Giant Eagle

Add Photos

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet

Laura Shapira Karet

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great company to work for

Eagle's Nest Attendant (Current Employee)
Westlake, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have worked for the company for almost 7 years as a part-time employee in the Eagle's Nest. We have great management in our department and other departments as well. Pay raises are part of the union benefits. Even as a part-time employee you get paid time off as well as paid vacations.

ConsYou are a part of the union, whether it is your decision or not. The union sucks a lot of money out of your weekly paycheck. Discipline can not occur in most departments and there are a lot of employees that slack off or do not follow policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should check in on ALL departments every once and a while. I have never met any management above my store manager, which I understand that it is a very large company, but the regional manager or anyone on that level have never approached our department.

A job for when I really need it.

Perishable Clerk (Former Employee)
Broadview Heights, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time

ProsThey are flexible with the hours as long as you are a good worker. You will get raises based on how many hours you work. If you are a god worker you will be able to work out when you will work almost completely up to you. They want you to be happy and to stay with the company. They also want to make sure that you will show up to work.

ConsThere can be a lot of drama with some managers. If you work in perishable foods department such as the deli, prepared foods, or seafood- to name a few- you will smell. The uniform will never smell clean again and any clothes you wear underneath them will smell also. Even if you work a four hour shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not call employees off the clock to complain about other employees.

Great time, especially for high school or college students.

Rocky River, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible scheduling, good pay, union job (most positions not all), guaranteed at least 14hrs/week, weekly pay, they post their schedules online. Overall a great company to start with and they offer advancement opportunities.

ConsAlthough the union is great it is Giant Eagles biggest down side. I didnt get all the hours I wanted because they had to give the hours to those who have been their the longest. My biggest problem was the older people who were cashiers like myself and they made $15-20/hr and barely did any work, but I would work hard and I could only make $8-12/hr.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It was pleasant and the people I worked with were easy to get along with

Willoughby, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

ProsThe job wasn't very hectic and every one was really friendly including the managers in all it was a very family friendly environment.

ConsScheduling days off were a pain sometimes but it could easily be worked around. Sometimes the store could get a little messy and unorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo schedule better

giant eagle is a good company to work at for career opportunities

Pharmacist (Former Employee)
Chardon, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 10 years

Proswork schedule, challenging, professionalism, well-stocked

Consnot enough help in the pharmacy, drive thru was given too much of your time, plenty of
distractions-hard to concentrate on work at hand

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more help in the pharmacy, allow more time for flu shots, half hour close for lunch

It is an easy going job and fun to be around everybody that works there.

Stock Clerk (Current Employee)
Chardon, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

ProsExperiences may vary, but as you continue to work more and more, everybody becomes almost a second family.

ConsThere is a lot of gossip that goes around and drama begins to start. Employees can be the down side of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more communication when handling with employee's schedules.

A lesson in politics

Gourmet Chef (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable healthy work environment very respectable

ConsNot all stores follow the same procedures

Advice to Senior Managementpromote from within the company more and not just because you know someone

Just before you had enough they'd throw you a bone.

Chagrin Falls, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros-Flexible Schedule
-Quarterly Raises
-Employee discount
-Birthday/ Anniversary treat
-Paid vacation
- Holiday Parties

Cons- Managers get transferred
- Weird Policies
- Managers play favorites
- Not enough Training

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that managers are transferred to share and equally balance all locations. If a manager has been complained about a multiple locations then they probably should be reviews, retrained, or fired.

I haven't started working yet but I really enjoy the positive environment and being surrounded by food.

Bakery Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)
Solon, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

ProsThe variety of food at market district welcome everyone to enjoy food and they had food from around the world. Customer service is great and I'm planning on improving my own customer service skills. Giant Eagle cares about their customers and their employees so the dress code is casual for work and for interviews it is business casual.

ConsI don't know of any downsides as of yet since I have not had an orientation scheduled or began work.

Ok, bad hours, quarterly raises

Cashier (Former Employee)
Parma, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

ProsRegular raises
Union
Nice management
Never wanted you to work a minute you weren't paid for

Cons3-4 hour shifts, 4 days a week.
Only was ever scheduled 14 hour a week

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overhire high school kids.

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Giant Eagle reviews and ratings in Cleveland, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Giant Eagle CEO Laura Shapira Karet . All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Giant Eagle employees.