Giant Eagle

Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet
Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, job different everyday (in 17 reviews)

• I have worked for the company for almost 7 years as a part-time employee in the Eagle's Nest (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 23 reviews)

• Lack of communication in lower levels of management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

If your looking for a terrible, wasteful career...work at GE

Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get a paycheck every week, that's about it.

Cons

Where do I start.....I have been a manager or "team leader" as they call it for over 10 years. The company is a joke. They do not care about customers or anyone who works in the stores. They care about the bottom line, their profits. If you ever seen the commercial about the company being a family, it's a complete utterly lie. They have no advancement program for anyone. They will move you to a different store every 1-3 years, dorsnt matter how far it is, I was currently traveling 3 hours aday roundtrip and they dont give you anymore in your paycheck either. You have to know someone to even move up in the company, don't think hard work and dedication works...that's the mistake I made. You will never feel appreciated. Raises are once a year and minimal. Bonuses exist but are very miniscule (less than a paycheck for the whole year). I seen them fire people because they didnt like them because they had balls and said no. They vp says he doesn't care if you work 27 hours a day but you better get you work done. So there is no work life balance, you can't take a weekend day off. You will work a lot of nights and mid shifts. They continually think they are the only game in town, I was told that several times. Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management. The CEO doesnt know how to run this company (what's left of it)

You are not "the only game in town". Customers and employees know that...stop thinking they don't. Running double fuelperks is retarded, everyone just wants lower prices for the same food you get at Wal-Mart, shopnsave, aldis, and foodlion. Quit trying to get rich quick and put the money back in the customer pockets. I could go on and on but they don't care what I have to say or anyone else for that matter. You know that survey youhave on your rreceipt and you call in to give complaints? Yea we have meetings about it and they would read them and laugh (especially when a dozens of people would say "lower prices").

AWFUL

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle for more than 10 years

Pros

10% discount on giant eagle brands

benefits are through the union so they are decent, but you have to pay into the union for 13 MONTHS before you get anything

Cons

management plays favorites, you can't get a full-time position unless you're a manager, even if you do get one, anyone hired after 1996 is subject to have their hours cut at any given time for any reason.

they hired SO MANY awful people from Tops!! the majority of store managers are from Tops and there's a reason that chain failed.

If you're not friends or family of management, good luck going anywhere!

They need to STOP thinking only about profits...the WORST thing about a "family-owned" empire like this is that all they care about is money in their pockets! Stop giving bonuses to overpaid store managers and then taking them away from already underpaid department managers!!!

Listen to your employees--they know what they're talking about.

Treat employees with respect and you'll receive the same back.

Horrifying

Current Employee - Meat Sales Clerk  in  New Castle, PA
    Current Employee - Meat Sales Clerk in New Castle, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Cons

Zero training (I'm even experienced in the grocery industry and they found a way to make the most simple things complicated), workplace hostility, union protects employees who bully, harass, and even threaten both customers and coworkers while management is too lazy to do the right thing, clique-ish unwelcoming coworkers, terrible pay. The way management approaches issues between employees feels like a court trial, especially to new employees, often favoring senior employees. Union feels more like a corrupt "Big Brother" who steals your lunch money than a coach in your corner. 6 hour shifts only allow ONE 15 minute break. Bad haphazard scheduling.

Grow a spine and deal with your employees who have numerous complaints, give some care toward training, make more balance between skilled and new employees to ensure customers are taken care of and work is being done, look into better wages, more protection for new employees who are often pushed away by senior employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The start was nice but there is no support.

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

The are no pros to speak of.

Cons

IT Management was lacking. Training was non-Existent. Work was never appreciated.

Not what it seems to be!

Former Employee - Bakery  in  Finleyville, PA
    Former Employee - Bakery in Finleyville, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Plenty of hours if you want them. Many hours, some nice people

Cons

No one helps you, not enough training for the job.

Need more training for people who are struggling. If you see someone who is struggling with the job maybe someone should help or offer more training

Not a good company

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

10% employee discount
    nice coworkers
    some interesting customers
    Very good with working around college classes, and understanding of personal issues.

Cons

-bad management
    -low hours
    -mediocre pay
    -bad union
    -awful benefits
    Don't ever expect to move up the corporate ladder unless you know someone higher up who can get you in.

Listen to your employees more, and come out of your offices to help instead of watching us on camera.

Horrible!!!

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, easy job

Cons

Immature work environment and non-existent management.

Before opening a call center, try working in one!

Absolutely terrible unless you're in high school

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a high school student, schedules are "flexible"

Cons

Expect the following: terrible scheduling, favoritism, corporate HR that is out to fire people (overheard saying that is their job security!), managers who want employees to FAIL (also their job security), terrible employee morale, and the worst thing about this "family company," is that they ONLY PROMOTE THEIR FRIENDS. When HR was "restructured," HR managers with Bachelors and Masters degrees were fired, while HR managers with 6 months experience and NO DEGREE were kept on because they were friends with "higher-ups."

This company is a joke and will be out of business sooner rather than later. Passing the company off to his daughter was the worst thing the CEO did.

Reward good workers, not your friends. Stop starting new programs and stopping them less than a year later. Makes you look extremely flaky.

Giant Eagle Pharmacy

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than a year

Pros

10% employee discount.

I can't think of anything else honestly.

Cons

Management - Especially in the pharmacy call center. Worst place I have ever worked. Horrible manager and horrible work environment.

Clean house!

worked in the bakery department doing various jobs

Current Employee - Bakery  in  Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Bakery in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are a college student its good if you want part time.

Cons

Dont expect to gain anything here because you can put everything into your work and you dont get anywhere.It seems that the long timers are the ones who get what they want.They want to cut hours and alot of good people are leaving because of it.Too much favoritism.

Check on your department managers and make sure they are being a boss and not contributing to work place drama.Look at your good employees and take care of them.

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!