Giant Eagle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet

Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, job different everyday(in 17 reviews)

• I have worked for the company for almost 7 years as a part-time employee in the Eagle's Nest(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position(in 23 reviews)

• Lack of communication in lower levels of management(in 7 reviews)

100 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Definitely Intern there.

Intern (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI learned so much from working there. The company and department were really hands on in my teaching. They also had a great internship program set up that allowed you to hang out with all the other interns from various departments. We also got to do a company wide project.

ConsIt was a really far drive from where I lived, so it made commuting a pain. Other than that no complaints. They pretty much shoved you out the door when you hit 8 hours, so I was never over worked! :D

GetGo D-Site

Fuel Station Attendant (Former Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsDecent starting pay, 10% store brand discount was nice, management was around relatively often but remained pretty laissez-faire, a lot of incentives with other businesses like gyms and cell phone providers that offered discounts, opportunities for career advancement *if you were willing and able to transfer stores*

ConsLike most minimum and low wage jobs there was a high rate of employee turnover; with 18 months I was one of the longest employees at my location and would've stayed longer had I not moved out of the area. As a smaller location than many, there were not many opportunities for upward movement in-store.

Some of the best moments of my working life; some of the worst moments of my life

Cashier (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThey have great benefits after you've been there for about a year or so.
    Like any other job, some co-workers were like family, and I mean that positively.
    It beats not working or on the street without the ability to pay rent.
    It taught me that I could work under any conditions with a diversity of people.
    A paid week's vacation or vacations based on time worked.

ConsThe misconception from customers that we're beneath them as human beings.
    Long hours, which can be considered a plus or minus
    Employment is like an open door; there are some favorites, and sometimes the family aspect has hatred in it.
    Stress, stress, and stress to perform.
    Low wages; burn out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat us all with respect, especially if we are trying our best. There are of course, workers who do not care as in any job, but many do if management, especially in upper levels, cared enough to groom them. (My statement is not universal, but it may apply in various areas.)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle of the Road

IT Developer (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsMostly friendly co-workers. Close to market rate on pay

ConsLimited chance to change the way of doing business

Advice to Senior ManagementYou used to be an employer of choice. Now you are like any other corporate giant. Consider where you have gone

The only thing I can say about this is simple....TERRIBLE

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsCoworkers are great. Majority of stores are union.

ConsMillions of cons with this company. I could write a novel about this section.
    Cutting hours for Hourly team members across the board
    Micro-management everywhere and anywhere
    Corporate thinks they are better than EVERYONE.
    Customers can be very degrading
    Zero recognition

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect more team members from the talent pool. Those who have college degrees and are having a difficult time at finding a job. Giant Eagle would rather bring in people from outside of the company instead of their own.

A family run business that cares about people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsA growing company that respects people.

ConsRetail 7 days a week.

Cashier / Self Checkout Attendant

Cashier (Former Employee) Rochester, PA

ProsThe company does care about its workers and will stick its neck out for people. They will work around your schedule.

ConsStarted off making 7.25 per hour and end making 7.85. Everyone no matter what department made the same amount depending on the length of employment. Felt they didn't pay equivalent to the work that needed done.

I had a great experience working for Giant Eagle!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sarver, PA

ProsMy manager was very helpful with meeting my scheduling needs and it was a great environment to work in.

ConsI felt that some managers did not have the employees backs when faced with customer problems. Also, that certain situations were made more difficult for the employees to deal with because of upper managements decisions on how to correct the situation.

Great experience with friendly and intelligent people

Intern (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe people I worked with were both smart and nice and the projects that I was assigned were very interesting. I learned a lot during my internship there and had plenty to speak to in future interviews. The experience was one-of-a-kind and very hands on.

ConsThe downside to interning at Giant Eagle is that there are seldom any job openings for new hires.

Great Company at one time, has changed recently. Wish Corporate would listen to store personel

Front End Team Leader (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosgreat company, can advance if you wish. Number 1 in the area. Steady employment

ConsCorporate is more interested in the bottom number. Need to put more dollars back into storesl

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more hours into the stores, Customer Service is suffering!!!!

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!