Ghirardelli Chocolate

Delicious and Rewarding!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is one of the best companies I’ve worked for and the longest one I’ve been with. Working at Ghirardelli is extremely satisfying and enjoyable especially when the people you work with share the same passionate about the product (chocolate!) as you do. Being a mid-size company you get your hands on a variety of highly visible projects. As a result, you get to have a lot of ownership and decision making power within your business.

During the course of my career I’ve had the pleasure to work for and with some fantastic managers. I know this is not the case for everyone or every department but overall I have really appreciated my managers. I am constantly learning and being challenged on a regular basis. There's rarely a dull moment and two days are never the same which keeps the work exciting and engaging.

Last but certainly not least chocolate is everywhere! You begin to develop a very refined palate and form a strong appreciation for sophisticated flavors and complimentary ingredient combinations. An added perk is giving your feedback on new flavor development.

Cons

You do have to be comfortable managing lots of changes and working at a fairly fast pace. Timelines are rarely standard and most projects are extremely rushed. This motivates some people but makes others miserable and those they work with frustrated.

The office is a bit dated and does not reflect the premium image of the brand therefore making it difficult to host outside business partners with pride.

The location isn’t much better mostly because there are not a lot of lunch options and you need to drive just to go out. That being said the company is generous about providing catered meals for lunch meetings.

Finally, not sure if this is really a con but being surrounded by premium chocolate you inevitably become a “chocolate snob” and have difficulty enjoying mainstream chocolate and average desserts ever again.

We know that we are a very strong and fast growing company with a focus on innovation but there seems to be a lack of urgency to invest in additional headcount within key departments. Many departments appear to run too lean making it challenging to keep up with an ambitious product pipeline.

Great Corporate Culture and People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

This is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Work-life balance, training, great leaders. CEO and Executive team are heavily involved and are open to suggestions and new ideas to help company growth. Everyone is passionate and hard working which creates a stellar work force with the same big picture in mind.

Cons

none that I can think of at this point

From my experience, all of the management that I've met and worked with have the same drive and passion that has helped Ghirardelli's growth. There are many amazing people that work for this company and I feel very lucky that I'm surrounded with such talent! With that said, my only advice to management is keep up the synergy!

Great People. Great Product. A company that values people.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ghirardelli is a socially responsible company that while not perfect, puts great emphasis on the well being of it's people. In short, Ghirardelli culture values a work-life balance.

Cons

Ghirardelli is a mid-sized company going through some growing pains which may hinder those who cannot perform without a perfect roadmap. I say it is this variability that allows someone to shine.

Continue to place importance in the growth of your employees, this will attract and more importantly keep top talent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finally, a company with a culture that is both performance-oriented but also cares about its employees' personally

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Personal development is valued; work/life balance is excellent; workforce is welcoming friendly, and supportive; strong diversity of ages, ethnicities, backgrounds makes for a great blend of perspectives; there is food and fun EVERY day--it's too good to be true but my waistline begs to differ; small company feel but big company stability; everyone at a cocktail party loves to talk to you about your company; they are very open to new ideas and give you the support and encouragement to innovate; benefits package

Cons

Some internal processes are cumbersome or outdated and not enough support staff or modern systems; the physical office space is a bit cramped though it's cozy in a good way too

Ghirardelli inspires Passion

Current Employee - Senior Trade Marketing Manager  in  San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Trade Marketing Manager in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ghirardelli is a small company that works to play about it's weight. It attracts passionate, intelligent people who enjoy working in a collaborative atmosphere. Since the company is growing, there are opportunities to grow within the job or into a new job. Unlike a traditional CPG company, you're not asked to move to different locations to further your career. Time-off is flexible FTO, combining work and sick time, so it adds up to be more than the traditional vacation time off.

Cons

Challenges with Ghirardelli is that it is very fast-paced and does not yet have great process in place. It's not a training company so if you come in, expect to learn by doing and pick up things quickly.

A faceless and nameless corporate entity that is focused on greed and profit.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a pretty easy job, great chocolate and ice cream for free.

Cons

Unless you work in California, don't expect corporate to spend much time at your store. Instead, you well be micro managed by email. Corporate is out of touch with their market, not all cities are the same and not all customers are either. GM is on his own and does whatever he wants because no one from corporate sees first had how he runs the store. There is a constant revolving door with all staff and management. Management well cut everyone to keep labor costs low, they constantly monitor this. The GM calls on his day off and tells managing staff to send everyone home, then the people working have twice as much to do and often with with out a break. GM kept restaurant open during a sewer backup and had crew snooping ice cream in standing sewar water. Favoritism is rampant here. Communication is lousy and the staff here is the least satisfied I have ever seen.

Spend more time in ALL your stores, don't take GM,'s word on how the store is actually thinking, talk to the rank and file, and know your market.... Chicago is not San Francisco.

Best place to work!!

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

There is chocolate every where! The parking lot smells like chocolate! The culture is supportive, they are making efforts to modernize and really invest in their people. Projects I've received have been challenging and rewarding! I like the feeling of a small to midsize company. It's much easier to feel connected and get to know your colleagues. You don't feel like one of many.

Cons

We are growing, so parking is an issue, and not a lot of choices for places to eat around San Leandro for lunch. The work environment is business casual, but with the direction most companies are headed, it would be nice if we could be less formal.

They are doing a lot to modernize our organization, and this is the direction we should keep heading.

Love it because its great

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate as an intern

Pros

It's the best chocolate in the universe

Cons

There are no cons at all

One of the best jobs i ever had!

Former Employee - Senior Designer  in  San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Respect, Friendliness, Pride of Work, Annual Bonus

Cons

Not a lot career advancements, work can be tedious, inner office politics

Inspire those that you manage

Sales

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's an iconic brand with strong equity and a ton of upside in the market. Their focus on quality means you always have an advantage when selling.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges is the relationship with the parent company. Ghirardelli is clearly the strategic leader in the portfolio, which must be intimidating to the other units.

Marty Thompson is a dynamic CEO with a strong sales background. Keep pushing and keep leading within the broader organization.

Worked for Ghirardelli Chocolate? Contribute to the Community!