Getty Images Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Getty Images Co-Founder & CEO Jonathan D. Klein
Jonathan D. Klein

Pros
  • Really, really great work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• You get to work with some great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower-level decisions are frequently overridden by senior management, who may not be very competent in these matters (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management is not tech-savvy (in 8 reviews)

1. Image sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Getty Images

Pros

Freedom, creativity. Possible to make good money if you get in with the right person and play their game

Cons

Low prices per image, very hard to make money unless you are sent out on paid assignments. Too many favorites get the best jobs. est jobs go to photogs that are willing to kick something back to some of the assignment people.

Advice to Management

clean house

2. Commercial Manager

I worked at Getty Images full-time

Pros

great culture amongst employees was really great

Cons

lay offs happened too often

Abysmal lack of direction and competent leadership

I have been working at Getty Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are generally pleasant but there is a pervasive culture of complacency and lack of drive. Most people come in late, do a mediocre job and leave early. If you're looking for growth and mentorship, this is not your place. If you're looking for a paycheck and work-life balance it is.

Cons

The company is constantly reinventing itself! This churn is acute at the individual contributor level and exacerbated by a largely apathetic and antiquated management team. Further, there is an utter lack of clarity around new initiatives or consensus from management on the goals and desired outcomes.

Advice to Management

If you were all on the same page and were candid about your expectations (and how they were derived) I think there would be a lot less attrition and malaise. Further, we expect you to be focused on driving our business (partners, revenue opps, emerging, etc.) and not micromanaging areas of the business you have little to no experience with. You hired us for our expertise, so let us demonstrate it!

Come work with us at a glacial pace!

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Getty Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT work life balance! Great imagery around the office. We attract pretty smart people but they leave us quickly. Not much is expected of you as a developer.

Cons

Fixated on our one competitor instead of our fleeing customers. Getty has stayed relevant buy buying competitors, over 100 of them in the last 20 years. Now we have a competitor that we couldn't buy due to HUGE debt from going 'private' and we don't know HOW to compete. They're eating our lunch. There is an article on the cash state of the company by Bloomberg a few months ago. You should read it before considering Getty for employment.

You can divide Getty into two bands of employees, those that have been at the company for 10+ years and those that have been there for less than 3. The turnover is really amazing. We hire bright people and then fire them when they try to do anything different or they leave when they realize how slow we move.

We have a TON of technical debt from all of the mergers that we have patched together with duct tape and bailing wire over the years. Code base is a joke, come work as a senior developer in PHP!

We are stuck in the 90's with our management style too, top down leadership all the way. Decisions are made and pushed down, you will have no input here.

Extreme focus on process while calling ourselves an agile shop. Seriously, we are agile with waterfall on top!

Advice to Management

The new CEO should decapitate the technology organization, Sr. director and up. Implement 360 degree reviews.

Sr. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Getty Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company constantly experiments with new technology. People are approachable and nice.

Cons

Frequent changes with the processes. Some extreme agile processes like pairing are followed which may not be productive in the all scenarios. People in the management roles don't leave or get promoted so there are no opportunities if you want to go higher in the management roles.

Sales Execuitve

I have been working at Getty Images full-time

Pros

Great benefits,work environment, solid product

Cons

changes too much to fast

Advice to Management

Change is ok, but do a better job of preparing for it.

Surprisingly Sexist

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Getty Images

Pros

Fun at times, atmosphere, great website, great content.

Cons

Fratt house atmosphere, seriously unhappy and stilted/stagnant career opportunity. If you didn't already have a great base, you were never going to have one.

Advice to Management

Start over.

Constant and unproductive change

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Getty Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great bunch of people - quite a few who are very passionate about upholding the integrity of photography
    Amazing talent - get to work with some of the most talented photographers in the world
    Potential to be a great business, market leader

Cons

Constant change that seems to reflect a lack of direction resulting in people regularly being made redundant
    Levels of process that delay projects and people in key positions who are roadblocks to getting things done

Advice to Management

Come up with a strategy and stick to it, give strategies and plans a chance to be successful. Realise that a broad range of differing opinions can be a positive, remove all the processes and people that are a barrier to getting things done.

Excessive Workload and Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Getty Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation for the industry with good benefits. Opportunities to work on a variety of technologies along side dedicated co-workers.

Cons

Excessive workloads and no work/life balance. Few advancement and training opportunities. Reorganizations without clear objectives and highly political environment resulting in lots of staff turnover. Lack of business discipline and tight budgets limit options. Poor or unknown management/executive decision making methodologies.

Advice to Management

Hire additional staff to properly manage workload
    Implement engineering discipline and methodologies
    Commit to operational excellent
    Listen to staff feedback

Nice place to work but no where to go

Former Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Former Employee - New York in New York, NY

I worked at Getty Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and warm coworkers
    Exposure-- you get to work with a really broad scope of media and media companies, great for networking
    There is a huge plus to working for the clear leader in an industry.
    Lots of different kinds of projects to work on will definitely keep you busy and interested

Cons

The knowledge base of the sales force can be a real challenge
    Politics
    Processes--very ticket/process oriented
    Ridiculous targets
    Leadership rarely acknowledges work
    You'll really have to fight and vocalize your worth and accomplishments

Advice to Management

I think investing in the future of the company by rewarding people who really add value, many of the best people there are continually overlooked until they go else where.

RSS Feed </> Embed