Giant Eagle Reviews

Reset
2.0
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; ability to work from home when needed (in 10 reviews)

• If you are a college student its good if you want part time (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess I could say that they keep up under a certain amount of hours so you are not considered a full time employee (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management plays favorites (in 15 reviews)

1. employment review

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, many locations, employee discounts and a diverse group of people.

Cons

many people have never worked anywhere else, so their perspective on new ideas or input from others is not always welcome.

Advice to Management

Utilize the expertise of those hired from other companies. Empower them to complete the tasks set before them.

2. Pharmacy Technician

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn how a pharmacy is run, how to operate cash register, pharmacy database and privacy laws.

Cons

High stress, low pay, only get two 15 min breaks otherwise is non-stop rushing to quickly complete tasks. Rude, sick, confused customers. Very difficult job with high turnover.

Advice to Management

Train newbies at the store where they'll be working. Assign a mentor to newbies. Stop baptizing by fire.

All in the family

Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

HQ is located outside of downtown which is a positive. Work/life balance is good.

Cons

If you aren't related to one of the 4 families which own the company, you will be at a severe disadvantage. The existing connections and relationships overcome common sense EVERY time. You will be shocked when you find out how far the family ties run through the company. Leadership won't even bother to learn your name until you are there for at least 5 years unless you come in by being related to someone. Strategies are constantly changing making you wonder who is even steering this nepotism ship.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach

5. Great company to work for, depending on location

Former Employee - Kitchen Go-Getter in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Go-Getter in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly paycheck. Decent starting wage. Sometimes room to advance.

Cons

Work employees FT hours but only consider them PT. Management and Corporate are very unprofessional. Only follow policies occasionally and do not everyone equally.

Advice to Management

Management and corporate are very corrupt. Do not ever challenge them, even if they are doing something wrong, or unlawful as they will often throw it back at you. Over work their employees, and never properly train them.

6. It is What it is

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Butler, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, and works around personal schedules and/or limited availability. It makes for an easy part-time job if you were looking for one. They limit part-timers at 28 hours also. Good dental and vision plans too.

Cons

Not a livable wage and a very unprofessional atmosphere, but that is the complaint anywhere you go. It also has terrible health insurance plans (although great providers) and the paid vacation HAS to be used all at once during a workweek.

Politics

Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay, great perks, flexible

Cons

A lot of politics. The second they decide they dont like your personality, they find a way to fire you. I wouldnt recommend working in the Giant Eagle HR dept unless you are good at being a suck up to the higher ups. the sad truth. The money didnt even make me happy working at giant eagle.

Advice to Management

Get new and fair management

Cheap

Former Employee - Senior Programmewr in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmewr in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of good solid folks that work hard there

Cons

Lack of leadership Monkeys and a football And employees are not compensated for their efforts

Advice to Management

Stop peeing on their legs and telling everyone its raining

Work for GE over 25 years

Former Employee - Category Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If your young you can climb the ladder. Fair compensation.

Cons

Once you start to climb it become very stressful /painful and you are always looking over your shoulder to see who is going to stab you back to get your position.The early days you was taken care of what I mean is by that if you was loyal you never had to worry about having a job but once you hit 50 years old they want nothing to do with you unless you made it to VP. They have no feelings for your loyalty .

Advice to Management

Re-think what you did over the past 5 years and how you destroy over 2000 families lifes that work for Giant Eagle more than 1/2 of their life.By letting them go and replacing them with younger kids.Try to find a new job at the age of 50!!!!

Evil company

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are nice. Senior employees are crazy and not afraid to speak up to management. Pay checks come every Thursday.

Cons

Hours will get drastically cut so owners can save money to open new stores(on the bus line where I was living there was 4 giant eagles and a market district! Within a few blocks of each other ) upper management does not care, in my case they took me from 40 plus hours a week to four four hour shifts and expected me to do the same amount of work in 4 hours that I was turning out in 8-10. You have union dues and the union will not help you when you need help. I started off as a bakery clerk and when I went to cake decorator apprentice to cake decorator I didn't see a raise!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, stop building stores so close together, you're a small business, start acting like one. I can see your company going under within the next 15 years. Your prices (even with the same brands 10% discount for employees) are priced like your selling gold! $5 for a single chocolate covered strawberry? $8 a pound for hot bar food that comes in bags!! What chef in their right mind can't make haluski or spaghetti or fried chicken? I can make 10 lbs of haluski for under $5!!

Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Making friends out of regular customers

Cons

Supervisors played favorites, disrespectful to employees behind closed doors, management was unequipped to handle customer complaints properly, hourly pay should be higher than 25 cents from a cashier position to customer service.

Advice to Management

God sees all and knows all.

RSS Feed </> Embed