Giant Creative Strategy Reviews

2.6
Stephen Mullens, Steven Gold

1. Innovative company that feels like a family

I have been working at Giant Creative Strategy

Pros

Lots of dedication and commitment among the staff and solid advancement track for people who show their worth. They have worked hard to build a digital capability and seem to have it figured out, at least enough to be competitive. Grown fast in the past few years and seem to have handled the growth well and recognized staff through salary and bonuses. Lots of staff events and community service offerings that help build relationships among my coworkers.

Cons

Top-heavy with too many partners with some not adding value, though others do a good job. Health insurance provider list seems to change every year and my plan was dropped and then added back again a year later. Often news is filtered down through staff rather than being communicated in an open forum.

Provide more value, communicate more and let us know the agency vision and prospects.

Fast moving ad agency

I have been working at Giant Creative Strategy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great benefits compared to industry standard
    -Working with an incredibly smart group of people
    -Great growth opportunity for those who are top performers and have an interest to make an impact and bring positive change

Cons

This is not an industry for everyone. It's a client driven environment, so you must be flexible with some of the ebb and flow. You must love it to want to be here!

More transparent communications throughout.

One of the most stressful times of my life

I worked at Giant Creative Strategy

Pros

Some of the people there are incredibly helpful and smart. I was lucky to have an amazing superior mentor me during my time there, taking on the job of my direct manager who often lacked the bandwidth for my oversight. The kitchen is always stocked, there's parties every month, and they pay for your taxi if you work late. I definitely learned an incredible amount in a short period of time.

Cons

Giant was the first agency I worked at and it definitely left me feeling that I'll never work in advertising again. My time there started out pretty relaxed, but as our campaign launch picked up pace it was baptism by fire. I often worked until 9 or 10 at night, getting in at 8:30 am every day. My days alternated between excruciatingly dead and unimaginably busy, but hardly ever a nice middle. There is obvious tension between all departments, especially management and account and management and creative. I was once belittled in a meeting by a Creative Director, that was great. After working tirelessly on this account, I was one of the many that were laid off when the client decided to change AOR.

Communication and respect between departmental upper management would trickle down to the mid and junior levels.

A fading empire

I worked at Giant Creative Strategy

Pros

Agency is generally closed Xmas to New Years

Cons

Leaders that don't build team trust and seem to "know it all", many disengaged employees

Working at Giant feels like living in a war zone: Prisoner-of-war camps (late night/weekend pitches), Torture techniques (unbelievable miscommunications from some unqualified leadership) and Execution squads (mass layoffs lately). There are some great employees, but it almost doesn't matter when you work in conditions like these. Giant is like an unstable, war-torn nation run by out of touch leaders unwilling to compromise on their ideology. Feels like a fading empire.

Advice to Management: Lead by good example and be genuine and trusting of your teams. Don't only pursue new business when the agency is on the brink of loosing accounts. Also, give "big picture" details of projects. It's hard to stay motivated when employees don't understand how certain projects fit into bigger new business initiatives.

All about the people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Giant Creative Strategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good; paid maternity and paternity leave. The company culture is phenomenal - great people to work with, all around, especially in the more day-to-day employees. Great print production people. Awesome studio. Creative Directors are always willing to help and pitch in.

Cons

Upper management can lose sight of the day-to-day issues. Partners/principals play favorites to an extent. Giant tends to hire new people for upper-level positions, leaving hard working employees wondering why they aren't getting promoted.

Take the time to understand how your employees view the company structure, strengths, and weaknesses. Creating a new process by asking upper-level execs what the issues are... isn't going to solve any issues, because they don't know.

Great company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Giant Creative Strategy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, extremely organized, helpful people, good communication within the company. I was only there for a short time, but it was clear that Giant works very hard to keep its employees happy.

Cons

The company has many new hires, it can be hard to keep up.

Don't think big. Think Giant: "giant mess."

I have been working at Giant Creative Strategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

there are bagels on Fridays

Cons

Erratic work schedule, many teams have a poor account/creative relationships, unrealistic budgeted project hours, low morale overall, management can be guarded and unavailable, too many unnecessary meetings

Giant has an environment of fear that effects much of the day to day. Whether it's fear of losing a client, fear of being billable, fear of losing your job, fear of colleagues being upstaged by a coworker, it's a constant aspect of life at the agency. It's exhausting to be in an environment where one is worried on some level. Fear should not be the primary motivator for good performance and behavior, but this is the working model at Giant. Not the best way to instill employee loyalty. There are times that are bearable, but Giant has been a career mistake.

Giant is an agency with true creative vision and the strategy chops to follow-through.

I have been working at Giant Creative Strategy

Pros

After working in a New York agency for six years, I moved to the West Coast and couldn't be happier with my work transition. Giant really manages to keep focus on being a highly creatively focused advertising agency while still able to maintain the quality of life that their employees deserve. In comparison to a New York agency, Giant offers a holistic approach on how to build a brand. Being in an industry where deadlines and budgets get tighter each year, Giant manages to stay on task and deliver their creative process the way it was intended to be delivered, and ultimately, I really feel like this is a place that is always able to stand behind the work they do. I would recommend Giant to anyone looking for a new place to work.

Cons

Choosing a conference room to meet in is always difficult because it's like, "What beautiful view of San Francisco do I want to look at today?!"

Had Potential but Lost It

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Giant Creative Strategy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company has a few good people, pet friendly, and healthy foods a plenty. Pays for food and cab fare when working late.

Cons

NO process when it comes to getting the work through, people are burned out and the creative managers are abusive. One brand has a very toxic because of the group creative director. Upper management ignores complaints from the people that are doing the work and creative managers are out for themselves. All talk about life-work balance, there is none.

People don't vent or can't vent in fear of retribution or loss of their job.

PROCESS and TRAIN your creative managers, or get rid of them. There are great people out there that would be a better fit. Listen to the people that are doing the work, they work with these managers on a daily. There is reason
    for a lot of job dissatisfaction.

Vendor

I worked at Giant Creative Strategy

Pros

Medical agency on the move, advancing traditional approaches to a digital world. Culture overall is both critical and supportive.

Cons

An overall tension between creative and account that is unsettling. They win, they lose. Will they always win? Do they really have the stuff to compete?

Build a better balance between account and creative. Look inside. Remember there are giants in the woods

Giant Creative Strategy Photos