Giant Eagle Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.1

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet
Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Great benefits (Health insurance for part time is literally unbeatable) (in 17 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, job different everyday (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 24 reviews)

• Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Cheap

Former Employee - Senior Programmewr in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmewr in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of good solid folks that work hard there

Cons

Lack of leadership Monkeys and a football And employees are not compensated for their efforts

Stop peeing on their legs and telling everyone its raining

Good Company

Current Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For me, my manager was always very accommodating and worked with my schedule. If you prove to be a hard worker, show up on time, and do your job well, management will notice and more opportunities will become available to you.

Cons

This is not a problem with the company but more with other team members. Many people I work with do not like what they do, and this can show with negative attitudes and laziness. I don't believe this is Giant Eagle's fault, but rather the nature of the job. Dealing with customers can be hard, and while the always-changing nature of retail can be exciting, customers can be rude. It is important to maintain a positive attitude and not let others ruin your day.

Do more to show appreciation for team members.

If your looking for a terrible, wasteful career...work at GE

Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck every week, that's about it.

Cons

Where do I start.....I have been a manager or "team leader" as they call it for over 10 years. The company is a joke. They do not care about customers or anyone who works in the stores. They care about the bottom line, their profits. If you ever seen the commercial about the company being a family, it's a complete utterly lie. They have no advancement program for anyone. They will move you to a different store every 1-3 years, dorsnt matter how far it is, I was currently traveling 3 hours aday roundtrip and they dont give you anymore in your paycheck either. You have to know someone to even move up in the company, don't think hard work and dedication works...that's the mistake I made. You will never feel appreciated. Raises are once a year and minimal. Bonuses exist but are very miniscule (less than a paycheck for the whole year). I seen them fire people because they didnt like them because they had balls and said no. They vp says he doesn't care if you work 27 hours a day but you better get you work done. So there is no work life balance, you can't take a weekend day off. You will work a lot of nights and mid shifts. They continually think they are the only game in town, I was told that several times. Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management. The CEO doesnt know how to run this company (what's left of it)

You are not "the only game in town". Customers and employees know that...stop thinking they don't. Running double fuelperks is retarded, everyone just wants lower prices for the same food you get at Wal-Mart, shopnsave, aldis, and foodlion. Quit trying to get rich quick and put the money back in the customer pockets. I could go on and on but they don't care what I have to say or anyone else for that matter. You know that survey youhave on your rreceipt and you call in to give complaints? Yea we have meetings about it and they would read them and laugh (especially when a dozens of people would say "lower prices").

The one I work at is amazing cause of the positive people.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In here you get a chance to succeed because managers are willing to do that for you.

Cons

Long working hours lots of customers.

Great management staff

Clerk

Former Employee - Clerk
    Former Employee - Clerk

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get multiple pay raises

Cons

We were always under staffed

Good Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Union, Perks, 10% Discount, Experience in Customer Service

Cons

Work and Life balance, Unstable Hours

Become more involved with employees

Experience varies depending on your store/manager.

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Depending on your position, it can be a very fun and relaxed environment. I made some really good friends in my three years there.

Cons

While I was there, corporate started changing certain policies that may have looked great on paper, but weren't in the least bit practical. Their "point" system for attendance was ridiculous. For not being part of a union (upper management would go on at length about how terrible unions were), they sure acted like there was one - terrible employees were never fired or disciplined, but those they could expect more from got the shaft all the time.

If you're going to be a manager, or in corporate, you should have to work in each department for at least one shift so you know what it's like on the floor. Otherwise the [good] employees are just going to laugh at your mandates and do their jobs the right way.

Lots of talk with little follow through

Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Some advancement in career. Over time pay for holidays. Decent hours if you're lucky enough to get them.

Cons

Low ball salaries. Upper management plays favorites. Lots of talk with change with little action. Management won't make hard but necessary decisions.

Pick a company vision and stick with it, stop changing company initiatives and identity every year. Perhaps create something on your own, and stop using other company's styles?

whatever they told me to do

Current Employee - Baker in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Baker in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Weekly pay, many areas to transfer to

Cons

no room for advancement, outside hired managers

Average minimum wage experience

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Stow, OH
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Stow, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is unionized, so the employees have some protection; scheduling time off usually works well if you have enough notice; employees are generally nice; paid vacation after a year

Cons

Can't maintain a healthy work-life balance with the hours and pay of minimum wage; upper management is not always friendly; getting time off and getting hours is based on seniority so if you're not planning to stay very long I would not recommend working here