Giant Eagle Reviews

Reset

1. seafood leader

Former Employee - Seafood Lead in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Seafood Lead in Washington, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle (More than 5 years)

Pros

if you know what your doing you can move up qwickly and make very good money

Cons

they are union stores, and your fellow employees get the same raise as you , wiehter they deserve it or not, on account of it being union

Advice to Management

get rid of the union

2. It is What it is

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Butler, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, and works around personal schedules and/or limited availability. It makes for an easy part-time job if you were looking for one. They limit part-timers at 28 hours also. Good dental and vision plans too.

Cons

Not a livable wage and a very unprofessional atmosphere, but that is the complaint anywhere you go. It also has terrible health insurance plans (although great providers) and the paid vacation HAS to be used all at once during a workweek.

3. gourmet chef

Current Employee - Gourmet Chef in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Gourmet Chef in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle (More than 3 years)

Pros

The union bargain agreement.paid Medical, yearly increase, paid vacation after 1st year

Cons

Poor diologe from managers to staff. Bad vibe to most hourly employees.

Advice to Management

Increase hours per departments, decrease turnover

5. Typical retail

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are very nice. In the right department, with the right coworkers, this place can be a breeze.

Cons

The unpredictable schedule can make it hard to have much of a personal life.

Advice to Management

You can't give 12 hours per week to a bunch of part-timers making $8 an hour an expect them to care about how good of a job they're doing. Please hire more full time staff to help make the departments run as smoothly as they should.

So sad

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Up until about two years ago, there was clear strategy (quality being the point of difference over our rivals) and strong leadership with impressive employee engagement and a big push to become a Great Place to Work.

Cons

Strategy now appears to be "plunge to the bottom" with a side of "we hate our employees". Top staff are allowed to leave without even the sniff of a fight, sometimes even encouraged to "quit if you don't like it". Zero professional development with training requests completely ignored. Ostracized if you question management "strategy", raise legitimate objections or dare to make suggestions. Morale is soul-crushingly low and there is an explicit mindset of "let things fail" before even investment is considered.  I've never seen such a complete collapse of corporate culture and identity before. It is very sad.

Advice to Management

There's no point in giving any advice to management, they're not listening anyway.

Nice work environment and co-workers but constantly feel like management is taking advantage of employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Good work, life balance and working from home. They offer great benefits and a nice work environment

Cons

No appreciation for any work and pay is not good. They often take advantage of employees.

8. Good first job

Current Employee - POS Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - POS Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ample opportunities to move up in the company. The benefits are great and the good managers will take care of you. Part time hours are not consistent at all. Very hard to get a full time position.

Cons

Refuses to invest in new technology and spend any form of money. Not a very efficient company, there are a lot of things they do that can be done faster. Very repetitive and really boring. The management is very hit and miss. The good managers always get transfered too.

Advice to Management

Spend money on technology. The self checkouts are from 2004 and always keep breaking. Nothing works forever. Keep the good managers and move the bad ones.

9. Go Getter

Current Employee - Go Getter in Elizabeth, PA
    Current Employee - Go Getter in Elizabeth, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay Awesome coworkers direct deposit I don't have anything else that is good about Get-Go. I Hate this place and I'm only there because I need money. I am leaving in a month.

Cons

Manager hates to be flexible but requires employees to be flexible. Hours keep getting cut. Started with 40 hours but then everyone got cut to 20-30 hours. Manager has favorites and gives them more hours than the people he doesn't really like. Staff does not get recognition for tasks they do that are not required.

Advice to Management

Get a new job.

10. It was good for a high school student, young adult in college

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

It was fast paced, but not that interesting. I worked there before I was in college.

Cons

Not very challenging, hours weren't ideal.

Advice to Management

Give employees more than one uniform.

11. Good, but could be better

Former Employee - General Warehouse in Harmony, PA
    Former Employee - General Warehouse in Harmony, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and profit sharing were great. Direct supervisors were also great to work with.

Cons

Senior management was terrible and must learn to treat their employees with more respect.

Advice to Management

Senior management should follow the code of ethics that the rest of the company has to follow.

RSS Feed </> Embed