketing Founder would come up with an idea, whole company would shift resources behind it. - Political environment. - Compensation is not on par with other companies in Silicon Valley.

Erratic management team, wonderful coworkers

I worked at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers who were smart, dedicated, and worked very hard. Most have gone on to much more well-known companies and better careers. I learned a lot about operations during my stint there (the job requires being well-rounded). The experience there definitely gave me a leg up since I learned to cope with long hours and vigorous albeit irrational demands.

Cons

Extremely disorganized leadership team that were hyper-sensitive, reactionary, and micromanaged every project/process. Impromptu marketing campaigns (usually ideas from the female cofounder) trumped more thoroughly planned projects and constantly required the attention of almost the entire office. Engineering releases were few and in between when over half the company were engineers. Lots of red tape so even small decisions had to go through management which caused operating costs to be very expensive. Very poor financial planning and lots of money spent irresponsibly. Work-life balance was not respected (even for a startup) and there was lots of inter-office drama/politics for such a small company. The cofounders seemed to thrive in this state of mind. Raises were only handed out to software engineers or employees who were on the verge of leaving. Definitely not merit-based and most employees felt under-appreciated. The morale was incredibly low at the time I left.

Advice to Management

Share praise and give compensation where it is due. Respect your employees and their personal lives outside the work environment. Plan better and prioritize projects according to goals and not on a whim.

RSS Feed </> Embed