Giant Eagle Reviews

Reset
3.2
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; ability to work from home when needed (in 10 reviews)

• If you are a college student its good if you want part time (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess I could say that they keep up under a certain amount of hours so you are not considered a full time employee (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management plays favorites (in 15 reviews)

1. Giant Eagle, it's better than working fast food.

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Akron, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Good people, decent pay, good place to work if you do good work, but if you're lazy you need not apply. I go in to work with a good attitude and focus on getting my job done. I started out as a bagger like many have, but i'm slowly crawling up in responsibilites and i'm currently in the management development process. My particular store has many caring people as well as management, so I guess it depends on which people you get stuck with :) Generally though, my co-workers are good, honest people just trying to make a living.

Cons

Alot of hard work and dealing with certain customers.

Advice to Management

Make sure to tell people they're doing a good job when they are.

2. Good Job

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

All employees are treated with respect. There are lots of different areas you can move into if you are interested.

Cons

There have been several layoffs over the last 8 years. This time they did a much better job in explaining the situation beforehand.

Advice to Management

Try to stay streamlined to avoid layoffs in the future. The tendancy has been to let people go and rehire and do it all again in a few years.

3. Very good, solid place to work with outstanding values

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Integrity, respect, and caring for people are values that are lived in Giant Eagle

Cons

The pay is a bit below average and sometimes decisions are made for financial reasons that trump Respect for People

Advice to Management

Think longer term when making people decisions and orient Diversity programs for promoting talent from within

5. Very satisfying and personally rewarding.

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Salary and working environment are very good and the company is a family company so everyone is friendly and nice

Cons

Just the salary could be higher at other companies obviously if they are larger than Giant Eagle is, but not much else

Advice to Management

There is not much that I would say to change, the people who work for and run the company are great.

6. I liked working at Giant Eagle while attending school.

Former Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Very flexible with understanding employees that are going to school. They also care about their employees a great deal with circumstances.

Cons

Pay raises because they don't happen often enough as well as having managers decide how much more money you get when the time comes.

Advice to Management

More direction on sales floor because there was never enough feedback on what they wanted you to do after tasks were completed.

7. My experience was great. I enjoyed working and meeting alot of people.

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Giant Eagle are flexible hours, very friendly people and a great working environment.

Cons

There was not many downsides of working at Giant Eagle other than working the grave yard shift to stock product.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keept up the good work and to continue doing what you do bset is sevrving the customer

8. Very good place to work!!!!

Current Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Great place to work Flexible work hours Fun time with majority good people

Cons

Some customers are difficult but its retail.

Advice to Management

Open more full time positions

Great place to work through high school and college, and even to start a career afterwards!

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Stow, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Stow, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Flexibility around school schedules and other work requirements. Paid vacations and personal days after one year. Great coworkers and fun company culture. Amazing employee recognition. "Coaching" style of leadership rather than "managing".

Cons

After the holidays, they really cut back on the hours they give employees. So you can work 36 hours one week, and then the next week only get 14. And its all based on seniority.

Advice to Management

The only criticism I have is that you work us full-time during the holidays and then hack our hours, and that creates a lot of stress on employees that depend on their paychecks. Other than that, I enjoy everything else about working here.

10. Felt like I was a part of a team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethel Park, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethel Park, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Little to no competition in western PA allows Giant Eagle to be very profitable. The company treats its employees very well and offers a great benefits package.

Cons

The grocery industry isn't the best paying field in general.

11. A great job for high school and college students.

Current Employee - Cashier in Wexford, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Wexford, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High hourly rate ($9.05/hr), as opposed to surrounding jobs. Hire at 16. Great management, they really listen and are very kind. Company is very nice to employees, have already received three bonuses, one of which was a sign on bonus. $0.50 raise at six months, and another $0.50 raise at twelve months, no matter what your age. This means you could potentially be a high school student making 10 bucks an hour! Paid 15 minute breaks. As you gain seniority, you will have more leverage in choosing what hours you want to work.

Cons

Hours during the summer are very competitive and limited, this might be a problem for high school and college students, as this is prime time to get in hours. This is not a problem unique to this company, but cashiering is a very boring job, and candidates should seriously consider if they are up for this job. Management is very restricting on hours if you are a minor. You will normally average 4.5 hour shifts at 5 days a week (22.5 hours / week) during the school year, but rarely will they give you shifts above 4.5 hours. This can be a problem for people who want to work less days, but the same number of hours.

Advice to Management

Please be more lenient on your minors with hours, or at least give them the chance to prove themselves of being responsible enough to take longer shifts.

RSS Feed </> Embed