Giant Eagle Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.1

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet
Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Great benefits (Health insurance for part time is literally unbeatable) (in 17 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, job different everyday (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 24 reviews)

• Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture and chances for improvement

Cons

Too many conflicting priorities from sr management

Work for GE over 25 years

Former Employee - Category Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If your young you can climb the ladder.
    Fair compensation.

Cons

Once you start to climb it become very stressful /painful and you are always looking over your shoulder to see who is going to stab you back to get your position.The early days you was taken care of what I mean is by that if you was loyal you never had to worry about having a job but once you hit 50 years old they want nothing to do with you unless you made it to VP.
     They have no feelings for your loyalty .

Re-think what you did over the past 5 years and how you destroy over 2000 families lifes that work for Giant Eagle more than 1/2 of their life.By letting them go and replacing them with younger kids.Try to find a new job at the age of 50!!!!

Good place to start your career while protected from incompetent management

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours to fit your schedule. Typically nice people to work with.

Cons

Only part time positions for the most part. Not alot of advancement potential.
    Closed shop: everyone must join the Union. Seemed like allot of money down the hole for relatively little benefit.

Support advancement potential whenever possible. Promoting from within is better for morale and is less costly for the company.

Front end Coordinator

Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were very nice.

Cons

No upward mobility and management is not friendly

Learn employees names

Please look elsewhere for a career

Current Employee - Cashier in Willoughby, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Willoughby, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are ok if you've been there for over 10 years, the coworkers are nice but that depends on the store you're at

Cons

The work schedule changes from week to week so it's very hard to make set plans, very little career advancement within the company, no training for career advancement unless you're hired to fill a position

Focus more on customer service and not on low prices, hire from within the company and don't just look at people outside of the store, give people full time hours and stop cutting hours to lower prices

Good if you're a teen or student but that's it

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Brecksville, OH
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Brecksville, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- They will work around your availability pretty well when it comes to classes which is a plus.
    - I guess the 10% discount off store brand stuff?

Cons

- Corporate can care less about their employees and the company has been going downhill ever since the founders daughter took over with her big plans to go from 8 to 20 billion in profit in the next 4 years. Things even got so bad for a while there that her Dad had to come out of retirement to save the company and ever since he left again things have gone downhill again.

- Stores are given very few hours to work with but are expected to do more with said shortened hours. Our store is a high EBT store and has a TON of backstock at the beginning and end of the month and there is no way we can ever clear that up since we're so understaffed. It's also completely ridiculous that customers need to wait in lines going down the aisle at 8 PM (though it doesn't help that many of my co workers move at a snails pace).

- The Union is completely useless. I am capped at 9.70 an hour after 4 years and can make 12 an hour starting pay at a store like Aldi's while not having a Union taking 10 dollars a week from me. The Union can't even get employee's healthcare unless you're a full time employee! (and good luck ever getting that)

Stop talking about how much you care about your employee's and actually show it.

An 'ok' starting point

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good first job for those in high school, flexible hours, easy work, wonderful co-workers, fun work environment

Cons

Low-pay, in-existent benefits, poorly handled asking for time-off when my cousin unexpectedly passed away, no on-going training, filthy, no first aid for employees injured on the job when I was there (private store owner made us buy our own band-aids/disinfectant when we would get cut off of the belts)

For your independently owned stores, please make sure that that the owners are paying their employees adequately and providing benefits. Also, please make sure that their first aid kits are stocked. Employees should not have to buy first aid items from the store when they are hurt on the job!

Ok

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Team members are friendly and pay is good

Cons

Standing for 8 hours straight

Evil company

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are nice. Senior employees are crazy and not afraid to speak up to management.
    Pay checks come every Thursday.

Cons

Hours will get drastically cut so owners can save money to open new stores(on the bus line where I was living there was 4 giant eagles and a market district! Within a few blocks of each other ) upper management does not care, in my case they took me from 40 plus hours a week to four four hour shifts and expected me to do the same amount of work in 4 hours that I was turning out in 8-10. You have union dues and the union will not help you when you need help. I started off as a bakery clerk and when I went to cake decorator apprentice to cake decorator I didn't see a raise!

Listen to your employees, stop building stores so close together, you're a small business, start acting like one. I can see your company going under within the next 15 years. Your prices (even with the same brands 10% discount for employees) are priced like your selling gold! $5 for a single chocolate covered strawberry? $8 a pound for hot bar food that comes in bags!! What chef in their right mind can't make haluski or spaghetti or fried chicken? I can make 10 lbs of haluski for under $5!!

They function on a skeleton crew.

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Erie, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes you have plenty if hours. They pay weekly. And they are a union. If you are interested in staying here it a while these things may be worth while.

Cons

Management moves around amongst the stores instead of a poor manager being moved out of the company. Sometimes hours are hard I come by and cross training isn't reliable.