Ghirardelli Chocolate

www.ghirardelli.com

Ghirardelli Chocolate Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Ghirardelli Chocolate – “Ghirardelli Employees”

Ghirardelli Chocolate President & CEO Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

Delicious and Rewarding!

Marketing (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThis is one of the best companies I’ve worked for and the longest one I’ve been with. Working at Ghirardelli is extremely satisfying and enjoyable especially when the people you work with share the same passionate about the product (chocolate!) as you do. Being a mid-size company you get your hands on a variety of highly visible projects. As a result, you get to have a lot of ownership and decision making power within your business.

During the course of my career I’ve had the pleasure to work for and with some fantastic managers. I know this is not the case for everyone or every department but overall I have really appreciated my managers. I am constantly learning and being challenged on a regular basis. There's rarely a dull moment and two days are never the same which keeps the work exciting and engaging.

Last but certainly not least chocolate is everywhere! You begin to develop a very refined palate and form a strong appreciation for sophisticated flavors and complimentary ingredient combinations. An added perk is giving your feedback on new flavor development.

ConsYou do have to be comfortable managing lots of changes and working at a fairly fast pace. Timelines are rarely standard and most projects are extremely rushed. This motivates some people but makes others miserable and those they work with frustrated.

The office is a bit dated and does not reflect the premium image of the brand therefore making it difficult to host outside business partners with pride.

The location isn’t much better mostly because there are not a lot of lunch options and you need to drive just to go out. That being said the company is generous about providing catered meals for lunch meetings.

Finally, not sure if this is really a con but being surrounded by premium chocolate you inevitably become a “chocolate snob” and have difficulty enjoying mainstream chocolate and average desserts ever again.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know that we are a very strong and fast growing company with a focus on innovation but there seems to be a lack of urgency to invest in additional headcount within key departments. Many departments appear to run too lean making it challenging to keep up with an ambitious product pipeline.

Established company, going through growing pains

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe company hires very dedicated and passionate people. There is a very strong belief in the brand and an energy to make the company's mission statement come to life. Overall, the people who work at the company are friendly and inviting. The benefit plan is excellent and the employee contribution rates are relatively low. Flexible Time Off policy is generous; 401k plan with company match is very generous. Some departments have created a great team atmosphere. More processes are being put into place that should make the work flow better.

ConsThe growth of the company is strong, which means that there is a lot of pressure on departments and individuals to always be delivering. Work-life balance is encouraged in word but not necessarily by action; expect to receive emails and voice mails on days off, weekends, nights with an implied response expected. Being a smaller company, there is not much room for upward growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowth opportunities are important at any level, career pathing is important to people - what is next? Encourage more open door communication in all departments as some are still road blocked from expressing their opinions.

Not a bad place for a college job

Chocolateer (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

Prosgreat starting pay. the recipes are simple to learn. free ice cream and/or chocolate

Conscan get very, very low hours. favoritism may come into place. on- calls

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Corporate Culture and People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Work-life balance, training, great leaders. CEO and Executive team are heavily involved and are open to suggestions and new ideas to help company growth. Everyone is passionate and hard working which creates a stellar work force with the same big picture in mind.

Consnone that I can think of at this point

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my experience, all of the management that I've met and worked with have the same drive and passion that has helped Ghirardelli's growth. There are many amazing people that work for this company and I feel very lucky that I'm surrounded with such talent! With that said, my only advice to management is keep up the synergy!

Great People. Great Product. A company that values people.

Engineer (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsGhirardelli is a socially responsible company that while not perfect, puts great emphasis on the well being of it's people. In short, Ghirardelli culture values a work-life balance.

ConsGhirardelli is a mid-sized company going through some growing pains which may hinder those who cannot perform without a perfect roadmap. I say it is this variability that allows someone to shine.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to place importance in the growth of your employees, this will attract and more importantly keep top talent.

A Good Company

Manager (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe people are the best thing about the company, there is a really great group of people who interact with you on a daily basis. Additionally the company geniunely cares about its employees and has a really nice benefit package. The work-life balance is also pretty good compared to other companies I've worked for. Employees are given a lot of responsibility.

ConsBeing a smaller company there is not as much upward mobility as you'll find at larger businesses. Some of the training is lacking and will need to be improved as the company continues to grow.

Finally, a company with a culture that is both performance-oriented but also cares about its employees' personally

Manager (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsPersonal development is valued; work/life balance is excellent; workforce is welcoming friendly, and supportive; strong diversity of ages, ethnicities, backgrounds makes for a great blend of perspectives; there is food and fun EVERY day--it's too good to be true but my waistline begs to differ; small company feel but big company stability; everyone at a cocktail party loves to talk to you about your company; they are very open to new ideas and give you the support and encouragement to innovate; benefits package

ConsSome internal processes are cumbersome or outdated and not enough support staff or modern systems; the physical office space is a bit cramped though it's cozy in a good way too

Ghirardelli inspires Passion

Senior Trade Marketing Manager (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsGhirardelli is a small company that works to play about it's weight. It attracts passionate, intelligent people who enjoy working in a collaborative atmosphere. Since the company is growing, there are opportunities to grow within the job or into a new job. Unlike a traditional CPG company, you're not asked to move to different locations to further your career. Time-off is flexible FTO, combining work and sick time, so it adds up to be more than the traditional vacation time off.

ConsChallenges with Ghirardelli is that it is very fast-paced and does not yet have great process in place. It's not a training company so if you come in, expect to learn by doing and pick up things quickly.

Best decision I have made in my career so far....

Supervisor (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsI can't not say I don't love the free chocolate in the conference rooms...however the benefits are the best. I know since I have started the company has really worked to improve employee culture and I think it's working, we have great interactive and team building outings. I get along with my team and department really really well.

ConsI know their was a lot of work done on the compensation side last year, however I still don't feel I get compensated for the work I put in. I get along with my manager really well, however sometimes I am not sure if she feels I am capable of advancing and that is why I am still in my role. I don't know where I am "going" in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so concerned with losing the youngest person in the group, as you might lose the older more senior person.

Where your contributions make an impact and are recognized

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsGhirardelli is an environment that is collaborative, fast-paced and drives decision making down to individual contributor levels. The size of the organization allows for each person in their role to make impactful decisions that are recognized all of the way to the CEO. The culture is evolving and the way of working becomes more progressive as time ticks on. Plus, who wouldn't want to smell the aroma of sweet chocolate permeating throughout the walls while they work?

ConsThe size of the company is growing however, we are still a smaller organization-creating moments where you will spend time on more administrative projects or day to day work. You have to dedicate the time to finding ways to manage this inevitable in this size organization.

Worked for Ghirardelli Chocolate? Contribute to the Community!