Giant Eagle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet

Laura Shapira Karet

Pros:
  • "Flexible scheduling allows entry level Team Members a balance between home life, work and school"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Great work/life balance; ability to work from home when needed"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "It is virtually impossible to get a full time position"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Lack of communication in lower levels of management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrifying

Meat Sales Clerk (Current Employee)
    New Castle, PA

ProsNothing. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

ConsZero training (I'm even experienced in the grocery industry and they found a way to make the most simple things complicated), workplace hostility, union protects employees who bully, harass, and even threaten both customers and coworkers while management is too lazy to do the right thing, clique-ish unwelcoming coworkers, terrible pay. The way management approaches issues between employees feels like a court trial, especially to new employees, often favoring senior employees. Union feels more like a corrupt "Big Brother" who steals your lunch money than a coach in your corner. 6 hour shifts only allow ONE 15 minute break. Bad haphazard scheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a spine and deal with your employees who have numerous complaints, give some care toward training, make more balance between skilled and new employees to ensure customers are taken care of and work is being done, look into better wages, more protection for new employees who are often pushed away by senior employees.

The start was nice but there is no support.

ProsThe are no pros to speak of.

ConsIT Management was lacking. Training was non-Existent. Work was never appreciated.

Not what it seems to be!

Bakery (Former Employee)
    Finleyville, PA

ProsPlenty of hours if you want them. Many hours, some nice people

ConsNo one helps you, not enough training for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more training for people who are struggling. If you see someone who is struggling with the job maybe someone should help or offer more training

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good company

Front End Cashier (Current Employee)
    North Canton, OH

Pros10% employee discount
    nice coworkers
    some interesting customers
    Very good with working around college classes, and understanding of personal issues.

Cons-bad management
    -low hours
    -mediocre pay
    -bad union
    -awful benefits
    Don't ever expect to move up the corporate ladder unless you know someone higher up who can get you in.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more, and come out of your offices to help instead of watching us on camera.

Horrible!!!

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsFlexible work hours, easy job

ConsImmature work environment and non-existent management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore opening a call center, try working in one!

Absolutely terrible unless you're in high school

ProsAs a high school student, schedules are "flexible"

ConsExpect the following: terrible scheduling, favoritism, corporate HR that is out to fire people (overheard saying that is their job security!), managers who want employees to FAIL (also their job security), terrible employee morale, and the worst thing about this "family company," is that they ONLY PROMOTE THEIR FRIENDS. When HR was "restructured," HR managers with Bachelors and Masters degrees were fired, while HR managers with 6 months experience and NO DEGREE were kept on because they were friends with "higher-ups."

This company is a joke and will be out of business sooner rather than later. Passing the company off to his daughter was the worst thing the CEO did.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward good workers, not your friends. Stop starting new programs and stopping them less than a year later. Makes you look extremely flaky.

Giant Eagle Pharmacy

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

Pros10% employee discount.

I can't think of anything else honestly.

ConsManagement - Especially in the pharmacy call center. Worst place I have ever worked. Horrible manager and horrible work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house!

worked in the bakery department doing various jobs

Bakery (Current Employee)
    Youngstown, OH

ProsIf you are a college student its good if you want part time.

ConsDont expect to gain anything here because you can put everything into your work and you dont get anywhere.It seems that the long timers are the ones who get what they want.They want to cut hours and alot of good people are leaving because of it.Too much favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on your department managers and make sure they are being a boss and not contributing to work place drama.Look at your good employees and take care of them.

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked great around my college schedule

ConsLow pay, Managers don't help you out very well, Stressful environment

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out your employees when customers are being rude instead of caring if they call corporate to complain

Worst Job Ever

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)

ProsThe only good part of this job was my co workers and my manager who tried to make it a better place to work.

ConsHorrible pay for a Pharmacy Technician. Horrible hours. Horrible benefits, HR is absolutely no help when they are needed. You are expected to work all holidays (Thanksgiving, Easter included) They allow customers to walk all over the pharmacy staff and won't back you on anything. So stressful that employees would leave and just never come back. No notice or anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying more to the techs. There is no reason for a tech to want to work here when we can make the same amount making burgers at Burger King.

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Giant Eagle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Giant Eagle CEO Laura Shapira Karet . All 291 reviews posted anonymously by Giant Eagle employees.