Getty Images Reviews

Reset
3.2
Getty Images Co-Founder & CEO Jonathan D. Klein
Jonathan D. Klein

Pros
  • Really, really great work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• You get to work with some great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower-level decisions are frequently overridden by senior management, who may not be very competent in these matters (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management is not tech-savvy (in 8 reviews)

1. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Getty Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Teamwork, Leadership, Compensation, Agility

Cons

Rate of change, retention, communication

2. Great environment - narrow mobility

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Getty Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leader in the industry. Decent base pay, especially for the industry. Great people and opportunities to work excellent events around the world. If working in the field, great perks, benefits, and travel policies. Office culture is relaxed and welcoming.

Cons

Limited vertical mobility. Many employees are relatively young and will hold their jobs for a while. Very divided among offices (by location) and the different groups (sport, news, entertainment) and there is a big gap between sales and editorial. If working in the field, work-life balance is bad.

Good people, great product, horrible management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Getty Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product is great, you get to work with the world's best photography and photographer's. The people below the VP level are also great, lots of hard-working, intelligent and talented people trying to do their best every day.

Cons

The upper level management is completely out of touch. Turnover in management (that leads to countless staff being let go or quitting) is ridiculous. The Executive Committee seems intent on bringing in something new and shiny rather than listening to and promoting the current staff who actually understand the business. The "leadership principles" may be great on paper, but the politics, backstabbing, and complete and utter disregard for the staff shows that they are not put into practice. Business goals are changes at least quarterly, with the entire marketing department going through a complete reorganization at least once (and often twice) a year based on the latest head of marketing. Staff turnover is extremely high, people get frustrated by the constant change and poor management or are pushed out by insecure executives.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, not the executive committee, but the ones actually doing the work every day. You have lost countless numbers of amazing staff over the years (myself included). Your employees WANT to work there, and want it to be a great company, but your management gets in the way.

Image sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Getty Images

Pros

Freedom, creativity. Possible to make good money if you get in with the right person and play their game

Cons

Low prices per image, very hard to make money unless you are sent out on paid assignments. Too many favorites get the best jobs. est jobs go to photogs that are willing to kick something back to some of the assignment people.

Advice to Management

clean house

Abysmal lack of direction and competent leadership

I have been working at Getty Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are generally pleasant but there is a pervasive culture of complacency and lack of drive. Most people come in late, do a mediocre job and leave early. If you're looking for growth and mentorship, this is not your place. If you're looking for a paycheck and work-life balance it is.

Cons

The company is constantly reinventing itself! This churn is acute at the individual contributor level and exacerbated by a largely apathetic and antiquated management team. Further, there is an utter lack of clarity around new initiatives or consensus from management on the goals and desired outcomes.

Advice to Management

If you were all on the same page and were candid about your expectations (and how they were derived) I think there would be a lot less attrition and malaise. Further, we expect you to be focused on driving our business (partners, revenue opps, emerging, etc.) and not micromanaging areas of the business you have little to no experience with. You hired us for our expertise, so let us demonstrate it!

Commercial Manager

I worked at Getty Images full-time

Pros

great culture amongst employees was really great

Cons

lay offs happened too often

Come work with us at a glacial pace!

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Getty Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT work life balance! Great imagery around the office. We attract pretty smart people but they leave us quickly. Not much is expected of you as a developer.

Cons

Fixated on our one competitor instead of our fleeing customers. Getty has stayed relevant buy buying competitors, over 100 of them in the last 20 years. Now we have a competitor that we couldn't buy due to HUGE debt from going 'private' and we don't know HOW to compete. They're eating our lunch. There is an article on the cash state of the company by Bloomberg a few months ago. You should read it before considering Getty for employment. You can divide Getty into two bands of employees, those that have been at the company for 10+ years and those that have been there for less than 3. The turnover is really amazing. We hire bright people and then fire them when they try to do anything different or they leave when they realize how slow we move. We have a TON of technical debt from all of the mergers that we have patched together with duct tape and bailing wire over the years. Code base is a joke, come work as a senior developer in PHP! We are stuck in the 90's with our management style too, top down leadership all the way. Decisions are made and pushed down, you will have no input here. Extreme focus on process while calling ourselves an agile shop. Seriously, we are agile with waterfall on top!

Advice to Management

The new CEO should decapitate the technology organization, Sr. director and up. Implement 360 degree reviews.

Surprisingly Sexist

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Getty Images

Pros

Fun at times, atmosphere, great website, great content.

Cons

Fratt house atmosphere, seriously unhappy and stilted/stagnant career opportunity. If you didn't already have a great base, you were never going to have one.

Advice to Management

Start over.

Sales Execuitve

I have been working at Getty Images full-time

Pros

Great benefits,work environment, solid product

Cons

changes too much to fast

Advice to Management

Change is ok, but do a better job of preparing for it.

Sr. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Getty Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company constantly experiments with new technology. People are approachable and nice.

Cons

Frequent changes with the processes. Some extreme agile processes like pairing are followed which may not be productive in the all scenarios. People in the management roles don't leave or get promoted so there are no opportunities if you want to go higher in the management roles.

RSS Feed </> Embed