Giant Eagle Reviews

Reset
3.2
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; ability to work from home when needed (in 10 reviews)

• If you are a college student its good if you want part time (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess I could say that they keep up under a certain amount of hours so you are not considered a full time employee (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management plays favorites (in 15 reviews)

1. Pharmacy tech

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Okay place to work if you have nothing else going for you. Large network of stores in the area.

Cons

Unstable hours. Bad employee treatment. Slave work for minimal pay. Would not recommend anyone to work here unless you have no other option.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to make money and ignore the stress of the pharmacy employees

2. Not recommended, sexist, negative work environment

Former Employee - Overnight Stock in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Overnight Stock in Washington, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing was the customers. Customers here were pleasant, easy to please and laid back. Unlike my previous job I honestly did not run into any difficult customers here.

Cons

This was honestly the worst job I have ever held. I lasted about 3 months then walked out the door and never returned. First off I was told "Women don't stay in this position, are you sure you want this position? I don't know what it is, maybe they just don't want to work." by the manager who did my interview. This seemed a bit odd. Not to mention sexist and rude. My direct supervisor constantly set me up for failure, micromanaged to no end and every time I tried to do things in a different way, I was told it was "wrong" even though there was no training to teach me the right way to do things. There was no constructive criticism. Just "this is wrong" and no one ever told me how to do it right. So I was constantly walking on eggshells. I was the only woman (excluding one very tomboyish woman who was also related to the manager) working in the position and was treated very differently because of it. At first I thought the men there were just very old fashioned so I ignored it. But later I noticed I frequently got singled out. I was treated like the "weak link" even though I was able to lift the same amount as most of the men. Soon after I started I was sexually harassed by another employee there and the issue was supposedly dealt with. It wasn't until later I found he sexually harassed every new young woman who worked there, most of them quit either due to this worker or the sexism of fellow employees and management. If this was not this mans first count, then why was he still working there? This put all women in danger. The man was nearly three times my age so it was very frightening when I found I wasn't the only target of his perversion. Yet little to nothing was done. He gets a slap on the wrist and that was all. Eventually I had it out with my manager because he singled me out for the last time. scheduled me at 10:30 instead of 9 even though my availability since hire was that I could only start at 9. When I didn't show and came in the next day, my supervisor got in my face and screamed at me like I was a dog. I finally lost my temper as he would not allow me a single word in between his verbal abuse and screamed back, clocked out and left. I just never went back, He threatened me, saying I was going to work at 10:30 every night now bc I didn't show that one night. However, I was told at hire my availability would not be an issue. Even though I was part time I was worked 40+ hrs per week consistently. I was not given benefits but had to pay union dues. They withheld information about benefits when I asked.I worked the night shift in grocery and it was run very inefficiently too. We were to take one box at a time off a pallet to be stocked, instead of using flat carts to break the pallets down. Of course, I was yelled at for using a flat when I was told by another manager to do it that way. I have some physical problems with my legs and using the cart allowed me to do things much quicker with less pain. There's no consistency in management. No training. Lots of verbal abuse and harassment. I was just told to stock shelves and when I did it in the slightest way differently, I was screamed at. I went to two managers about my direct supervisor's behavior towards me and was just fed excuses for him. Then I was told "did you see about working at the warehouse instead?" when I asked to be transferred to day shift due to issues with my direct supervisor. I heard from multiple sources that he has always "treated women differently" so somethings wrong there! I do not suggest anyone go here for a job. This is typical of the way employees are treated overnight, especially women. And then they keep complaining about not being able to keep employees! No one, no matter how desperate is going to put up with being treated that way.

Advice to Management

Do something about the issues at the washington, pa giant eagle! Women are abused, singled out and harassed so of course they don't want to work there! Take a look at how men outnumber women on night shift. That alone should indicate a problem. The management worsens the sexism there and harassment issues need to be dealt with differently. No one should have to put up with being treated the way I was there. I saw others slack and get away with it. Then the moment I did something the wrong way I was verbally abused instead of corrected. I walked out the door because I don't deserve to be treated this way and I'm sure many women and men, have done the same. High turnover rate? Somethings wrong then! Please investigate!

3. Company has lost their way

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle (More than 5 years)

Pros

Other than 10% discount on Giant Eagle products, none.

Cons

Leadership has no vision other than to save money. Laura is not her father and is running the company into the ground.

Advice to Management

Innovation and investment instead of cutting people and budgets. Get rid of unions or you'll never be able to compete against your competition

5. Logistics

Former Employee - Logistics in Bedford, OH
    Former Employee - Logistics in Bedford, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Benefits but nothing great and expensive

Cons

Pay scale. Terrible hours. No lunch or breaks

Advice to Management

A lunch and breaks would be nice and screen your managers more. Some have serious issues.

6. People are great but employers suck

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet a bunch of wonderful people, including co workers simple job to do get paid every Thursday 10% off all giant eagle products

Cons

Not allowed to work full time management treats everyone like crap hardly ever get more then 28 hours a week

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like garbage

So sad

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Up until about two years ago, there was clear strategy (quality being the point of difference over our rivals) and strong leadership with impressive employee engagement and a big push to become a Great Place to Work.

Cons

Strategy now appears to be "plunge to the bottom" with a side of "we hate our employees". Top staff are allowed to leave without even the sniff of a fight, sometimes even encouraged to "quit if you don't like it". Zero professional development with training requests completely ignored. Ostracized if you question management "strategy", raise legitimate objections or dare to make suggestions. Morale is soul-crushingly low and there is an explicit mindset of "let things fail" before even investment is considered.

I've never seen such a complete collapse of corporate culture and identity before. It is very sad.

Advice to Management

There's no point in giving any advice to management, they're not listening anyway.

8. Go Getter

Current Employee - Go Getter in Elizabeth, PA
    Current Employee - Go Getter in Elizabeth, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Awesome coworkers
    direct deposit
    I don't have anything else that is good about Get-Go. I Hate this place and I'm only there because I need money. I am leaving in a month.

Cons

Manager hates to be flexible but requires employees to be flexible.
    Hours keep getting cut. Started with 40 hours but then everyone got cut to 20-30 hours.
    Manager has favorites and gives them more hours than the people he doesn't really like.
    Staff does not get recognition for tasks they do that are not required.

Advice to Management

Get a new job.

9. Over worked & do not listen to employees

Current Employee - Kitchen Employee in Mentor, OH
    Current Employee - Kitchen Employee in Mentor, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with & Great customers

Cons

Over worked.
    Do not follow what is put on application.
    No home life.
    Close on one day open the next. Not right.
    Team manager should show by example. But doesn't.
    Told them 20-25 hours a week on application.Has been over 30 hours every week.

Advice to Management

Team leader does not know everything.
    Listen to the real workers that make your money.
    Tell team leaders to listen to workers.

10. Pharmacy Technician

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Health benefits for 30 or 40-hour employees

Cons

Horrible pay (after 3 years & minimal annual increases, still made less than Walmart's starting salary), scheduled hours were never the same (3 hours some days, 10-12 hrs. Required on other days), promised opportunities for advancement but never happens.

Advice to Management

Constant turnover should open eyes of management to make changes.

11. Worst job experience, horrible quality, coworkers customers, not updated, will fire for no reason, not welcoming

Former Employee - Cashier in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Akron, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay every week, that's the only pro that I can think of, other than that it's a horrible company to work for I will never recommend this job to anyone I know

Cons

Everything else, horrible horrible horrible horrible, hated working here. Rude coworker and lazy customers. Can never make up their mind on what job they want you to do

Advice to Management

Provide for your employees better

RSS Feed </> Embed