Giant Eagle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet

Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, job different everyday(in 17 reviews)

• I have worked for the company for almost 7 years as a part-time employee in the Eagle's Nest(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position(in 23 reviews)

• Lack of communication in lower levels of management(in 7 reviews)

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeam members are friendly and pay is good

ConsStanding for 8 hours straight

Evil company

Cake Decorator (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsEmployees are nice. Senior employees are crazy and not afraid to speak up to management.
    Pay checks come every Thursday.

ConsHours will get drastically cut so owners can save money to open new stores(on the bus line where I was living there was 4 giant eagles and a market district! Within a few blocks of each other ) upper management does not care, in my case they took me from 40 plus hours a week to four four hour shifts and expected me to do the same amount of work in 4 hours that I was turning out in 8-10. You have union dues and the union will not help you when you need help. I started off as a bakery clerk and when I went to cake decorator apprentice to cake decorator I didn't see a raise!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, stop building stores so close together, you're a small business, start acting like one. I can see your company going under within the next 15 years. Your prices (even with the same brands 10% discount for employees) are priced like your selling gold! $5 for a single chocolate covered strawberry? $8 a pound for hot bar food that comes in bags!! What chef in their right mind can't make haluski or spaghetti or fried chicken? I can make 10 lbs of haluski for under $5!!

They function on a skeleton crew.

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Erie, PA

ProsSometimes you have plenty if hours. They pay weekly. And they are a union. If you are interested in staying here it a while these things may be worth while.

ConsManagement moves around amongst the stores instead of a poor manager being moved out of the company. Sometimes hours are hard I come by and cross training isn't reliable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it, hours suck.

File Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee) Warren, OH

ProsI love my department manager as well as the store owner and store manager. Very flexible as well as good pay..(if you get enough hours) They are flexible and understanding with late's and call-offs. i don't know if that was just my department or the whole store. i earned a weeks paid vacation in just 90 days. They also have opportunities for benefits which i haven't needed. i also love the 10 percent off giant eagle brand products that comes with being an employee! Getting paid weekly also helps alot.

ConsThere is little room to grow and advance in my department. (file maintenance) The other departments managers and my fellow co workers are mostly young women, enough said. ALOT of petty drama but nothing that cant be taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would really look into giving more hours to stores to give the employees.

Good starting job but not a long term position

Fuel Station Attendant (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsStraightforward, empowering workplace. Great 401K and pension plan. Managers, in general, feel more like friends than bosses. It's very hard to get fired. Flexible schedule.

ConsLack of major promotion potential. Disproportionate work ethic between employees. Corporate communication between stores is lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within!

AWFUL

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Akron, OH

Pros10% discount on giant eagle brands

benefits are through the union so they are decent, but you have to pay into the union for 13 MONTHS before you get anything

Consmanagement plays favorites, you can't get a full-time position unless you're a manager, even if you do get one, anyone hired after 1996 is subject to have their hours cut at any given time for any reason.

they hired SO MANY awful people from Tops!! the majority of store managers are from Tops and there's a reason that chain failed.

If you're not friends or family of management, good luck going anywhere!

They need to STOP thinking only about profits...the WORST thing about a "family-owned" empire like this is that all they care about is money in their pockets! Stop giving bonuses to overpaid store managers and then taking them away from already underpaid department managers!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees--they know what they're talking about.

Treat employees with respect and you'll receive the same back.

terrible

Perishable Clerk (Current Employee) Canton, OH

Prosearly morning shifts, 10% discount on own brand items

Conscost cutting measures mostly include cutting hours, too much work for one person, unreasonable expectations

Advice to Senior Managementrealize that your expectations of the job getting done at a set time are not always possible, quit letting things go until the higher ups come in and then stressing to your departments look perfect for them. let higher ups know and see that things aren't always perfect.

Horrifying

Meat Sales Clerk (Current Employee) New Castle, PA

ProsNothing. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

ConsZero training (I'm even experienced in the grocery industry and they found a way to make the most simple things complicated), workplace hostility, union protects employees who bully, harass, and even threaten both customers and coworkers while management is too lazy to do the right thing, clique-ish unwelcoming coworkers, terrible pay. The way management approaches issues between employees feels like a court trial, especially to new employees, often favoring senior employees. Union feels more like a corrupt "Big Brother" who steals your lunch money than a coach in your corner. 6 hour shifts only allow ONE 15 minute break. Bad haphazard scheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a spine and deal with your employees who have numerous complaints, give some care toward training, make more balance between skilled and new employees to ensure customers are taken care of and work is being done, look into better wages, more protection for new employees who are often pushed away by senior employees.

Horrible

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsMaking friends out of regular customers

ConsSupervisors played favorites, disrespectful to employees behind closed doors, management was unequipped to handle customer complaints properly, hourly pay should be higher than 25 cents from a cashier position to customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementGod sees all and knows all.

Decent

ProsOwners are nice, easy job and fun coworkers

ConsBeen there for a long time and no raise, cuts on hours because of over hiring and girl managers are extremely rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so sexist against girls and learn how to be nice for once

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!