Ghirardelli Chocolate
www.ghirardelli.com San Leandro, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Ghirardelli Chocolate Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Ghirardelli Chocolate – “Ghirardelli Employees”

Ghirardelli Chocolate President & CEO Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

Not a bad place for a college job

Chocolateer (Current Employee)
    Anaheim, CA

Prosgreat starting pay. the recipes are simple to learn. free ice cream and/or chocolate

Conscan get very, very low hours. favoritism may come into place. on- calls

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees more

Established company, going through growing pains

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    San Leandro, CA

ProsThe company hires very dedicated and passionate people. There is a very strong belief in the brand and an energy to make the company's mission statement come to life. Overall, the people who work at the company are friendly and inviting. The benefit plan is excellent and the employee contribution rates are relatively low. Flexible Time Off policy is generous; 401k plan with company match is very generous. Some departments have created a great team atmosphere. More processes are being put into place that should make the work flow better.

ConsThe growth of the company is strong, which means that there is a lot of pressure on departments and individuals to always be delivering. Work-life balance is encouraged in word but not necessarily by action; expect to receive emails and voice mails on days off, weekends, nights with an implied response expected. Being a smaller company, there is not much room for upward growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowth opportunities are important at any level, career pathing is important to people - what is next? Encourage more open door communication in all departments as some are still road blocked from expressing their opinions.

Great Corporate Culture and People

San Francisco, CA

ProsThis is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Work-life balance, training, great leaders. CEO and Executive team are heavily involved and are open to suggestions and new ideas to help company growth. Everyone is passionate and hard working which creates a stellar work force with the same big picture in mind.

Consnone that I can think of at this point

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my experience, all of the management that I've met and worked with have the same drive and passion that has helped Ghirardelli's growth. There are many amazing people that work for this company and I feel very lucky that I'm surrounded with such talent! With that said, my only advice to management is keep up the synergy!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This restaurant has great products, but is very poorly ran.

Fountain Worker (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsFair pay, fun co-workers, solid corporate system

ConsPoor/disrespectful management, poor scheduling, poor organization, not enough hours

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more respect for the hourly employees, find a more efficient way to balance or monitor labor

A Good Company

Manager (Current Employee)
    San Leandro, CA

ProsThe people are the best thing about the company, there is a really great group of people who interact with you on a daily basis. Additionally the company geniunely cares about its employees and has a really nice benefit package. The work-life balance is also pretty good compared to other companies I've worked for. Employees are given a lot of responsibility.

ConsBeing a smaller company there is not as much upward mobility as you'll find at larger businesses. Some of the training is lacking and will need to be improved as the company continues to grow.

Talented People; Lacking Good Managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Leandro, CA

ProsSome great, friendly co-workers. A charismatic and passionate CEO with a vision for the company. Chocolate is a fun product to work with, and Ghirardelli is a respected, premium brand. A growing and evolving organization presents career opportunities for those whose talents are recognized by their managers.

ConsWork-life balance can be challenging for some roles. Can be a very political environment, with a number of selfish middle managers who are more interested in advancing their own careers than building a better team. A number of inefficient, manual processes and a lot of tribal knowledge. Difficult to learn this organization at the beginning with ineffective on-boarding. The HR team has made efforts to improve communication, but continues to lack important competencies and mis-handles situations, revealing questionable integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind great leaders and mentors to inspire a healthier and more collaborative organization, at all levels of management. Show you value talented individuals with meaningful and tangible actions, before they decide to leave.

Great People. Great Product. A company that values people.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Leandro, CA

ProsGhirardelli is a socially responsible company that while not perfect, puts great emphasis on the well being of it's people. In short, Ghirardelli culture values a work-life balance.

ConsGhirardelli is a mid-sized company going through some growing pains which may hinder those who cannot perform without a perfect roadmap. I say it is this variability that allows someone to shine.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to place importance in the growth of your employees, this will attract and more importantly keep top talent.

Premium Products, Premium People, Premium Company

Supply Chain (Current Employee)
    San Leandro, CA

ProsHigh energy environment with a group of employees dedicated to winning in the market by making and selling quality chocolate products. Very fair pay as a food company (do not expect High Tech pay), really good benefits, a great employee discount on chocolate, and a homey feel due to the smaller size of the local staff. Culture supports better life balance - work your 50+ or so hours and go home to enjoy your family/down time - only very rare weekend work.

ConsChocolate is a tough business with demanding customers and short timelines - you have to be ok with many changes in priorities and urgent tasks. While a bit crazy at times, it is NOT boring (a pro in some ways, but you have to get used to it)

Where your contributions make an impact and are recognized

San Leandro, CA

ProsGhirardelli is an environment that is collaborative, fast-paced and drives decision making down to individual contributor levels. The size of the organization allows for each person in their role to make impactful decisions that are recognized all of the way to the CEO. The culture is evolving and the way of working becomes more progressive as time ticks on. Plus, who wouldn't want to smell the aroma of sweet chocolate permeating throughout the walls while they work?

ConsThe size of the company is growing however, we are still a smaller organization-creating moments where you will spend time on more administrative projects or day to day work. You have to dedicate the time to finding ways to manage this inevitable in this size organization.

Finally, a company with a culture that is both performance-oriented but also cares about its employees' personally

Manager (Current Employee)
    San Leandro, CA

ProsPersonal development is valued; work/life balance is excellent; workforce is welcoming friendly, and supportive; strong diversity of ages, ethnicities, backgrounds makes for a great blend of perspectives; there is food and fun EVERY day--it's too good to be true but my waistline begs to differ; small company feel but big company stability; everyone at a cocktail party loves to talk to you about your company; they are very open to new ideas and give you the support and encouragement to innovate; benefits package

ConsSome internal processes are cumbersome or outdated and not enough support staff or modern systems; the physical office space is a bit cramped though it's cozy in a good way too

Worked for Ghirardelli Chocolate? Contribute to the Community!

Ghirardelli Chocolate Videos

Ghirardelli Chocolate – Why Work for Us?

Ghirardelli At A Glance So what sets us apart? Since 1852, Ghirardelli has created a legacy of creativity that sets our company apart from our competitors. Today, our innovative heritage continues to thrive, as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ghirardelli Chocolate reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ghirardelli Chocolate CEO Martin Thompson. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Ghirardelli Chocolate employees.