Giant Eagle Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

3.1

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet
Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, job different everyday (in 17 reviews)

• I have worked for the company for almost 7 years as a part-time employee in the Eagle's Nest (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 23 reviews)

• Lack of communication in lower levels of management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

challenging environment

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pros to working for this company are the health-care benefits

Cons

The management is not as team member friendly as described. Once hired you are forgotten.

open your eyes to what really matters, the customer, Who is your customer, your employees

Not Good

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Leader
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Leader

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are pretty good for the employees

Cons

The company makes awful decisions and then the blame trickles down..

Get your head out of the clouds and listen to the direct lines i.e.. your employees on the front lines.

Great

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Benefits, work community, pay, company brand

Cons

Hard for growth, management is difficult

Treat all as equals

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid Job

Current Employee - Front End Cashier
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Personal growth, flexibility, training, community

Cons

Management, critical, development, time management, communications

Be more proactive and helpful as opposed to critical

Great store

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Store has a lot to choose from, also deli hot food is very very good, and the workers thru out the whole store are so nice and pleasant, which make shopping a lot better. Bakery is wonderful also and with the meat and all others stuff, just great , clean and nice.

Cons

A little bit pricey, but still will take for nice and friendly and clean.

Might need a few more people to work, sometime to check out takes forever, or waiting on other depts also can be slow due to not enough workers.

Overall a good place to work temporarily

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time

Pros

Higher than minimum wage, flexible hours, great atmosphere.

Cons

Snobby customers, availability when scheduling is sometimes ignored.

Work on your interpersonal skills and ability to deal with team members in a better way. When I was hired, you promised that the team member came first, but I do not think that this is truly the case any longer.

Not a bad place to work...if it's the only place you work.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Oil City, PA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Oil City, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Satisfactory, training, time off policies were great, as well as the scheduled raised. I never was out of the loop, because everyone here was very helpful.

Cons

Working around a second job. It was very difficult to get my schedule when it was needed, causing a lot of problems with my second job,

it's very hard to get supervisors to work with another job schedule.

Was so excited to be promoted and grow my career with this company, but sometimes things really are too good to be true.

Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Leader
    Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Leader

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are wonderful.

There is a lot of opportunity for advancement within the company.

The company gives a lot to charity which is commendable.

The pay I recieved in my position was pretty competitive.

Cons

TLDP training program doesn't prepare team leaders for their specific store.

There is a constant battle between the union and corporate hr, and as a team leader you feel really lost and confused, sort of stuck in a tug of war between the two.

The company is really unfair when it comes to where they put their money. Some stores are pretty over staffed while others barely have enough labor hours to meet business needs.

If you are a salaried manager expect to work long hours with little to nothing to show for it.

There is a HUGE disconnect between the regional business leaders and the stores. In an effort to grow profit the rbls have been cutting hours like crazy. The store leader I worked for was nearly sick at times when doing his projections for the week, and he always got blamed by TMs at the store for the hours being short. Corporate doesn't seem to care that the store leaders become the scapegoat. They do not provide some stores with enough hours to efficiently operate, and this has lead to team members, (like myself) leaving after many years of service, and also a loss of loyal customers.

I predict this grocery chain will be bought out by Kroger in the near future.

The management training program REALLY could use restructuring. I trained for my position at a huge store with tons of employees and lots of hours, only to be placed at a small town store where I ended up working alone in the department most of the time because there were no hours. I LOVED the job I learned to do in training, but in my role I never got to do it, my management tasks ended up becoming afterthoughts to get to when my regular work was completed. I felt as though I couldn't do my best in my role because I wasn't given the resources to perform.

Also, with the 2020 cost saving initiative you are driving your company into the ground. Please realize that Giant Eagle's point of difference has always been customer service. By reducing hours in the departments to bare minimums, you are lowering morale, customer service, availability of product, and running the one thing that made GE better than Walmart. Team members see it, everyone is burned out, I have seen my TMs in tears because they were so overwhelmed. I know that your labor numbers look great on paper, but these departments can't run like this forever. You are losing great team members. You lost me, and I was planning on staying with the company for life. Dare to be different, what is good and what right always wins in the end.

Be careful

Current Employee - Front End Team Leader
    Current Employee - Front End Team Leader

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy to transfer, and different job opportunities

Cons

Discipline is not fair, firm and consistent across the board, many team members not doing there jobs and never coached for it.

Do not get caught up in the click, treat everyone fairly

Good company, hamstrung by the union.

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most positions have flexible hours and accommodate complex schedules. Friendly and supportive work environment. Partial benefits after a year, full benefits after two. Scheduled (small) raises. Near total job security. Easy to transfer to other jobs or locations.

Cons

It is virtually impossible to get a full time position. All union positions are awarded purely by seniority, and non-union management positions are rarely posted and extremely competitive. In the entire company there is no policy in place that rewards hard work or dedication. Young people are stuck footing the bill for the lucrative benefits that older team members enjoy. For instance, many older workers have six weeks of paid vacation and anyone hired in the past eight years will max out at four weeks.

Negotiate some flexibility in balancing the considerations of seniority and performance in employee scheduling and compensation.

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!