GfK Reviews

Reset
3.2
GfK CEO Matthias Hartmann
Matthias Hartmann

Pros
  • good work/life balance, polite management staff (in 8 reviews)

• The GfK is a growing market research company with a footprint in many countries (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of work in excel but the work-life balance is good (in 9 reviews)

• salary is low if you are not in the senior management position (in 9 reviews)

1. GfK is awesome if you make it so.

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at GfK

Pros

Hard work is rewarded here. This place moves pretty fast, so it pays to sit up, pay attention, and take copious notes. On-boarding is pretty serious here (at least it was in my division), and there is a very STEEP learning curve. However, even if you lack needed skills, if you a) give a crap, b) try hard and c) follow instructions, you should be fine. Personally, I LOVE my job. I learn something new every day and unlike other research firms, GfK feels "academic," and that is a good thing. Methodology is taken very seriously here. As someone who formerly worked for a very small research firm with totally half-baked data, this is of the utmost importance to me (and to our clients). `

Cons

People (meaning managers) definitely have their favorites here. If you're not one, you'll know it. I do think, though, that those who work hard and show enthusiasm are the favorites (which is normal), but I can see how it can easily kill the morale of others. Biggest CON - TOO MANY MEETINGS. We have WAY too many "company-wide" meetings. We just went through a re-org, which is fine, but stop with the excessive meetings that take up 90 minutes (90 minutes!!!!!) of my day. It is an EPIC waste of time and no one pays attention. We just all sit in the room with our laptops working (er...panicking...because we are STUCK in a 90 minute meeting that we can't get out of. Stop that *ish. Really). Also, Human Resources here is a joke. They are completely and totally incompetent, which I find just unacceptable. Never answering emails; never getting things done on time. I always hear people complaining about how slow their job searches are because HR can't find the right resumes for them. Really? There are SO many applicants who want to work here. Do your job, HR. (I would not trust them with a 10 foot pole).

Advice to Management

Please, or the love of god, STOP WITH THE MEETINGS. They are excessive. Everyone HATES them. Total morale killer. Please.stop. HR - get it together. Many of us really love working here but you guys are terrible.

2. Great learning experience

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GfK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to grow and stretch yourself. Lots of different types of projects so you get exposure quickly. Organization looks to increase your level of responsibility as you demonstrate your ability.

Cons

Unfortunately, increased responsibility sites not come with equivalent or appropriate compensation. Tradeoff is between title increases and monetary compensation. This causes the firm to lose experienced talented people to competitors.

Advice to Management

Pay your talented employees markets value and this firm will go to the top.

3. UX - Good experience, low pay

Current Employee - Senior Research Director
    Current Employee - Senior Research Director

I have been working at GfK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to learn core user research skills. UX Group leadership team cares about employees and their career growth. UX Group also deeply concerned about delivering high quality services to their clients.

Cons

GfK corporate does not demonstrate any actions that make employees feel valued. GfK Corporate focused on financials and process, not people. Resourcing is inefficient and leads to burnout. UX group employees are demotivated and have limited space to be creative.

Advice to Management

Focus more on people or continue to have significant turnover at 2-3 yr mark.

5. Great culture!

I have been working at GfK

Pros

I am fairly new here, but everyone on my team is really great. Seems like a fun bunch that works hard to reach goals, but maintains a good sense of humor. Also, seems to be a great work/life balance.

Cons

Some of the technology offered to employees is a bit outdated.

6. Research Director

Current Employee - Research Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GfK (Less than a year)

Pros

Being part of a matrix organization with many resources for custom project design.

Cons

It is difficult to advance professionally.

Advice to Management

Utilization is important, though all of the processes required are very time-consuming

GfK Boutique Research amazing career ops

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at GfK

Pros

Fast growth in the last 5 years have provided a lot of opportunity to take on new roles and wear a lot of hats. The team is truly global and you will interact with colleagues in Europe and Asia on a daily basis in many cases. The main client base of hedge funds is dynamic and exciting to work with. Great crew of people that really try to help each other be better.

Cons

The fast growth mentioned above has created bandwidth challenges with everyone working hard to hit a lot of targets. Moving really quickly can be hard, but in the end is usually worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your troops, be a presence f2f with your teams in other offices at least 2-3 times a year.

Could be a strong organization with great potential if they were more forward-thinking

I have been working at GfK full-time

Pros

Global organization that encourages collaboration across divisions, which is the main strength of GfK - the ability to offer comprehensive research and marketing services through a single POC.

Cons

Organization is behind the times, very slow moving. The pay is abysmal, but their strategy seems to be to find people who will work for pennies and burn them out rather than invest in quality talent.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth.

9. AVP

I worked at GfK

Pros

Filled with smart people who know research and think creatively to solve client issues

Cons

Too many reorganizations over the past two years.

10. Great Company

Current Employee - Human Resource
    Current Employee - Human Resource

I have been working at GfK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was really disappointed with the poor reviews because I can, in all honestly say that I LOVE my job here. The people you work with show you the utmost respect at all times. They are very accommodating and are very flexible with things like working from home, remote work, and individual needs.

Cons

I know that the pay can be a bit lower for certain positions, so I understand that, but if you do well here, you will see a bump in salary. I will also take the positive environment and the sense of sanity I get here any day over another company who will pay me a little more but stress me out all of the time.

Advice to Management

My manager, personally, is the greatest and I cannot speak on behalf of all the other managers.

11. Good compensation, office culture more quiet

I worked at GfK

Pros

Good compensation for an intern position, everyone in the office was incredibly friendly and helpful

Cons

Not too much of collaborative environment, lots of alone time

RSS Feed </> Embed