Ghirardelli Chocolate

www.ghirardelli.com

Ghirardelli Chocolate Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Ghirardelli Chocolate – “Ghirardelli Employees”

Ghirardelli Chocolate President & CEO Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

Good Employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe company is growing and moving forward in the right direction (but that comes with growing pains). Management is open to new ideas and changes that will benefit the company and the people.
    Pros-
    1. The people. You get to work with AMAZING people not just in your department but in others.
    2. Benefits. The package is really good for the size of the company. Management thinks about the employee's well-being and not what is 'cheap' to the company
    3. Security. I felt safe working at Ghirardelli because of the security measures put in place. I'm never worried when I leave late at night or start early in the morning when its still dark
    4. Free chocolate!

ConsThere is a separation between the employees in production and in the corporate office. Both departments need to come together as ONE.
    Cons-
    1. Salary. Great if you're a new hire, not so good if you've been there for years and no adjustment with additional responsibilities
    2. Room for growth/ promotions in certain departments
    3. Some departments are favored more than others

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing but take more time to listen and observe the hard-workers in Production and Retail not just Corporate employees.

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's an iconic brand with strong equity and a ton of upside in the market. Their focus on quality means you always have an advantage when selling.

ConsOne of the biggest challenges is the relationship with the parent company. Ghirardelli is clearly the strategic leader in the portfolio, which must be intimidating to the other units.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarty Thompson is a dynamic CEO with a strong sales background. Keep pushing and keep leading within the broader organization.

Supportive team and management and we make chocolate! What’s not to love!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsManagement is very approachable and everyone is the building is nice and easy to work with. Everyday brings different challenges so you have to like and be ready to adapt to change to work here. Once you think you know how something works- it changes.

ConsThis is more than a 9-5 job for 80% of the people who work here. There will be late nights and early mornings. None of this is mandated by your manager, but it is really the only way to get the work load done especially at busy times of the year when there are projects on top of your everyday workload that is non-stop. The impression given is that we should have work life balance but it is hard to walk away and leave work undone.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more support staff to provide more balance to the work load and let key people grown the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Delicious and Rewarding!

Marketing (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThis is one of the best companies I’ve worked for and the longest one I’ve been with. Working at Ghirardelli is extremely satisfying and enjoyable especially when the people you work with share the same passionate about the product (chocolate!) as you do. Being a mid-size company you get your hands on a variety of highly visible projects. As a result, you get to have a lot of ownership and decision making power within your business.

During the course of my career I’ve had the pleasure to work for and with some fantastic managers. I know this is not the case for everyone or every department but overall I have really appreciated my managers. I am constantly learning and being challenged on a regular basis. There's rarely a dull moment and two days are never the same which keeps the work exciting and engaging.

Last but certainly not least chocolate is everywhere! You begin to develop a very refined palate and form a strong appreciation for sophisticated flavors and complimentary ingredient combinations. An added perk is giving your feedback on new flavor development.

ConsYou do have to be comfortable managing lots of changes and working at a fairly fast pace. Timelines are rarely standard and most projects are extremely rushed. This motivates some people but makes others miserable and those they work with frustrated.

The office is a bit dated and does not reflect the premium image of the brand therefore making it difficult to host outside business partners with pride.

The location isn’t much better mostly because there are not a lot of lunch options and you need to drive just to go out. That being said the company is generous about providing catered meals for lunch meetings.

Finally, not sure if this is really a con but being surrounded by premium chocolate you inevitably become a “chocolate snob” and have difficulty enjoying mainstream chocolate and average desserts ever again.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know that we are a very strong and fast growing company with a focus on innovation but there seems to be a lack of urgency to invest in additional headcount within key departments. Many departments appear to run too lean making it challenging to keep up with an ambitious product pipeline.

Fun work environment that is undercut by poor management and over-scheduled employees.

Chocolateer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFree access to chocolate, ice cream.
    Friendly, enthusiastic environment to work in
    Competitive pay

ConsNon-existent benefits
    Poor management
    Stressful during peak hours when the confectionery is full
    Corporate can be cut-throat/brutal to employees if they do not maintain the Company's image and work ethic. Corporate management can fire you on the spot if you make a mistake
    Hours are non-negotiable. Volatile scheduling. You must be available to work "on-call"

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employee's scheduling requests. I requested to work part-time, 20-25 hours a week. By the 4th week I was scheduled to work 38 hours.

It seems that there is a disconnect between the corporate management and the general manager/supervisors.

Not a bad place for a college job

Chocolateer (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

Prosgreat starting pay. the recipes are simple to learn. free ice cream and/or chocolate

Conscan get very, very low hours. favoritism may come into place. on- calls

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees more

Great Corporate Culture and People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Work-life balance, training, great leaders. CEO and Executive team are heavily involved and are open to suggestions and new ideas to help company growth. Everyone is passionate and hard working which creates a stellar work force with the same big picture in mind.

Consnone that I can think of at this point

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my experience, all of the management that I've met and worked with have the same drive and passion that has helped Ghirardelli's growth. There are many amazing people that work for this company and I feel very lucky that I'm surrounded with such talent! With that said, my only advice to management is keep up the synergy!

Established company, going through growing pains

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe company hires very dedicated and passionate people. There is a very strong belief in the brand and an energy to make the company's mission statement come to life. Overall, the people who work at the company are friendly and inviting. The benefit plan is excellent and the employee contribution rates are relatively low. Flexible Time Off policy is generous; 401k plan with company match is very generous. Some departments have created a great team atmosphere. More processes are being put into place that should make the work flow better.

ConsThe growth of the company is strong, which means that there is a lot of pressure on departments and individuals to always be delivering. Work-life balance is encouraged in word but not necessarily by action; expect to receive emails and voice mails on days off, weekends, nights with an implied response expected. Being a smaller company, there is not much room for upward growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowth opportunities are important at any level, career pathing is important to people - what is next? Encourage more open door communication in all departments as some are still road blocked from expressing their opinions.

Great People. Great Product. A company that values people.

Engineer (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsGhirardelli is a socially responsible company that while not perfect, puts great emphasis on the well being of it's people. In short, Ghirardelli culture values a work-life balance.

ConsGhirardelli is a mid-sized company going through some growing pains which may hinder those who cannot perform without a perfect roadmap. I say it is this variability that allows someone to shine.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to place importance in the growth of your employees, this will attract and more importantly keep top talent.

A Good Company

Manager (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe people are the best thing about the company, there is a really great group of people who interact with you on a daily basis. Additionally the company geniunely cares about its employees and has a really nice benefit package. The work-life balance is also pretty good compared to other companies I've worked for. Employees are given a lot of responsibility.

ConsBeing a smaller company there is not as much upward mobility as you'll find at larger businesses. Some of the training is lacking and will need to be improved as the company continues to grow.

Worked for Ghirardelli Chocolate? Contribute to the Community!