GfK MRI
www.gfkmri.com New York, NY 50 to 149 Employees

GfK MRI Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
GfK MRI – New York – “GfKMRI & GfK NA NYC Office Building as of Nov 2013”

Florian Kahlert

Transition to GfK-owned company has seen many perks taken away

New York, NY

ProsSummer days, better raises, bigger bonuses, shorter hours, better benefits and a health plan, and a casual, comfortable atmosphere...

Cons...all of these pros were casualties of the transition to a full GfK company. :(

Since being apart of GfK there are a lot of changes that make this place hard to work for. No clear path for employees.

Project Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGfK MRI employees are very friendly and talented.

ConsSince becoming ONE GfK we have more work hours with no compenstation increase, the office is a mission to get to, after getting off at any stop nearby it is at least a 12 minute walk. The office itself is dirty and either very cold or hot. There is no room for growth. There are constant changes and not for the best for MRI.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the career paths of your employees and what they would like to do. Doing that and working with them would keep them around longer.

uchhhhhhhh

ProsOverall, the people are really great: Smart, funny, and a pleasure to work with.

ConsThe upper management, especially in the research department, are awful. They lie, are incompetent, and help foster resentment and disdain from their employees. Additionally, the location is sub-par and it is a long walk to any of the subways.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can't recommend the place

New York, NY

ProsFree coffee in the NY office, good name to have on your resume. Nice diversity of people with different skill sets to work with and learn from.

ConsUnprofessionalism is abound. Poor leadership with the inability to execute and stay focused. Non-existent hr department. Communication and the lack of it is dependent on the managing director of that unit.

Parent Company doesn't know what to do with us. But what they are doing is bad for business!

(Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsA good bunch of employees, company is solid and if left to breath a little will remain so, that is up to GfK Corporate however. They are flexible on time, one of the only thing GfKMRI management have to work with since everything else has been stripped away from them. If you have been with company a few years you can ask for a work from home day a week. But don't expect that in your first year.

ConsEver since they moved GfKRMI and the sister companies to its new location at 200 Liberty St in Battery Park things have been going down hill. GfK imposed a 40 hour work week from our previous 35 hour work week and no salary compensation was made, they got 5 hours a week out of us for free. They took away some personal days, the summer days you read by another reviewer here are now gone after 2013, the 401k match has dropped to 3% if you put in 6%, they moved us to an area of Manhattan that has been attacked by terrorists twice, under water & with out electricity and mass transit for a week from a Super Storm and now in a constant state of construction for at least the next 10 years. It dusty, crowded and noisy, ya it Manhattan but this is more so than the rest of the island. for at least 90% of the staff it added 30 additional minutes in each direction on to our commutes. And lunch is very expensive in this area with Wall St. near by. The office space themselves are cramped, all open space cubes, we went from 65% having offices to less than 12% having offices. The bathrooms are a mess, they cut down on cleaning services and put us into a location with more people but less toilets. If you're not done with your "business" before 12pm good luck, because there is probably no toilet paper left OR there is crap (no pun) all over the place. This is partly because of a few idiots working here I know but it is also the first sign of a disgruntled staff, no cameras in bathroom so they strike out against the company in there. O ya, they water down the hand soap, it is effectively all water, not kidding pretty sad.

And yes, the politics crap you read from the other reviewers, they are still here but then again its like that anywhere you go so I really don't ding GfKMRI for that. Just learn to play the game.

Last but not least, if you have any desires to work hard and be recognized for your efforts with bonuses and promotions, this is NOT the place for you. There are people here who are on there 15+ anniversary with this company and have the same title as when they started. A VERY small handful of staff get promoted and the reason is there is no room for promotion here. Other note, they love to keep head count low here at GfKMRI, so as employees tend to leave its not uncommon to see the position be split up and assigned to others as "temporary" until they replace the position and low and behold the position never gets filled and you have done such a great job of taking on the new work that it is now part of your daily duties, with no pay increase.

If after all that, you do decide to work here, do yourself a favor keep it to no more than 3 years before you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is more to the GfK North America & Nuremberg (HQ) management than the GfKMRI management as GfKMRI folks have been effectively castrated from any abilities to help there employees and its by design from the GfK North America Managers. Stop expecting blood from a stone, GfKMRI is your most profitable and productive entity in your portfolio of companies in North America, give them a break. If you keep bleeding them you will be left with a shell of a company as all your best staff jump like rats on a sinking ship. Look at your non-profitable entities and try to right them to bring up profits, or if they are not fixable do the right thing and cull them. Although you show all the signs of not caring a bit about your staff, but if you care about revenue & profit and we know that's all you you do care about, then ease up or you lose.

Also, Kathi Love is NOT the CEO here anymore, she left in Feb 2013 after 13 successful years with the company as CEO. There is no more CEO position anymore, it has been replaced by a Managing Director role which is held by Florian Kahlert, who it would seem has a closed door policy and just about never comes out of his office to talk to anyone.

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsHow lucky am I to have the opportunity of working for GfK MRI. I've got the nicest boss, awesome collegues and decent pay (as long as I enjoy my job). The management board does take everyone's opinions into consideration. Especially Kathi, our CEO is always kind to everyone in the company. I am saddened to hear that she is leaving us. Best luck and happiness to her in her new life path.

ConsAgain, limited opportunity for growth. You might have multiple job loads for one single job title.
    Maybe at least we can have job title changes?

Advice to Senior ManagementSince everyone in the company works beyond their job title. Managers also do the same. Thus, they are as busy as everyone else in the company. However, this is not an excuse to not evaluate everyone else's work. "Give credit when credit is due." Time to promote or have their titles changed!

Great place to work!

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsReally nice people, great environment, very friendly and approachable demeanors, great place to learn. A very caring CEO!

ConsVery limited room to grow

One of the best research companies in the United States!

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe Survey of the American Consumer is the largest single source database in the U.S. Almost every advertising agency in the country subscribes to this database. The company continues to emerge from the recession thanks to the strong client renewal rate. The company overall is offers great benefits and plenty of time off.

ConsThe core business comes from the magazine industry and as the ad revenue continues to decline it will be harder for GfK MRI to exceed revenue targets. Opportunities for growth are few and the politics of a little company are awful. I suggest watching your back every step of the way if you work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to motivate your people and not compete against them. Respect the sales people. The sales team is on the front lines everyday making sure the company continues to grow.

My review of Mediamark Research

Client Services (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBest reasons to work are the benefits and time flexibilities. The atmosphere is friendly if you minus the politics. The benefits include matched 401k up to 5%, medical benefits are ok, we get 4 fridays or mondays off every summer and vacations are carried over until the June of every year.

ConsVery poor management and communications, no advancements, salary is below average and raises and bonuses are discriminitive. There is too much politics within the office that prevents certain people from advancing and it is mostly within the Sales department and involves the head of sales people.
    In terms of communication, there isnt any. Usually we know about important updates to software or data few days before and have to rush to prepare. If something goes wrong within the office, it is not managed well enough to fix the problem instead the blame game starts along with more politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think senior management needs to stop playing the political game and really start in improving in work ethics. There are many employees who dont know whats going on within the company and many employees are left out of the loop. Also management needs to give everyone an equal opportunity to advance, there is too much favoritism when it comes to perks and career advancements.

Worked for GfK MRI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GfK MRI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GfK MRI CEO Florian Kahlert . All 9 reviews posted anonymously by GfK MRI employees.