Ghirardelli Chocolate
www.ghirardelli.com San Leandro, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Ghirardelli Chocolate Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
Ghirardelli Chocolate – “Ghirardelli Employees”

Ghirardelli Chocolate President & CEO Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

A Fun Experience

Sales & Retail (Former Employee)
San Leandro, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe best part of working for this company was the people. I worked for the corporate office in San Leandro and everyone was great. Lots of events to go to, benefits were good, and the atmosphere was right. New CSM was awesome!

ConsFormer boss made up her own rules and didn't know how to communicate with her staff. Didn't get a raise until I decided to leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep up to date with your reviews and promotions, because there are some who really deserve the extra increase and acknowledgement. Speak to you employees even the ones working in Latrhop. Dispense some Giants tickets to them and not just management.

Best place to work!!

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

ProsThere is chocolate every where! The parking lot smells like chocolate! The culture is supportive, they are making efforts to modernize and really invest in their people. Projects I've received have been challenging and rewarding! I like the feeling of a small to midsize company. It's much easier to feel connected and get to know your colleagues. You don't feel like one of many.

ConsWe are growing, so parking is an issue, and not a lot of choices for places to eat around San Leandro for lunch. The work environment is business casual, but with the direction most companies are headed, it would be nice if we could be less formal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a lot to modernize our organization, and this is the direction we should keep heading.

Constantly Challenged in a Positive Way

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat atmosphere to work in. Excellent company benefits. Ghirardelli works hard to create a positive employee atmosphere that encourages a promote from within environment.

ConsMaintaining a work/life balance can be difficult to achieve. Employee yearly review process is very stressful to complete.

Management

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate

ProsFree Chocolate and all the overtime you want.

ConsNo work life balance. The company constantly are forcing people to work every weekend. The company does not care how days you worked straight.All the company cares about is production.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people not slaves.

Inconsistent treatment of employees at Ghirardelli

Store Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree chocolate if you want it...

ConsNo work/life balance for management, high turnover for store managers, senior management unaware of what happens in stores, favoritism prevelant, they get a lot of value and work out of you for the money they pay you, which turns into a bargain for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake surprise visits to stores to see what really happens

Love it because its great

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate as an intern

ProsIt's the best chocolate in the universe

ConsThere are no cons at all

One of the best jobs i ever had!

Senior Designer (Former Employee)
San Leandro, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork/Life Balance, Respect, Friendliness, Pride of Work, Annual Bonus

ConsNot a lot career advancements, work can be tedious, inner office politics

Advice to Senior ManagementInspire those that you manage

too MANY LANGUAGES

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for less than a year

Prossome of the people are nice

Consif new frowned on by high senority

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN

Would not encourage others to work here.

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate

ProsDelicious chocolate products, 3 weeks PTO, 401k match, central location in the bay area, good for commuting.

ConsExtreme favor-tism of some employees, weak management, no communication within the company.

Many employees leave the company after a few years -- repeated stress with little recognition. Employees that deliver no results are often promoted because they are politically strong. Results mean nothing - your political abilities are most important here. Other employees just check out and do the minimum. Every task is difficult to get done.

Management will not communicate directly with employees with any meaningful information. In fact, they are visibly uncomfortable or try to hide information if asked. The management team is somewhat of a black hole - and they are very unfamiliar with their own business. They rely very heavily on junior employees to pull the weight of the company and justify every decision. Long term planning is not possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and forward with communication. Get involved int he work - don't just stand by and criticize.

Working at Ghirardelli Chocolate

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate

ProsAlways able to have some chocolate if you want to. If you work in the marketing department, you likely will be promoted.

ConsUpper management does not follow through with promises made. Many individuals do not take responsibility for their actions and try to place blame on someone/something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership should be just that, be more informative and follow through with what you say. Talk to your employees and and lead them in the direction you expect them to go.

Worked for Ghirardelli Chocolate? Contribute to the Community!

Ghirardelli Chocolate Videos

Ghirardelli Chocolate – Why Work for Us?

Ghirardelli At A Glance So what sets us apart? Since 1852, Ghirardelli has created a legacy of creativity that sets our company apart from our competitors. Today, our innovative heritage continues to thrive, as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ghirardelli Chocolate reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ghirardelli Chocolate CEO Martin Thompson. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Ghirardelli Chocolate employees.