Giant Eagle

Get More For less

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay Medium, Benefits good, Field work fun, Flexible time management,

Cons

Hourly was outstanding, salary is exploited, no comprehensive gameplan for for inrastructure, throw money out the window on projects and then cry the blues on budget,

Take the time to find out the technical details before throwing money at a problem.

Giant Eagle needs to change, and fast!

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The only pros are that some management are true professionals, that are fun, and good people. They do their best to make an abysmal job bearable. If you work in a union store, you do receive health benefits at low cost, and free if you are part time (after a year and two years respectively). There is room for advancement into management, and to the corporate world, and they do look at internal applicants before filling outside applications. Working here for 8 years was a good thing, this motivated me to go back to college and finish my degree, so I would not have to work a position like this in the future.

Cons

If you like your weekends off and the ability to enjoy any holiday, don't work here. The customers are rude, the store leader will bend over backwards for customers, but not employees, even when a customer is blatantly wrong, or a repeat offender. After doing some detective work, I was able to find out that a lot of coworkers are on some sort of medicine to control blood pressure, depression, or anxiety disorders. It seems that if you work there greater than 10 years, you too will be taking something of the like. I'm glad I was able to leave shy of 10 years, and avoid health issues. I was fortunately able to read the writing on the wall and leave when I did.

The ability to do the same, or more productivity with less people is a daunting task. I feel bad for my former managers are they are nice people, but are being hamstrung by corporate and the store leader in receiving more employees. Morale is below terrible, management is looking to move outside of the company, and employees are leaving rather quickly, it is a sinking ship! To be quite honest, in the time since I have quit, I feel like a human being again, and not a doormat.

Be your own grocery store, do not try to copy other chains in the country. I would strongly encourage corporate to really re-think about the frequency of employee satisfaction surveys. An Undercover Boss type situation would be ideal, as it would ultimately increase morale and sales. Follow the lead of marketplace leaders such as Wegman's (they are number one in the country for a reason), but do not copy them 100%. Keep up with emerging trends in the marketplace in a timely fashion. Adopting a gourmet cupcake program when sales of these items are dropping nationwide is not a good idea.

There is a lot of disconnect between corporate and the stores, the communication is horrible. 90% of problems stem from poor communication! Having a lot of new initiatives is a good thing, but Giant Eagle gets carried away. Eat the sandwich one bite at a time, do not bite off more than what you can chew.

I have traveled quite a bit on my own time during vacations, and have visited many other grocery stores, and I've learned a few things (after speaking to their management). Make employees the first priority, when this happens, the employees will be happy to be there, and provide service that is exceptional, all of the time, and sales will reflect this. The customer first approach is dead.

Have a dedicated trainer in every store, their sole purpose will be to train all of their employees to be real "experts," not what Laura says they are. The trainer should be able to train all of the employees in customer relations, troubleshooting problems, minor conflict resolution, and how to empower fellow employees. The actual job training (ringing a cash register, or stocking shelves can be left to a department manager, or a clerk that has been there for a while).

Having a dedicated HR representative in each store needs to become the norm again. Having to track down a HR representative to fix a pay error two days later is not a good business practice. When each store had an HR coordinator/manager, problems were easily identified, and corrected. Within the bigger stores, this needs to happen immediately. Having an HR manager bouncing between a few stores, makes them lose touch with the employees at a particular location, having them overworked, and nearing burnout is not a good thing.

I would also encourage management to have satisfied customers call the 1-800 number at the bottom of the receipt or at least speak to the Store Leader to pass along compliments. This does happen, but not as frequently as they would like. I know a lot of the calls placed to this number are for complaints, having them call for a good reason will make somebody's day!

There are no appreciation events held on any timely basis. Employees need these sorts of events more frequently. When I first started working at Giant Eagle, these events were the norm, not the exception. When I left, luncheons, celebrations and the like were the exception, and when put together, they were last minute, and laden with junk food. Have a nice catered event, so the Prepared Foods staff can enjoy the luncheon. I would also recommenced to have these events at least twice monthly, and to cover all shifts.

I did manage to work night crew a few times, and their treatment was terrible. Any sort of appreciation and or morale events were not passed along to these unsung heroes of the store. These folks really bust their backsides to get the store into shape for the morning. Giving these folks cold pizza and leftover cake is not a reward. Make these people feel genuinely appreciated and that they are needed. They certainly do need it.

Giant Eagle will have to step up their sales strategy to match different customers. The younger affluent crowd will spend the extra money for a quality or new item. The older folks, or those with less disposable income, will spend what they need to, and not much more. Trying to hawk a specialty item to some of the older folks is a waste of time, they want white bread, bologna, and Islay's chipped ham. Trying to get these folks to change their preferences is a losing battle. As a younger consumer, I prefer to try newer and better products.

Piggybacking off of what I just mentioned, Giant Eagle is facing a major problem in the Greater Pittsburgh area, and that is their client base. With many older people in the area, their client base is slowly either moving South or West or are dying. If you want a perpetual existence in the area, you must start aggressively marketing to the younger crowd, or you will face ever decreasing sales.

I desperately hope somebody from corporate reads this...

Strategic vision is lacking

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to move up and around and learn many different sides of the business. The convenience store side is a juggernaut with a smaller team.

Cons

We were told we had a record profit, but missed target, and the layoffs began. Supermarket side is slow to move, and the experience that has made it so successful is also what holds it back from innovating.

Own your place in the market or invent a new one, but stop trying to be Tesco, Kroger, Wegmans, etc.

Politics

Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay, great perks, flexible

Cons

A lot of politics. The second they decide they dont like your personality, they find a way to fire you. I wouldnt recommend working in the Giant Eagle HR dept unless you are good at being a suck up to the higher ups. the sad truth. The money didnt even make me happy working at giant eagle.

Get new and fair management

Dedication to find best role for employees

Former Contractor - Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The management works with employees to find the best roles for them to succeed. They often promote in-house, and care about the work the company does. They are very flexible with employees schedules, and have been setting up more time for employees to work from home. Certain department heads really show their appreciation for their employees, especially when they go above and beyond.

Cons

Benefits and labor force have gone up and down over the last decade, mostly reflecting the broader economy. The pay isn't superb.

The surprise layoffs cause some underlying resentment in employees.

I worked at a corporate store.

Current Employee - Full Time Deli Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Full Time Deli Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very little, maybe it was just the store I was employed at, but it was a hellish nightmare.

Cons

Please read what others have wrote, I cannot verbalize my feelings for this putrid business.

Started out great, ended up "meh."

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flex time was great, partial work from home was awesome, regular merit increases, company-wide performance bonuses were a great perk.

Cons

IT Management didn't buffer work requests from Marketing. Continually moving the goalposts made it impossible to not be in crisis mode all the time. Work from home is taken away depending on projects, whether or not you're collaborating with other developers.

Sales Clerk

Former Employee - Deli Sales Clerk in Gibsonia, PA
    Former Employee - Deli Sales Clerk in Gibsonia, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to move up to management.

Cons

compensation, attitude, lazy work environment, uneducated co workers

Cheap

Former Employee - Senior Programmewr in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmewr in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of good solid folks that work hard there

Cons

Lack of leadership Monkeys and a football And employees are not compensated for their efforts

Stop peeing on their legs and telling everyone its raining

Lots of talk with little follow through

Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Some advancement in career. Over time pay for holidays. Decent hours if you're lucky enough to get them.

Cons

Low ball salaries. Upper management plays favorites. Lots of talk with change with little action. Management won't make hard but necessary decisions.

Pick a company vision and stick with it, stop changing company initiatives and identity every year. Perhaps create something on your own, and stop using other company's styles?