Giant Eagle

Updated January 31, 2015
3.1

Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; ability to work from home when needed (in 10 reviews)

• They do have an excellent benefits package that they offer to their part-time employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 26 reviews)

• Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start your job, can be tough moving up.

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Store managers are pretty laidback people, as long as you are doing something work related, co-workers are also nice and very helpful. The benefits are pretty good. The pay is good compared to other grocery stores with similar type of jobs.

Cons

The worst thing about working here is it's very tough to move up and advance to better positions, the fastest way to do so is by befriending store managers and other upper management, and hope that they like you enough to recommend you. The work-life balance could be better, but it's expected since it's retail.

The advice I have for management is to train and hire within the company for managerial and corporate positions, since a lot of younger employees are finishing college and looking to continue their careers. Also offer more scholarships to students that are in college and are majoring in a field where GE can employ them after graduating.

Great for a single person trying to get experience in a company

Former Employee - Front End Team Leader
    Former Employee - Front End Team Leader

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

Wage is decent, job gives you much to put on your resume

Cons

Insurance is expensive,transfers between locations, your experience relies on the store leader, work life balance awful required to work 9-6 four days and 1-10 one day. Holidays always. No respect for young people in the work force.

Mic

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Fun environment fun to merchandise

Cons

Long hours upper management lacked operation skills

More full time

Being honest

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Excellent team member support with in house charity programs. Works well with my schedule

Cons

Working at a convenience store can be excessively stressful

Can be fun, but not for the logical

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Lots of fun people to work with.
    Very flexible hours
    Great for seasonal employees

Cons

Gets boring at times
    Nothing is ever done because "it makes sense"

When doing renovations, talk to the people who will actually be working in the department so you know what to include and what isn't necessary. Also, try to hire managers that actually care about the company and people.

disorganized and boring

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

predictable schedule, relatively clean environment

Cons

grim culture, bureaucracy over people

invest in employees -- hire self-starters and pay them more

Don't let the fantastic benefits fool you into the job

Current Employee - Front End Cashier(Formerly Eagles Nest Attendant) in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding Benefits(After one year), $10hr guaranteed after one year of employment, PT & FT Get benefits/Paid Vacations

Cons

Horrible hours, Favoritism, Poor Management, Sporadic Schedules, No opportunity for advancement

They are constantly hiring new people and because of that the rest of us that have worked here for years get our hours cut back so much that employees like me are not able to afford to eat every day, this is happening to everyone in every department. I'm not getting more than 20hrs a week! They need to stop hiring people before it gets to this point! I used to think this was a company that cared about it's employees because of the great benefits they have to offer, but they are all about making money and that's it. I am just disgusted with the way employees are treated regularly by the immediate management of the store. The GM never has anything positive or constructive to say about anyone's work. They do not care if you work hard and they do not care how long you have worked for them and they do not care if you have experience. I am working extremely hard to find another job but until then I am stuck here and it's a real shame that I have been so miserable working here. I was also told when my department closed a few months ago that they would be working with me and the other employees from that department to find a good place for us within the store and that never happened, I got thrown up at the registers. I didn't want to be a cashier and I feel as if they don't care about me or the others and it's sad that when I find a new job they are going to lose a great employee to a different company that will treat me better. Start valuing your employees, with out them you wouldn't be making any of your millions.

Good, but could be better

Former Employee - General Warehouse in Harmony, PA
    Former Employee - General Warehouse in Harmony, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and profit sharing were great. Direct supervisors were also great to work with.

Cons

Senior management was terrible and must learn to treat their employees with more respect.

Senior management should follow the code of ethics that the rest of the company has to follow.

Not the best and not the worst

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

I liked the people and seeing the inner workings of such a big grocery chain. Benefits were very good and the union took care of you.

Cons

Management made an unreal amount of money so if they decided you weren't worth their time your problems went unsolved. They would act a little high and mighty so to speak.

Like the employees, dislike corporate

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy my fellow employees and I don't mind the work that I do. We get raises every 3 months the first two years that you work there and you get a 10% discount on all Giant Eagle brand products.

Cons

Corporate has been getting more and more cheap over the past few years and consistently keeps cutting corners. We have had several of our perks and benefits taken away, most of the departments in our store are understaffed but they won't hire anyone else, we can't have ANY food or drink while on duty and can ONLY have water with a doctor's note. I was told recently that if I got caught with water at the service desk I would be written up.

I understand that you want to save money and that is fine but cutting corners consistently on your employees is not the way to do it. If you keep up what you're doing I only see the store going downhill.