Ghirardelli Chocolate

3.6

Ghirardelli Chocolate President & CEO Martin Thompson
Martin Thompson

Easy but Awful - Chicago store

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy work, good pay, guaranteed hours especially in the summer and holidays. Fun work environment; great, funny, outgoing co-workers and great supervisors (minus the GM.) Time and half on holidays and free menu items on each shift.

Cons

There was only one con to working here and that was the General Manager. Seriously. Extremely condescending and on the verge of sadistic, especially to Fountain workers. Would constantly say rude and just plain mean things about employees behind their backs. The usual chit-chat/laughter would cease as soon as he came around and loud groans filled the work room when we knew he was scheduled to work that day. Not only that, but we would constantly be running out of chocolate (yes, in a chocolate store) and scrambling to find alternatives for those free samples and bags on display.

To the GM: learn to run a store properly and lead by example and not by fear.

not so sweet after all

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the work that you're doing you get paid way too much.
    For the most part co-workers are cool and relaxed.
    Fun environment to be in.
    union (kinda)

Cons

They're a union controlled corporation so theres tons of red-tape around everything from getting direct deposit to health insurance to simply changing schedules. Also the hiring as an absolute crapshoot, it seems like hiring managers don't care about attitudes or qualifications and as a result you end up having to work with immature and unprofessional people. also being union everything is done on a seniority basis. besides one or two stars most management is unorganized and unprofessional.

One week and gone

Former Employee - Chocolateer in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Chocolateer in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upper management was very nice but they didnt have a framework as to what its really like behind the scenes.
    Lots of hrs
    pay decent but you work for it

Cons

Too many supervisors
    very picky about speed and consistency
    alot of the trainers did not care as a matter of fact the very first words out of her mouth was " nobody cares about your feelings here" . I was like lady its ice cream not the marines.
    Lake buena vista is a very busy location with alot of tourists.
    Diversity is great but must be able to communicate effectively in a loud environment.
    I was very claustrophobic and felt damned if you do and damned if you dont

Fun work environment that is undercut by poor management and over-scheduled employees.

Former Employee - Chocolateer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Chocolateer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate (less than an year)

Pros

Free access to chocolate, ice cream.
    Friendly, enthusiastic environment to work in
    Competitive pay

Cons

Non-existent benefits
    Poor management
    Stressful during peak hours when the confectionery is full
    Corporate can be cut-throat/brutal to employees if they do not maintain the Company's image and work ethic. Corporate management can fire you on the spot if you make a mistake
    Hours are non-negotiable. Volatile scheduling. You must be available to work "on-call"

Respect your employee's scheduling requests. I requested to work part-time, 20-25 hours a week. By the 4th week I was scheduled to work 38 hours.

It seems that there is a disconnect between the corporate management and the general manager/supervisors.

Sales

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's an iconic brand with strong equity and a ton of upside in the market. Their focus on quality means you always have an advantage when selling.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges is the relationship with the parent company. Ghirardelli is clearly the strategic leader in the portfolio, which must be intimidating to the other units.

Marty Thompson is a dynamic CEO with a strong sales background. Keep pushing and keep leading within the broader organization.

Good Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing and moving forward in the right direction (but that comes with growing pains). Management is open to new ideas and changes that will benefit the company and the people.
    Pros-
    1. The people. You get to work with AMAZING people not just in your department but in others.
    2. Benefits. The package is really good for the size of the company. Management thinks about the employee's well-being and not what is 'cheap' to the company
    3. Security. I felt safe working at Ghirardelli because of the security measures put in place. I'm never worried when I leave late at night or start early in the morning when its still dark
    4. Free chocolate!

Cons

There is a separation between the employees in production and in the corporate office. Both departments need to come together as ONE.
    Cons-
    1. Salary. Great if you're a new hire, not so good if you've been there for years and no adjustment with additional responsibilities
    2. Room for growth/ promotions in certain departments
    3. Some departments are favored more than others

Keep doing what you're doing but take more time to listen and observe the hard-workers in Production and Retail not just Corporate employees.

Supportive team and management and we make chocolate! What’s not to love!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management is very approachable and everyone is the building is nice and easy to work with. Everyday brings different challenges so you have to like and be ready to adapt to change to work here. Once you think you know how something works- it changes.

Cons

This is more than a 9-5 job for 80% of the people who work here. There will be late nights and early mornings. None of this is mandated by your manager, but it is really the only way to get the work load done especially at busy times of the year when there are projects on top of your everyday workload that is non-stop. The impression given is that we should have work life balance but it is hard to walk away and leave work undone.

Bring in more support staff to provide more balance to the work load and let key people grown the business.

Delicious and Rewarding!

Current Employee - Marketing in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the best companies I’ve worked for and the longest one I’ve been with. Working at Ghirardelli is extremely satisfying and enjoyable especially when the people you work with share the same passionate about the product (chocolate!) as you do. Being a mid-size company you get your hands on a variety of highly visible projects. As a result, you get to have a lot of ownership and decision making power within your business.

During the course of my career I’ve had the pleasure to work for and with some fantastic managers. I know this is not the case for everyone or every department but overall I have really appreciated my managers. I am constantly learning and being challenged on a regular basis. There's rarely a dull moment and two days are never the same which keeps the work exciting and engaging.

Last but certainly not least chocolate is everywhere! You begin to develop a very refined palate and form a strong appreciation for sophisticated flavors and complimentary ingredient combinations. An added perk is giving your feedback on new flavor development.

Cons

You do have to be comfortable managing lots of changes and working at a fairly fast pace. Timelines are rarely standard and most projects are extremely rushed. This motivates some people but makes others miserable and those they work with frustrated.

The office is a bit dated and does not reflect the premium image of the brand therefore making it difficult to host outside business partners with pride.

The location isn’t much better mostly because there are not a lot of lunch options and you need to drive just to go out. That being said the company is generous about providing catered meals for lunch meetings.

Finally, not sure if this is really a con but being surrounded by premium chocolate you inevitably become a “chocolate snob” and have difficulty enjoying mainstream chocolate and average desserts ever again.

We know that we are a very strong and fast growing company with a focus on innovation but there seems to be a lack of urgency to invest in additional headcount within key departments. Many departments appear to run too lean making it challenging to keep up with an ambitious product pipeline.

Not a bad place for a college job

Current Employee - Chocolateer in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Chocolateer in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great starting pay. the recipes are simple to learn. free ice cream and/or chocolate

Cons

can get very, very low hours. favoritism may come into place. on- calls

listen to your employees more

Established company, going through growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

The company hires very dedicated and passionate people. There is a very strong belief in the brand and an energy to make the company's mission statement come to life. Overall, the people who work at the company are friendly and inviting. The benefit plan is excellent and the employee contribution rates are relatively low. Flexible Time Off policy is generous; 401k plan with company match is very generous. Some departments have created a great team atmosphere. More processes are being put into place that should make the work flow better.

Cons

The growth of the company is strong, which means that there is a lot of pressure on departments and individuals to always be delivering. Work-life balance is encouraged in word but not necessarily by action; expect to receive emails and voice mails on days off, weekends, nights with an implied response expected. Being a smaller company, there is not much room for upward growth.

Growth opportunities are important at any level, career pathing is important to people - what is next? Encourage more open door communication in all departments as some are still road blocked from expressing their opinions.

Ghirardelli Chocolate Photos